Player Discussion It's Time to Talk About Andrej Sekera

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Sekera was great last year too but a obviously not as great. Had to play on his offside a bit too much and needed a little bit lighter load. Larsson helped ease his quality minutes.

Great pick up. A great #2 at least this year.

Sekera was my choice for FA dmen last season. He is a solid top 3 dman when he has a competent supporting cast to help carry some of the load.

Amazing what a little supporting depth can do. Sekera was forced to do too much last season and it showed. Surround him with capable dmen and he shines.

Nice to see that this team finally has a GM that understands how important depth on defence is..

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Sekera and Letestu have been our unsung heroes this year. Another feather in Chia's cap, I honestly have no idea how anyone could think Chia hasn't done a good job.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Sekera and Letestu have been our unsung heroes this year. Another feather in Chia's cap, I honestly have no idea how anyone could think Chia hasn't done a good job.

He's made some moves that were poor or make you scratch your head for sure.

At the end of the day though this team is winning way more games and a lot of it has to do with the changes he's made. Fans of other clubs are so pissed off that the Oilers are finally winning again and are getting all foamy at the mouth. We knew this was coming. We have been preparing ourselves for the 'But it's only because of McDavid' and 'LOL so many draft picks' type comments.

But all that should matter to us fans is that this is a winning team again. The goal is the Stanley Cup and nothing short of that will do in the long run.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sekera was my choice for FA dmen last season. He is a solid top 3 dman when he has a competent supporting cast to help carry some of the load.

Amazing what a little supporting depth can do. Sekera was forced to do too much last season and it showed. Surround him with capable dmen and he shines.

Nice to see that this team finally has a GM that understands how important depth on defence is..

Nice to see that this team finally has a GM period.

Reinhart aside, Chia's acquisitions from last year are paying off big time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He's made some moves that were poor or make you scratch your head for sure.

At the end of the day though this team is winning way more games and a lot of it has to do with the changes he's made. Fans of other clubs are so pissed off that the Oilers are finally winning again and are getting all foamy at the mouth. We knew this was coming. We have been preparing ourselves for the 'But it's only because of McDavid' and 'LOL so many draft picks' type comments.

But all that should matter to us fans is that this is a winning team again. The goal is the Stanley Cup and nothing short of that will do in the long run.

:yo:

He's a riverboat gambler. Did the Reinhart deal work out or signing Gus? No. But how about: Maroon, Talbot, Kassian, Sekera, Caggiula, Benning, et al.

His moves have overwhelmingly, as a whole, been excellent for us. He's building a good team, like I said last night, I wouldn't want to face us in the playoffs. We have size, skill, toughness, and heart. That's the biggest thing for me, this team has heart. They battle for each other and we can all see it.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
He was how old when we signed him? How is that remotely comparable to acquiring a 23 year old? My god you were a sucker. Can't believe your still bringing this up every chance you get when it's crystal clear it was the right move.

Then serially sign guys of that age.
It's not anywhere near crystal clear :laugh:

Anyways I meant my comment to more be about how good a signing this was. We got the top Dman in FA and it was worth it.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hes been our best D and a legit top pairing to #1 D all season. This is what he was brought in here to do. Our D core is going to be strong for years to come with Klefbom/Larsson/Sekera has our top D and base. Sekera is right bang on 30 to so still has 4/5 good years left

Hell allow the young guys to play in softer minutes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I laughed every time someone tried to tell me Petry is as good as Sekera.

Don't get me wrong Petry in our line up would be good and that was messed up by Mac T. However I personally think Sekera is significantly better than Petry and both make the same money to boot. If you watched the Habs highlights from last night, and other nights, the bone headed Petry still shows up periodically.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Don't get me wrong Petry in our line up would be good and that was messed up by Mac T. However I personally think Sekera is significantly better than Petry and both make the same money to boot. If you watched the Habs highlights from last night, and other nights, the bone headed Petry still shows up periodically.

Theres some Habs writers that say Petry is their best D this year, over Weber. Petry got a bit screwed here being the go to guy with zero support. Sekera has Russell, older Klefbom, Larsson and a solid bottom pairing to spread the work load around. Perty would look pretty good here as well

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

They are fairly equal IMO, Petry has really developed the last 2 years into a very solid Dman. Both are a #2/#3 depending on role and D partner. I think Petry is a bit more dynamic offensively, Sekera is a bit more steady defensively.

Sekera has had a good year and I went to bat for him many times last season when half of HFOil was throwing him in trades but I feel that he's being a bit overrated in this thread. He hasn't been playing at a #1 level, not even close really.

He's a good support player, solid and steady but he's not dynamic offensively and he's not elite defensively either. He's just a solid, reliable vet Dman which is what the Oilers need due to so much youth on the blueline but lets not mistake him for something more than that.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
A lot of Habs fans hate Weber because they believe Subban was their golden child and the second best player on the planet next to Price.

I think Weber is clearly the superior defender compared to Subban myself.

Agree with the comments about Petry being a solid player I just see Petry as a step down from Sekera. I think that the Eastern style of play being so much less physical really helps Petry out. Plus he is behind Weber... Who eats far more of the tough minutes than say Larsson does for Sekera. 5 more minutes a game.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Petry is Weber lite and Sekera is Josi lite. I was always a fan of Petry. Just didn't like him not utilizing his shot enough

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
We simply should not have lost Petry in the way we did. If the rumours are correct Petry could have been signed long term for significantly less money than he is being paid by the Habs. Total incompetence by MacT. So thankful we now have Chia.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nice to see that this team finally has a GM period.

Reinhart aside, Chia's acquisitions from last year are paying off big time.

Agree completely.

Chia's moves (by and large) have been pretty damn good so far.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I find that he's quite overrated. Unpopular opinion, I know. But listen to me before you reply.

I actually quite like Sekera. He's a great defenseman, and has an underrated skill: He knows exactly when and where to slide on 2-on-1 rushes. I see him as a great #3, but nothing more. Shinkera is a part of that (so frustrating) but also, in my opinion he doesn't have any of the physical tools to be a top pairing guy. He's not too fast, not particularly physical (although he's not bad) and we all know about his shot. He thinks the game very well, and is quite a good passer. He's a great complementary piece. I'd prefer for him to be at 4-4.5 million per season, but I'll keep him even on his current contract. The talk of him being a #2 guy is just false, however.

Just my opinion, I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Edit: The physical tools are why I think Larsson is better, Nurse will be better, and Klefbom and Benning will likely be better. That's not a knock on Reggie.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I got absolutely flamed this past summer for claiming he was a better defenseman the Larsson. Loved the signing a year a ago and he's showing why teams love him, he's reliable and can move the puck well. The definition of a 2 way dman

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I got absolutely flamed this past summer for claiming he was a better defenseman the Larsson. Loved the signing a year a ago and he's showing why teams love him, he's reliable and can move the puck well. The definition of a 2 way dman

As I said, I still don't think he's better than Larsson. He's also much older.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

well....smaller and left handed probably levels the value.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
I find that he's quite overrated. Unpopular opinion, I know. But listen to me before you reply.

I actually quite like Sekera. He's a great defenseman, and has an underrated skill: He knows exactly when and where to slide on 2-on-1 rushes. I see him as a great #3, but nothing more. Shinkera is a part of that (so frustrating) but also, in my opinion he doesn't have any of the physical tools to be a top pairing guy. He's not too fast, not particularly physical (although he's not bad) and we all know about his shot. He thinks the game very well, and is quite a good passer. He's a great complementary piece. I'd prefer for him to be at 4-4.5 million per season, but I'll keep him even on his current contract. The talk of him being a #2 guy is just false, however.

Just my opinion, I'm curious as to what you guys think.

Edit: The physical tools are why I think Larsson is better, Nurse will be better, and Klefbom and Benning will likely be better. That's not a knock on Reggie.

If that's the case we are going to end up with a freakin awesome defence.

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
Yeah I know lol. So excited. But do you think any of those are unrealistic?

It is possible for sure, I just think it unlikely. A lot would have to go right.

Could you imagine though having a defence where Sekera is your 5th best defenceman? ....Drool!

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
It is possible for sure, I just think it unlikely. A lot would have to go right.

Could you imagine though having a defence where Sekera is your 5th best defenceman? ....Drool!

We'd probably have to convince him to agree to a trade due to cap reasons if Nurse and Benning develop that well, but yeah. That would be SWEET. I mean, I'd argue that Nurse, Benning, Klefbom, and Larsson already have better physical tools than Sekera, but only Larsson is able to use them effectively enough to be better than Sekera. But if we develop them right, It's a possibility. I mean, Klefbom, Benning and Nurse already have better shot, speed, and physicality than Reggie. Hopefully we develop them well. This year has been encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad