It's time to get rid of these way too many NHL awards

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
There's too many darn awards in the NHL.

MVP

Rookie of the Year

Coach of the Year

That's all you need. Then have some All-NHL 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams

For example, this years All-NHL first team would be (in my opinion): Ovi, Tavares, Nash, Subban, Karlsson, and Price... then you can announce a second and third team all-nhl team. I think that is less complicated and makes the awards not as confusing for newer fans. Heck, I think a lot of hockey fans that have been watching for years don't even know all the NHL awards or what they all mean. Plus, it gets more players more recognition this way. For example, Benn- if he was considered an All-NHL second team guy this year - that's awesome and deserving. Way better than just not being nominated for the top 3 in 293829392 other awards...

Plus, instead of saying someone is "Hart finalist and Selke winner this year and that year, etc. you can just say something like "Ovi, the 3 time MVP and 5 times 1st Team-NHL bla bla bla" when describing him... much easier. Anyone would be able to understand that and realize that means the guy is really good. My girlfrieng goes to almost all the Caps home games with me... but I can assure you she has no idea what a Selke or Vezina trophy means. First team All-NHL - she'll understand that.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All-NHL (3 forwards, 2 d guys, and 1 goalie on each team). That's 9 forwards, 6 D guys, and 3 goalies that can be All-NHL each year. I like that much more. It gives more players a chance that are having good years to have a nice accomplishment - is easier to understand - and people wouldn't feel like a great year goes unnoticed. If Price got 1st team All-NHL this season and Dubnyk got 2nd team All-NHL that's fantastic for both of them and they both derserve something like that. Just being nominated but losing an award is kind of lame and just rewards 1 player in certain aspects of the game.

Thoughts on something like this? Keep it simple to just 3 main awards and then have All-NHL teams?

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
There's too many darn awards in the NHL.

MVP

Rookie of the Year

Coach of the Year

That's all you need. Then have some All-NHL 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams

For example, this years All-NHL first team would be (in my opinion): Ovi, Tavares, Nash, Subban, Karlsson, and Price... then you can announce a second and third team all-nhl team. I think that is less complicated and makes the awards not as confusing for newer fans. Heck, I think a lot of hockey fans that have been watching for years don't even know all the NHL awards or what they all mean. Plus, it gets more players more recognition this way. For example, Benn- if he was considered an All-NHL second team guy this year - that's awesome and deserving. Way better than just not being nominated for the top 3 in 293829392 other awards...

Plus instead of saying someone is "Hart finalist and Selke winner this year and that year, etc. you can just say something like "Ovi, the 3 time MVP and 5 times 1st Team-NHL bla bla bla" when describing him... much easier.

1st, 2nd, and 3rd team All-NHL (3 forwards, 2 d guys, and 1 goalie on each team). That's 9 forwards, 6 D guys, and 3 goalies that can be All-NHL each year. I like that much more. It gives more players a chance that are having good years to have a nice accomplishment - is easier to understand - and people wouldn't feel like a great year goes unnoticed. If Price got 1st team All-NHL this season and Dubnyk got 2nd team All-NHL that's fantastic for both of them and they both derserve something like that. Just being nominated but losing an award is kind of lame and just rewards 1 player in certain aspects of the game.

Thoughts on something like this? Keep it simple to just 3 main awards and then have All-NHL teams?

1st and 2nd All-Star Teams already exist.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
What's wrong with more awards?

For that matter, what's so essential about the ones that you kept? Get rid of them all.

Comic Book Guy*

Dude, stop including everyone in your rant. No one is confused about the NHL awards. It's just you. Look around. No one is confused about them. It's just you.

When no one is complaining about something, and it's just you bringing it up, usually the thing that's wrong isn't the thing you're complaining about.

It's just you. Don't make this sound like it's consensus that there are too many awards. It's just you.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
TL;DR Version.

OP doesn't understand all of the awards and struggles to keep track of them. He wants to eliminate just about every single one.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Then just ignore the other awards? I'm not sure exactly why the existance of the other awards is such a problem.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
My girlfrieng goes to almost all the Caps home games with me... but I can assure you she has no idea what a Selke or Vezina trophy means. First team All-NHL - she'll understand that.

Was your girlfriend not attending games when a Capitals goalie won the Vezina?

If you don't know what a trophy is, learn it. Example:

"Honey, what's a Vezina?"
"Georges Vezina was a goalie that played ages ago. He was really good, the award for best goalie in a season is named in his honour."

Not especially difficult.

Conversely, I had no idea what "First Team NHL All-Star" meant until a few months ago when I was looking up something else, and the phrase "first team all-NHL" is completely meaningless to me.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Was your girlfriend not attending games when a Capitals goalie won the Vezina?

If you don't know what a trophy is, learn it. Example:

"Honey, what's a Vezina?"
"Georges Vezina was a goalie that played ages ago. He was really good, the award for best goalie in a season is named in his honour."

Not especially difficult.

Conversely, I had no idea what "First Team NHL All-Star" meant until a few months ago when I was looking up something else, and the phrase "first team all-NHL" is completely meaningless to me.

Woah, woah, back up. What is 'goaltender'?

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I've followed hockey my whole life and I just learned that the "NHL Foundation Award" is a thing.

It's existence doesn't bother me. I could do without the Mark Messier Leadership Award that I find cringeworthy but I'm ok with the having so many awards.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Why get rid of some awards? It makes the players who win them happy, the hockey media loves to cover it, and fans like to see their favorite player win one. In fact they should add more awards. Maybe make an award for every player in the league.

Ttracer*

Emphasis should be more on team never liked individual hockey awards

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
not sure why its important to keep it simple. I mean that simple. hart trophy is almost always a forward. so, the best goalie in the league and the best defenseman don't rate?

nah

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I would be fine with the Messier trophy being eliminated, simply because he was a ****** ****ing leader when he was in Vancouver.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad