Player Discussion It's Time to Talk About Andrej Sekera

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Sekera has had a good year and I went to bat for him many times last season when half of HFOil was throwing him in trades but I feel that he's being a bit overrated in this thread. He hasn't been playing at a #1 level, not even close really.

Totally disagree. Sekera has played like a #1, and he has the simple and advanced stats to prove it. He is so smooth out there that he is being criminally underrated in this thread, although the Edmonton Journal writers have been unanimous in recognizing his outstanding play. He has been a lot better than Larsson, whom I do like.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I find that he's quite overrated. The talk of him being a #2 guy is just false, however.

You have posted this nonsense before but you never support your position with anything tangible.

Its fine not to like a player but that shouldn't cloud your judgment on the reality of what that player brings to the table..

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Totally disagree. Sekera has played like a #1, and he has the simple and advanced stats to prove it. He is so smooth out there that he is being criminally underrated in this thread, although the Edmonton Journal writers have been unanimous in recognizing his outstanding play. He has been a lot better than Larsson, whom I do like.

And what did the advanced stats show?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
You have posted this nonsense before but you never support your position with anything tangible.

Its fine not to like a player but that shouldn't cloud your judgment on the reality of what that player brings to the table..

That's literally the first time I've ever posted that. You must be confusing me with someone else. And, as I've said numerous times, I like Sekera. I just think HFOil tends to overrate him somewhat.

Edit: I also said, in that post, exactly why I think he's a high end #3 and not a #2. If you'd bothered to read it...

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
That's literally the first time I've ever posted that. You must be confusing me with someone else. And, as I've said numerous times, I like Sekera. I just think HFOil tends to overrate him somewhat.

Edit: I also said, in that post, exactly why I think he's a high end #3 and not a #2. If you'd bothered to read it...

Its entirely possible that I may have you confused with another poster...if so then my apologies.

My point still stands though...you havent supported your position in this thread with anything of substance.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Agree completely.

Chia's moves (by and large) have been pretty damn good so far.

Absolutely. The Reinhart trade is the only one that cannot at least be argued to be positive for the team.

Bringing Larsson in feels as much about culture as anything else. From that perspective I think Chiarelli has to be a win as GM. Tambo and MacT never sniffed the playoffs. Second year and Chiarelli has us fighting for the division lead in January.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Its entirely possible that I may have you confused with another poster...if so then my apologies.

My point still stands though...you havent supported your position in this thread with anything of substance.

I feel like speed, shot, and physicality are things of "substance," as you put them.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
Full value for the contract plus 10%. You dont often say that about Unrestricted free agents.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Absolutely. The Reinhart trade is the only one that cannot at least be argued to be positive for the team.

Bringing Larsson in feels as much about culture as anything else. From that perspective I think Chiarelli has to be a win as GM. Tambo and MacT never sniffed the playoffs. Second year and Chiarelli has us fighting for the division lead in January.

I agree.

The real work begins now though. They play the better teams in the last 30+ games. That will really give us an idea of just how good this team is.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I feel like speed, shot, and physicality are things of "substance," as you put them.

Sekera is very effective and versatile.

He is a very valuable player and worth his contract IMO.

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
Best "high profile" UFA signing in quite a long time for this team and honestly the league. Rarely do guys out preform their pay-day and I don't think there's any doubt he has.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
When was the last time a dman got 40 for us? Visnovsky?

Souray with 53 in 2008-09. Gilbert had 45, Grebeshkov had 39 and Lubo had 31. Lubo had over 40 points in 2009-10 but he was traded to Anaheim midway through the season.

Last Oiler to score 60 or was Coffey in 1986-87 with 67.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad