Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season. Stuff might happen. Or it might not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Would you consider re-upping Ray? His stuff is dynamite.....both when he is on, and when he isn't - but for vastly different reasons.

Yeah, if he would re-sign for cheap, he could be a good #5/stretch bullpen guy. And hey, maybe he puts it together for a season like he did a few years ago and you end up with ace-like numbers from him for a year.

Reactions: kb and aingefan

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Ups and downs in this 60 game season but we have a playoff spot...i'll take that.
If you can remember the NHL had a similar playoff format in the early 70's the top eight of each conference made the playoffs with the winner of reach division getting a bye to the second round. The 1st round was also a best of 3 and the 2nd was a best of 5 with the finals best of 7. Also the season was only 70 games.

Reactions: The Cobra

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Rotation next year I think you bring back 2 out of Walker,Ray and Shoemaker. I would sign Walker and Ray and let Shoe go myself. Anderson and Roark get fired into the sun, just get rid of them. So you are bringing back Ryu,Pearson,Walker,Ray,Stripling and Thornton back. Sign someone like Bauer in free agency and the rotation could be Ryu-Bauer-Pearson-Walker-Ray/Stripling/Thornton. Along with all the kids coming in behind that is a pretty positive outlook.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Rotation next year I think you bring back 2 out of Walker,Ray and Shoemaker. I would sign Walker and Ray and let Shoe go myself. Anderson and Roark get fired into the sun, just get rid of them. So you are bringing back Ryu,Pearson,Walker,Ray,Stripling and Thornton back. Sign someone like Bauer in free agency and the rotation could be Ryu-Bauer-Pearson-Walker-Ray/Stripling/Thornton. Along with all the kids coming in behind that is a pretty positive outlook.
Sign Bauer and we're set 1-3.

Ryu
Bauer
Ray
Walker
Stripling/Pearson

If he costs too much, maybe go after Tanaka.

Ryu
Tanaka
Ray
Walker
Stripling/Pearson

*Hatch
*Kay

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Is the 16 teams in the playoffs just for this season or is it new going forward?

Unfortunately they're talking about this being the new going forward. Hasn't happened yet though.

Imagine playing 162 games and a team with an under .500 record faces the Dodgers and manages to pull out 2/3 games? Gross.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sign Bauer and we're set 1-3.

Ryu
Bauer
Ray
Walker
Stripling/Pearson

If he costs too much, maybe go after Tanaka.

Ryu
Tanaka
Ray
Walker
Stripling/Pearson

*Hatch
*Kay

I was looking at Tanaka. Has a solid track record like Ryu and is only 31 (seems like he should be 35-36). If you cant get Bauer then Tanaka on a 3-4 year deal wouldnt be awful.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Might be a rough game for us tonight with many of the players probably suffering from a hangover.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I was looking at Tanaka. Has a solid track record like Ryu and is only 31 (seems like he should be 35-36). If you cant get Bauer then Tanaka on a 3-4 year deal wouldnt be awful.
He just keeps on trucking on. I remember when Jays fans really wanted to post Tanaka it would be a nice addition. He's not velocity dependent and is just steady.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Unfortunately they're talking about this being the new going forward. Hasn't happened yet though.

Imagine playing 162 games and a team with an under .500 record faces the Dodgers and manages to pull out 2/3 games? Gross.

Why unfortunately? It's long overdue and is good for the game.

They can always extend the opening round series to a best of 5 when the schedules revert to normal, and that will benefit the top seeded clubs.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/MLB-leaders.shtml

Ryu is 3rd in bWAR in the Majors.

upload_2020-9-25_12-40-24.png

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
This baseball season is going to answer a really interesting question about the development of prospects across the baseball world. How much does natural maturity and off field training advance prospects outside of actual game play. I'm especially interested in terms of pitching prospects. If it's found that young pitchers have advanced without game situations in minor league games then the argument has to become about severely limiting valuable pitching prospects' game usage in the future. There could be a revolution in the player development system coming where the 5-7 tier minor league system is abandoned for less teams and smaller reserve lists.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008

While I get your sentiment, I think it's time. MLB is going down the NBA path where you are starting to see more teams trying to lose than teams trying to win a championship since it's very difficult to make it and most teams know going into the season who is likely to get there and the ones on the outside jockey for draft position.

Adding in the extra teams will help encourage a "middle class" level of teams where finishing near .500 and making playoff pushes in an attempt to remain competitive enough for fan interest. It will also help curb the teams at the top since there will be less 90+ loss teams gifting the top teams free wins.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

No team would be in the top 8 with a below .500 record, this is the same format that the NHL uses in a normal season.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why unfortunately? It's long overdue and is good for the game.

They can always extend the opening round series to a best of 5 when the schedules revert to normal, and that will benefit the top seeded clubs.
While I get your sentiment, I think it's time. MLB is going down the NBA path where you are starting to see more teams trying to lose than teams trying to win a championship since it's very difficult to make it and most teams know going into the season who is likely to get there and the ones on the outside jockey for draft position.

Adding in the extra teams will help encourage a "middle class" level of teams where finishing near .500 and making playoff pushes in an attempt to remain competitive enough for fan interest. It will also help curb the teams at the top since there will be less 90+ loss teams gifting the top teams free wins.

I get both of these points, but allowing a team like the Dodgers this year to face a .500 or worse team in a shortened series is sheer nonsense. Baseball is way way way too random of a game for a team like that to not be rewarded for being dominant for 162 games.

I had an idea earlier this season where it was 6 teams in each league, which still expands the playoffs 2 full teams, instead of 4:

1, 2, and 3 seeds are all division leaders. 4,5, and 6 can be from any division and are ranked solely by record.

1&2 get byes past the quarters.

3 v 6 (5 game series)
4 v 5 (5 game series)

1 faces lowest seed left (7 game series). 2 faces highest seed left (7 game)

Winners of the two face in the CS.

Winner goes to the WS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad