It's time to get rid of these way too many NHL awards

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'd get rid of the Lady Byng, Selke, King Clancy, Bill Masterton, etc, those are all excess awards to me. The Jennings shouldn't exist at all. Pointless, team award that is given to a goaltender... Any Mark Messier award. I'm sure that there are plenty of others I'm just not thinking about right now. The Selke trophy would be a valuable trophy if it wasn't a reputation award.

Norris, Vezina, Conn Smythe, Calder, etc, need to stay.

I wouldn't be opposed to combining the Hart/Lindsay, as having an "MVP" and "Most Outstanding" is a bit redundant.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Needs to be an award for the best windsurfing defenseman. -Doesn't have to be the best at windsurfing - although that would help. Just the best in a very general sense.

And if their team is not in the playoffs they should not be considered, cause let's face it, that would just be a joke.

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
Would rather see them get rid of the Lindsay and have the players vote on the Hart.

I'd love only peer group voting. Even for the Adams - coaches know who are tough guys to coach against.

Maybe ex-coaches or ex-players who are writers could be in as well.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd get rid of the Lady Byng, Selke, King Clancy, Bill Masterton, etc, those are all excess awards to me. The Jennings shouldn't exist at all. Pointless, team award that is given to a goaltender... Any Mark Messier award. I'm sure that there are plenty of others I'm just not thinking about right now. The Selke trophy would be a valuable trophy if it wasn't a reputation award.

Norris, Vezina, Conn Smythe, Calder, etc, need to stay.

I wouldn't be opposed to combining the Hart/Lindsay, as having an "MVP" and "Most Outstanding" is a bit redundant.

I think they're worth keeping separately.

Hart = The most positively impactful player for his respective team.

Lindsay = The most outstanding player in all aspects of hockey for the season regardless of team, therefore adjudged by his peers.

Flapjack

Oct 29, 2014
White Rock, BC
My girlfrieng goes to almost all the Caps home games with me... but I can assure you she has no idea what a Selke or Vezina trophy means. First team All-NHL - she'll understand that.

Well since your girlfriend doesn't understand than I guess that's as good a reason as any to overthrow decades of hockey tradition.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
The Hart Trophy should either be replaced or re-defined. In basically all other team sports there is an award for best player, but with the Hart there is that stupid line "to his team". Who cares about who is most valuable "to his team" if there is another person on a better team who is plain and simply a more valuable player overall? Logically this second player would be even more valuable "to his team" if they switched places.

If we took a bunch of guys from HF Boards and created an NHL team which lost 82 games, one of us could still technically be as eligible for the Hart Trophy as a real star player.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The Hart Trophy should either be replaced or re-defined. In basically all other team sports there is an award for best player, but with the Hart there is that stupid line "to his team". Who cares about who is most valuable "to his team" if there is another person on a better team who is plain and simply a more valuable player overall? Logically this second player would be even more valuable "to his team" if they switched places.

If we took a bunch of guys from HF Boards and created an NHL team which lost 82 games, one of us could still technically be as eligible for the Hart Trophy as a real star player.

Yes that's true.. and I'm not sure why you see that as a negative though.

If next year say Crosby and Malkin both generate 100 pts but Connor McDavid puts up 100 pts while Edmonton still mainly sucks, who is the best player or more valuable player. The one who is ought to get the award by how much more impact of significance they make.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Yes that's true.. and I'm not sure why you see that as a negative though.

If next year say Crosby and Malkin both generate 100 pts but Connor McDavid puts up 100 pts while Edmonton still mainly sucks, who is the best player or more valuable player. The one who is ought to get the award by how much more impact of significance they make.

The problem is that this makes you dependent on the team you play on. You have to rely on things you can't always control to win the award.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad