TBN: It's time for Terry to talk

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/02/its-time-for-terry-to-talk-today.html?ref=brp

As of 2:20pm, Sabres confirm Pegula will not do any interviews today.

In the wake of last night's fiasco against Winnipeg, my interview request is foolish. This is no time for any big picture reflection. The franchise is in complete crisis and Pegula doesn't need to do any perfunctory 10-minute phone interview with me.

He needs to stand in front of me, WGR Radio, the Olean Times Herald, every televsion camera in town and every other outlet that comes in from time to time in Western New York and Southern Ontario and explain what in the world is going on here.

The fan base is in an uproar. They feel like suckers taken for a ride on tickets, merchandise, concessions and parking. Believe me, I didn't take it lightly asking Lindy Ruff for his thoughts last night about the fan base clearly hating this team. And I chose the word intentionally. (For those of you tweeting at me that you don't hate this team, I submit that you haven't been in the building this year to hear what's become the league's most dreadful home-ice "advantage")

Ruff and Darcy Regier have far outlived their usefulness and the entire hockey world sees it. I've done seven out-of-town interviews in the last three weeks and EVERY ONE of them has asked some form of the following question: How do these two guys still have jobs?

It's a question the owner needs to answer. Today.

And I don't disagree. While I hold no anger towards Pegula ... I want to simply hear where he stands at the moment. Not unreasonable. If we're to believe that big changes are coming...and then we see McCormick waived.... I'd like that explained to me.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
Either Terry or Ted. Honestly, I don't think Terry really knows what's going on or how they're going to turn it around, so him getting in front of people probably wouldn't accomplish much.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How/why on Earth would Pegula explain something like McCormick being waived? It's not like they traded Ryan Miller. He should probably address the media about the direction of the organization but I wouldn't expect it.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I think the phrase... "The franchise is in complete crisis." is a bit overstated.

It fits the current mood though, so it will be well-received.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2013/02/its-time-for-terry-to-talk-today.html?ref=brp

As of 2:20pm, Sabres confirm Pegula will not do any interviews today.

And I don't disagree. While I hold no anger towards Pegula ... I want to simply hear where he stands at the moment. Not unreasonable. If we're to believe that big changes are coming...and then we see McCormick waived.... I'd like that explained to me.

I don't hold any anger against Pegula either. We haven't seen his next move, and he hasn't shown his cards. For all we know, Terry and Co. aren't seeing any legitimate ways to improve the team right now and are standing pat waiting for an opportunity. Seriously...if ROR is going to cost us Grigorenko and other pieces, I see this as a lateral move in the long game. Someone else in an entirely different thread mentioned that Lindy would never be fired mid-season. I agree we should let this season run it's course and let Lindy leave with a little bit of class. At least one thing would be guaranteed: our draft position will hike higher if no changes are made.

I think what's going through Terry's mind currently is the realization that this isn't (nor will it be) a playoff team. Management has to fully accept that this team is going nowhere in order to assess where to go from here. If you just keep adding small tweaks to a nucleus of players that haven't done much good for years, then you're just wasting your time. I'm really not trying to be a hypocrite, but from management to the players, changes need to be made. But coaching is where it should start.

At this point, the most embarrassing thing is knowing that the coaching is the problem, yet nothing will be done about it until this train wreck of a season drags out. I feel guilty because I've never been a fair weather fan, but watching this team right now is truly the most nauseating it's ever been.

Last edited:

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
How/why on Earth would Pegula explain something like McCormick being waived? It's not like they traded Ryan Miller. He should probably address the media about the direction of the organization but I wouldn't expect it.

Where on earth did that article say Pegula should explain waiving Cody McCormick?

JonathanWashington

Hockey in Cairo
Dec 26, 2004
Manhattan
I like how the buffalo news tries to ruin the franchise. While they don't do it here, its total toxic buffoonery to mention the buffalo bills in the context of our hockey organization. The 15 years of nothing mantra is an example of their success.

Karate Johnson*

I think the phrase... "The franchise is in complete crisis." is a bit overstated.

It fits the current mood though, so it will be well-received.

I would consider the highest payroll in the league for Team last place team a crisis.

And it's not like it's year 1.

We are worse than when he took over.

BuiltTagonTough

Stand still laddy!
Jul 2, 2009
Buffalo
I don't hold any anger against Pegula either. We haven't seen his next move, and he hasn't shown his cards. For all we know, Terry and Co. aren't seeing any legitimate ways to improve the team right now and are standing pat waiting for an opportunity. Seriously...if ROR is going to cost us Grigorenko and other pieces, I see this as a lateral move in the long game. Someone else in an entirely different thread mentioned that Lindy would never be fired mid-season. I agree we should let this season run it's course and let Lindy leave with a little bit of class.

At this point, the most embarrassing thing is knowing that the coaching is the problem, yet nothing will be done about it until this train wreck of a season drags out. I feel guilty because I've never been a fair weather fan, but watching this team right now is truly the most nauseating it's ever been.

I hate that.

If we let Lindy on for the rest of the season it's because there is nobody to take the spot for the interim and they want a Top 5 pick.

If you can't do your job, you go. 4-10-1 in our last 15. There is no class remaining. Fix the team you are paid MILLIONS to coach, or GTFO.

More on topic: I really couldn't care less if Terry came out and did a presser. Remember how much we hated when our previous owners got involved? Maybe Ted doing one would be more appropriate. But I don't blame Terry for not explaining the season as it is to the media.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
TBN didn't go after the Rigas' this hard, and they were legitimate crooks.

It would be NICE to hear Pegula say something, but it's almost guaranteed that he won't now because TBN demanded that he should.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Unless Terry is willing to announce Lindy being fired or a huge trade (which goes against everything he's said, about letting the GM handle the hockey), then him standing up and talking would just make people even more pissed off, because they're not going to be satisfactory answers.

Karate Johnson*

I like how the buffalo news tries to ruin the franchise. While they don't do it here, its total toxic buffoonery to mention the buffalo bills in the context of our hockey organization.

The Bills are more a more competent organization. They suck too, but at least they make changes when it doesn't work.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Yawn. Mike Harrington needs to realize that Pegula's don't owe him ****, and that includes a presser, etc.

Terry will answer to the fans, and how he will answer to the fans is by ticket sales.

Not some angry sportswriters who make a living at the sabres teet.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
TBN didn't go after the Rigas' this hard, and they were legitimate crooks.

It would be NICE to hear Pegula say something, but it's almost guaranteed that he won't now because TBN demanded that he should.

The team was successful during Rigas' ownership, so there wasn't really a need to jump on them/him.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Unless Terry is willing to announce Lindy being fired or a huge trade (which goes against everything he's said, about letting the GM handle the hockey), then him standing up and talking would just make people even more pissed off, because they're not going to be satisfactory answers.

I'd like to think that any intelligent hockey mind would give him the benefit of the doubt, in that he's simply talking and not standing behind a Ted Black forcefield.

At least I would.

If he says Ruff/Regier are the ones to take us there, I'd disagree wholeheartedly, but I'd know that that's where his mind sits; more than I know now.

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
The Owner of the Club isn't going to speak until changes have been made and changes aren't going to be made mid-season.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I hate that.

If we let Lindy on for the rest of the season it's because there is nobody to take the spot for the interim and they want a Top 5 pick.

If you can't do your job, you go. 4-10-1 in our last 15. There is no class remaining. Fix the team you are paid MILLIONS to coach, or GTFO.

More on topic: I really couldn't care less if Terry came out and did a presser. Remember how much we hated when our previous owners got involved? Maybe Ted doing one would be more appropriate. But I don't blame Terry for not explaining the season as it is to the media.

I hate it too, but it's been 15 years. If you think the love affair between Darcy and Lindy is going to end abruptly because of one horrid stretch (and we've had many through the years), you'd be pretty wrong. The approval for Ruff is at the lowest point it's probably ever been, but they're the Buffalo Sabres. No other organization runs their team the way they do. Relationships with one another rule over smart hockey moves and success.

Being buddy-buddy seems to be more important to this organization than winning a Stanley Cup, and it truly makes me want to puke on my shoes.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
They use to offer two-ply bathroom tissue at the arena. The new stuff is clearly one-ply that does not leave a lemony scent on my ass. Pegula's silence on this matter speaks volumes about the direction of this franchise, IMO. They clearly don't give a ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad