Player Discussion It's Time to Talk About Andrej Sekera

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
I was shocked when I went to bump a thread about Andrej that I did not find one. This guy has been playing very well this season with very little praise and recognition.

Currently Sekera is 9th on the team in points with 21 which includes 5 goals. He's our highest scoring D, consistently making crisp passes and pushing the play. Along with this, other than Larrson, I think he's been our most consistent D in the defensive zone. I've been to a handful of games this year and he seems like a real mature leader on the bench and on the ice between breaks- a guy that's not too old for the younger guys to identify with. He's been a great pickup.

Last edited:

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Sekera is amazing. Getting a player like him for zero assets is what kills me about the Hall trade.

Great signing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Sekera is amazing. Getting a player like him for zero assets is what kills me about the Hall trade.

Great signing.

He was how old when we signed him? How is that remotely comparable to acquiring a 23 year old? My god you were a sucker. Can't believe your still bringing this up every chance you get when it's crystal clear it was the right move.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Sekera was great last year too but a obviously not as great. Had to play on his offside a bit too much and needed a little bit lighter load. Larsson helped ease his quality minutes.

Great pick up. A great #2 at least this year.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Best dman for Oilers this season. I wasn't a huge fan last season, but I can see that it could have been him just adjusting to a new system.

He's still aiming at shinpads though. I absolutely hate it when he tries shooting. Unless of course it's in OT when there are less shinpads out there.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sekera is finally playing like the player we thought we had when we signed him. Just a solid defender that doesn't make many mistakes. He's a very heady player. Not the best shot, not a great skater, above average puck skills, but he's just too calm and smart that he makes it work.

Now that that's out of the way, he still frustrates me with his inability to get shots through on net. He's really bad at that.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He has been really good most of the season but odd timing on the thread because he was very poor tonight. Maybe he's a bit banged up still from that blocked shot last game because he was way off tonight as was most of the team.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's exceeded my expectations. I thought he was a #4 guy when the Oilers signed him but he's playing like a legit #2 right now

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
He has been really good most of the season but odd timing on the thread because he was very poor tonight. Maybe he's a bit banged up still from that blocked shot last game because he was way off tonight as was most of the team.

I was at the game, so maybe it's saw it differently syndrome but I thought he was very good. :laugh:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Sometimes it takes a full season for a player to adjust to a new environment. He looks so much better than he did last year. That's why I'm still holding out hope for Lucic.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I was at the game, so maybe it's saw it differently syndrome but I thought he was very good. :laugh:

Maybe the live game experience was different but he had two very glaring turnovers in the 1st, was handling the puck like a grenade most of the night and Shinkera was in full effect. I'm a big fan of his play this season but tonight was one to forget IMO.
I think Larsson is starting to become the Oilers best Dman over these past few weeks which is a good thing, we need Larsson to be our best Dman if the team is to go places.

Last edited:

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Maybe the live game experience was different but he had two very glaring turnovers in the 1st, was handling the puck like a grenade most of the night and Shinkera was in full effect. I'm a big fan of his play this season but tonight was one to forget IMO.
I think Larsson is starting to become the Oilers Dman over these past few weeks which is a good thing, we need Larsson to be our best Dman if the team is to go places.

I don't disagree with the Shinkera thing, but I thought he did well driving the play and he handled rotations well in the defensive zone when they went on long cycles. His puck handling was off but that was hard to focus on because everyone's was... the ice was absolutely awful. I missed the glaring mistakes though as I have a habit of watching off the puck play a bit too much as it interests me. You may very well be right. :)

With that being said, watching the play off the puck is what's given me my love for Adam Larrson. This guy is an absolute menace to anyone that comes near him in the defensive zone on or off the puck. All the flashier stops he makes might honestly be the after thought I have about him because watching him just do the little things correctly makes me so, so excited for his future. Wish he had a little bit of offence to his game because I honestly see a good passing ability and he absolutely sees lanes, just seems more often than not he would rather differ perhaps due to the role he's been given. Regardless, I agree with your assessment.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Best Oiler D this year because he can defend AND move the puck to create some offense.

Rough game tonight but that was maybe 1 of 3 games where he wasn't awesome. Otherwise been extremely solid.

PeakMcOil

Loyal To The Oil
Jul 25, 2008
His worst game as an Oiler, or damn close, tonight. Still like the signing and player obviously, and he's been really good all year.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Tonight he wasn't very good :laugh:

But he's been far and away the best d-man on the team this year, and no one else has been remotely close.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The thread is about Andrej Sekera, not Taylor Hall. Please stay on topic.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
It's pretty awesome that we can feel confident whenever our Top-4 is out on the ice. Rej has been our #1 for most of the season and he has had a calming effect on our roster.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sekera has been outstanding this season, like he was last season. I still want to see him paired with Larsson for a few games, to see a true top pairing.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Interesting timing on the thread but overall Sekera has been very good for us.

A lot of people were unsure of him last year along with Letestu and I'm glad Chia's signings are paying off.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Tonight he wasn't very good :laugh:

But he's been far and away the best d-man on the team this year, and no one else has been remotely close.

Agreed about tonight, but he usually plays incredibly well. Only 31, too. We should get this kinda play for years.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I was always a fan of him, even last season when he was bashed on for basically everything.
Now he's adjusted in Edmonton, the team, and his play. Love this guy.
his skill for hitting players shin pads is like no other. best in the NHL. no one can ever compare.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
He had a rough go last year where he looked more like a #3/4, but he's back to looking like a #2, which has been huge for us. Having 3 other legit top 4 dmen in the top 4 likely plays a big part in that. The thing that impresses me most is how deadly he is 3 on 3

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
i thought the puck was bouncing on everyone tonight. it makes players look bad, but it's hard to blame them for it. Sekera has been a solid D for us all year, he's not elite, but I believe he's somewhere in the 50th to 75th best dman in the league. This team would be in huge trouble without him.

On a side note, hopefully the Rogers Place ice guys can fix this ice, it's been far from great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad