Its time for JR to fix this D... If he knows how...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't think Streit would cost that much, but at the very least it would be Rask + pick.

Murphy+ for Yandle is about right though.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
If Murphy+ got Yandle and the plus wasn't Rask or our 1st, I would do it. Don't think Phoenix would though unfortunately.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Maybe it's just with how poorly Sangs played yesterday and the fact that I was all over Petrecki in the 07 draft, but that makes me ever so slightly miffed.

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
Maybe it's just with how poorly Sangs played yesterday and the fact that I was all over Petrecki in the 07 draft, but that makes me ever so slightly miffed.

Maybe JR wants to do a contract-for-contract swap.

(I dunno, I'm just making conversation, though it does sound like something JR would do)

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
If Petrecki cleared I can't imagine Sagnuinetti wouldn't clear. He sucks so much at pretty much everything.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Talking about guys like Streit and Yandle is only fans on this board getting their hopes up. My guess is it will be something more along the lines of another bottom pairing guy (Weber, Komisarek, Murray, etc..) that JR thinks can turn it around in Carolina but he can get cheaply.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Talking about guys like Streit and Yandle is only fans on this board getting their hopes up. My guess is it will be something more along the lines of another bottom pairing guy (Weber, Komisarek, Murray, etc..) that JR thinks can turn it around in Carolina but he can get cheaply.

Indeed, it's nice to dream though! I doubt we go after Komisarek, just because of his contract, we probably financially can't swallow a $4 mil hit for a bottom pairing guy. You never know though.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Murray's probably the most realistic option, mostly due to the trade history that we've had with the San Jose organization. Would suck to see though, people complain about Gleason's skating already as is, Murray in no shape or way is enough of a skater to be top 4.

Beardy*

Murray's probably the most realistic option, mostly due to the trade history that we've had with the San Jose organization. Would suck to see though, people complain about Gleason's skating already as is, Murray in no shape or way is enough of a skater to be top 4.

Thats the thing.. I don't think we really even need a Top 4... Just someone competent enough to plug into the bottom line without screwing the team over, which we don't have every single time that Sanguinetti takes the ice.

Lines made up like the following would actually be fairly decent for this team going forward, and something we can build around.

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Faulk
Harrison - Murray
With Corvo being the healthy scratch.

Thats not bad at all, really. Just adds someone who can COMPETENTLY play the bottom pairing so we can solidify lines and get something going. The way we have it now, we have to keep Sangs' line off the ice as much as possible, which overworks everyone else, and is all but assured a goal against at least once a game while he is on the ice. If we can eliminate that just by bringing in a competent bottom pairing guy, we need to make that deal.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
Thats the thing.. I don't think we really even need a Top 4... Just someone competent enough to plug into the bottom line without screwing the team over, which we don't have every single time that Sanguinetti takes the ice.

Lines made up like the following would actually be fairly decent for this team going forward, and something we can build around.

Pitkanen - McBain
Gleason - Faulk
Harrison - Murray
With Corvo being the healthy scratch.

Thats not bad at all, really. Just adds someone who can COMPETENTLY play the bottom pairing so we can solidify lines and get something going. The way we have it now, we have to keep Sangs' line off the ice as much as possible, which overworks everyone else, and is all but assured a goal against at least once a game while he is on the ice. If we can eliminate that just by bringing in a competent bottom pairing guy, we need to make that deal.

Harrison and Murray would likely be the slowest pairing in history.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If you're looking for a big defensive D, do you guys have any interest in Ryan O'Byrne? For the most part, he's been very good for the Avs. Keeps things simple, and uses his size effectively. He can form a shutdown duo with someone, or be paired with a more offensive guy like he was with Liles after he was first brought in. I don't necessarily want him gone because of how effective he is, but the reality is the Avs have so many D like him, it's unlikely they retain him after this year. They really need some offense from the blueline.

Is there any interest in something around O'Byrne for McBain?

La Huracanista

Nov 28, 2009
Raleigh
If you're looking for a big defensive D, do you guys have any interest in Ryan O'Byrne? For the most part, he's been very good for the Avs. Keeps things simple, and uses his size effectively. He can form a shutdown duo with someone, or be paired with a more offensive guy like he was with Liles after he was first brought in. I don't necessarily want him gone because of how effective he is, but the reality is the Avs have so many D like him, it's unlikely they retain him after this year. They really need some offense from the blueline.

This is actually pretty interesting. I looked into O'Byrne's advanced stats, and in 2010-2011 he was actually about as good a shutdown defenseman as Tim Gleason or Bryan Allen. Last season and this season so far his Corsi numbers have been really bad though (he sort of ended up going out for every defensive zone draw for the Avs, which is terrible for your possession numbers)

Pitkanen-Faulk
Gleason-O'Byrne
Harrison-Corvo/Sangs

I dunno how much better that looks, but there's a chance it replaces Bryan Allen. We should have signed that guy, btw.

Overall I think I'd rather we just add confirmed top 4 talent, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Shane O'Brien? imo very competent 3rd pairing guy and he seems like the "JR Type" to me at least anyway. That said, I'd love if we could snag Murray. Not the fleetest of foot, but he hits like a tank and is defensivley responsible.

Beardy*

Anything right now that causes us to still have to start Corvo or Sanguinetti every night is not an upgrade over what we already have. For as much hate as McBain gets on here, he has been on the ice for the fewest goals scored against us this year, and has the lowest average goals scored against per game for any of our regular d-men. Not sure getting rid of him is going to solve any of our defensive problems, and may in fact, compound them.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Obyrne for mcbain is a loss for us. Obrien might actualiy be a positive, and wouldn't cost mcbain. Issue is with Pitts, Harry and Gleason all locked up lefties I'm afraid the toughness might actually have to be added to the right. In that way obyrne makes sense but not nearly at the cost of mcbain.

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I have no problem with McBain, as long as he is played in roles that allow him to succeed. The only thing I want is Sangs out of the lineup. If Corvo is in and McBain is in and Sangs is out, I'd be ok with that right now. At least until a defensive D is located.

Obviously, Yandle would be great, but I know thats a dream. I think I'd be ok with Murray, like the physicality. Dont know much about O'Byrne, but if hes big and physical and faster than Allen, it would be a good thought in my mind.

But please, Yandle.....please

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think we like our left hand side, so unless Pitts goes in the deal I really think the guy we add might be a righty. I honestly see mcbain not working here long term since he has trouble staying in the lineup. I see Murphy in here next year,so my guess is if we add someone who isn't a rental it's a righty who takes the mcbain/corvo spot. In that scenario maybe Komi makes some sense, but like mentioned there's a money issue there. Maybe TO buys him out in off season, does he have much time left?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad