Its time for JR to fix this D... If he knows how...

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Short of getting a Marc Staal player (Honestly I'd trade Pitkanen, all of our 2013 picks and a prospect for M.Staal at this point) there's no quick fix out there. Our defensive prospects are looking to take at least two years to even have a chance to make the big club and even they are questionable.

• Danny Biega (6'0" 200lbs) plays the two way game but is only 6'0" and took a step back offensively this year
  • Austin Levi (6'4" 205lbs) is in his overage season in Plymouth which makes me think he's a long term prospect (although I think the Checkers were overflowing with D-men at the beginning of the season so that may have contributed)
  • Keegan Lowe (6'1" 200lbs) is interesting but he's only 19 (20 in March so hopefully he'll hit the AHL next year, seems like he's ready); however, his pedigree and game should make it to the NHL eventually
  • Slavin and Carrick are a ways away

Since we can't get immediate help we should look to a defensive prospect from another team that is a fringe player this year but has the potential to blossom in the next 12 to 18 months.

Ian Cole may be an option. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
We have Levi, Lowe and Murphy coming up to the AHL next year.

We should get Risanen, Kvisto, Jordan and Krueger a look see.

How have those 4 players looked in the AHL? I'm guessing max upside for any of them is a bottom pairing defenseman, but since we lack even that...

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Not sure if the Blues are ready to give up on Cole just yet. Not that I'd mind, but I'd expect them to give him more opportunities to develop in the AHL first before putting him on the market.

Jordan's probably our best bet from within short term, even if he isn't a crease clearer. He's alright (not outstanding but competent) offensively and he's been a solid two-way dman for the Checkers for a few years now. Krueger has no offense, but if we're just looking for a stay at home guy he could be our option.

Rissanen and Kivisto are a way off if they even make it. In fact Kivisto has been mostly ECHL this year.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Honestly I'd trade Pitkanen, all of our 2013 picks and a prospect for M.Staal at this point

Thoughts?

lMUy3OR.gif

poobags

8) 8) 8( 8)
Jan 27, 2013
Washington
Jordan's probably our best bet from within short term, even if he isn't a crease clearer. He's alright (not outstanding but competent) offensively and he's been a solid two-way dman for the Checkers for a few years now.

I've always liked Jordan and you describe him perfectly. Does he have the speed and positioning to play in the NHL? What about Bellemore?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Jordan, yeah I think he does, at least as a #6 guy for now. He was a strong skater when I saw him live at the WJCs a few years back, but that's another level of competition. But baring any kind of decline in ability there he'd at least be competent in that regard in the NHL level.

Bellemore, no I can't say he does. He's been around the Checkers forever seemingly, and is a good defensive dman for that level, but his skating leaves a lot to be desired. Now there are some players that hasn't stopped like Hal Gill, but Bellemore's no Hal Gill.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Nope, cause Murray still wouldn't be much of an upgrade over some of the guys we have.

They cut Boychuk and got nothing back, so the question is essentially would you trade McBain for Murray. One 5/6 guy for another, the only difference being Murray actually hits people, clears the crease and blocks shots. That's the only reason I mentioned it. FWIW, when you originally posted that I would have agreed. Funny how so much can change in 10 days.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Short of getting a Marc Staal player (Honestly I'd trade Pitkanen, all of our 2013 picks and a prospect for M.Staal at this point) there's no quick fix out there. Our defensive prospects are looking to take at least two years to even have a chance to make the big club and even they are questionable.

I wouldn't trade Pitkanen for a lot of the so-called #1 d-men in the league right now, much less throw in a bunch of other stuff. Besides, all that's doing is filling one hole and creating another.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I wouldn't trade Pitkanen for a lot of the so-called #1 d-men in the league right now, much less throw in a bunch of other stuff. Besides, all that's doing is filling one hole and creating another.

Actually you could say it's creating a hole and then filling it, at the cost of picks and prospects.

Sending Pitkanen in exchange for Staal would be pointless.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
At this point, I say claim Nick Petrecki from San Jose and send down Sangs to get his game back together in Charlotte. Petrecki may not be much, but he's at least a different type of player than McBain or Corvo.

If that doesn't work, which it probably wouldn't, then make a deal to find a D to fill out the top 4 and pair Harrison-McBain or Harrison-Corvo.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
I'm done with Sanguinetti... Bench him, send him back to Charlotte, do something, but I never want to see him in a Canes uniform ever again.

He's terrible and a damn liability in every aspect of his game. Get him out of Raleigh... The experiment is over... Get did of him.

x10 on that. Definite liability. It must be tough to run a small market org.. The pieces are coming together and in a little time, this team looks really good to me. Money is an big issue and good D are hard to find. For now, they have to keep the puck in the O zone as much as possible and the offensive have to come back to help out. Muller should be telling the D to just get the puck the heck to the neutral zone. Remember this, apart from Letang, the Pens have a pretty poor defence too.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Coming out of left field with this one, but what about Jay Bouwmeester? The contract is gross, but the guy is a gigantic minute muncher and while not displaying the offensive numbers of his Panther days, he's been fairly respectable on defense. Considering he plays upwards of 30 mins every nite.

Something centered around JayBow and McBain (I love him but he's not seeing any ice time) Maybe we could throw in a pick and get Anton back too cause he never plays here.

Gleason//Bouwmeester
Pitkänen//Faulk
Harrison//Babchuk

Corvo

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
Coming out of left field with this one, but what about Jay Bouwmeester? The contract is gross, but the guy is a gigantic minute muncher and while not displaying the offensive numbers of his Panther days, he's been fairly respectable on defense. Considering he plays upwards of 30 mins every nite.

Something centered around JayBow and McBain (I love him but he's not seeing any ice time) Maybe we could throw in a pick and get Anton back too cause he never plays here.

Gleason//Bouwmeester
Pitkänen//Faulk
Harrison//Babchuk

Corvo

Anyone who takes that contract off of Feaster's hands is an idiot.... And last I checked Gauthier was no longer a GM in this league so JayBo isn't going anywhere I bet.

And considering we have thinned our defensive depth, I would definitely take a flyer on Petrecki. Big dude with potential.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
I wish the Bruins had some interest in trading McQuaid. He's the perfect 4/5 tough as nails RH defenseman. Play him with Gleason on the PK and the forwards will be afraid to sneeze on Ward.

It doesn't totally solve the D issues, but it gives a better balance at least.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
If I had to rank D on Checkers:

Jordan
Krueger
Gragnani
Rissanen
Bellemore
Raymond

I would think maybe down to Rissanen would work as a 6/7 guy for the Canes.
Haven't seen enough of Raymond yet to really make an educated prospect on him.

Bellemore comes off as a weaker version of Gleason to me.
Jordan and Krueger are our top D guys, I would like to see Jordan get a shot this season. From the times I have meet him, his goal is to be a Hurricane.

Caniac4ever

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure how much interest Corvo would even get, but his NMC kinda limits JR to his options with him.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I like how confused I got when I read that Phoenix was thinking of trading Yandle because I already knew it, but was wondering how that fact was relevant. I started laughing when I realized that he was saying we might target him. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad