Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season-iest time of the year. (Waiting on the winter meetings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Sure hope if jays decide between Pompey and Piller it's Pomp. I don't like Pillar or attitude. :) plus don't think he's that good.

People still care about that one incident? Let it go. He came back late in the season and everyone buried the hatchet.

Jaysfanatic*

Pompey/Pillar CF/LF

Travis/Goins 2B

Factor in Lawrie playing 75 games tops and........Jays miss playoffs 22 straight seasons.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I laugh because instead of trying to sign a 2B, they're going to try and force this kid to play 2B and it will lead to hilarious results.

Is it really forcing if he has played it throughout his professional career? From everything I have read he sounds like Howie Kendrick without the elite defence, though it still grades out as average.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
23 year old playing AA, whooptie doo.

Hey Johnnie positive. The jays also still have Izturis who was playing real well last year before a season ending injury. It's the 2nd move of the off season and really this could be a good one for the jays long term. Gose was projecting as a 4th outfielder so this could end up being a really good trade. No it may not help us for next year but this trade doesn't cap off the off season.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Who says we are forcing the kid to play 2B next season?

It's expected that Izturis will be our 2B next season unless we can acquire a 3B and move Lawrie over.

From what I have read, this deal has the potential to be a downright steal.

Jaysfanatic*

Is it really forcing if he has played it throughout his professional career? From everything I have read he sounds like Howie Kendrick without the elite defence, though it still grades out as average.

He started as a 2B, I mean forcing him to play big league level 2B when he should start in AA again instead.

Hey Johnnie positive. The jays also still have Izturis who was playing real well last year before a season ending injury. It's the 2nd move of the off season and really this could be a good one for the jays long term. Gose was projecting as a 4th outfielder so this could end up being a really good trade. No it may not help us for next year but this trade doesn't cap off the off season.

Ah yes, Maicer Izturis who played well in the entire six games he played all season. Really inspires confidence that the Jays will be OK.

Who says we are forcing the kid to play 2B next season?

It's expected that Izturis will be our 2B next season unless we can acquire a 3B and move Lawrie over.

From what I have read, this deal has the potential to be a downright steal.

Great, so Izturis at 2B and maybe some day the Jays may have a second baseman. By then AA will be fired and it'll start a new cycle of sucking.

I want the Jays to do well, I'm just tired of the BS, this off-season is supposed to be a good one, I feel it won't even be a passable one.

He was drafted out of university two years ago. Played short season low A once signed, played full season last year and finished AA this past year. He's progressing just as well as one should expect.

And will be your platoon 2B next season with Maicer.

weems

Jul 3, 2008

I dont think he has Kendricks bat (Kendrick OPS'ed almost 100 points higher in his minors career)...Those expectations are a little high.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
He started as a 2B, I mean forcing him to play big league level 2B when he should start in AA again instead.

Ah yes, Maicer Izturis who played well in the entire six games he played all season. Really inspires confidence that the Jays will be OK.

Great, so Izturis at 2B and maybe some day the Jays may have a second baseman. By then AA will be fired and it'll start a new cycle of sucking.

I want the Jays to do well, I'm just tired of the BS, this off-season is supposed to be a good one, I feel it won't even be a passable one.

This off-season has barely started :laugh:

Izturis was playing well before he got injured.

The Jays have had discussions about bringing in an infielder to fill the 2B/3B slots with Lawrie.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I dont think he has Kendricks bat (Kendrick OPS'ed almost 100 points higher in his minors career)...Those expectations are a little high.

As in he is a high volume hitter. Doesn't walk a ton but he gets on base at an average/above average clip due to his ability to make contact.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Why should he go back to AA when he just performed very well over 400 ABs there? Among 2Bs he was second in OPS to Sean Coyle (who is basically a 3B with a 2B arm) in the Eastern League.

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
He only played 3 games in CF last year, the rest at 2nd base. They asked him to move to centre because Kinsler is not moving for a long time with that contract. If that clears anything up.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
For all the "Travis is a 23 yr old AA player whoopee" crowd… just a reminder:

This was Gose slash line at AAA this season: .244/.305/.351

At the very least these guys have an equal chance to become major league players, we've been so conditioned by this regime to believe in "tools" and get wow'd by single attributes like speed its like we've forgotten to look at the results

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Just a quick comparison:

Devon Travis @ 23 in AA (drafted as a Sr)
.298/.358/.817

Player B @ 24 in A (drafted as a Sr)
.304/.415/.828

Player B is Ben Zobrist

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Just a quick comparison:

Devon Travis @ 23 in AA (drafted as a Sr)
.298/.358/.817

Player B @ 24 in A (drafted as a Sr)
.304/.415/.828

Player B is Ben Zobrist

I was gonna say that their slugging percentages look a lil Stanton like. :laugh:

Let's just all be glad that Travis may actually eliminate Goins from the equation.

Jaysfanatic*

This off-season has barely started :laugh:

Izturis was playing well before he got injured.

The Jays have had discussions about bringing in an infielder to fill the 2B/3B slots with Lawrie.

And it will finish the same way it started, with a waiver claim. With nothing good enough done in between. Hope I'm wrong, but Huckster Antho isn't going to win me over just yet.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
And it will finish the same way it started, with a waiver claim. With nothing good enough done in between. Hope I'm wrong, but Huckster Antho isn't going to win me over just yet.

Oh, really?

Can you tell me how we finish next year too? Who wins the World Series? Maybe we can make some money off of this.

Judging an off-season before it's complete, well heck, when it's only two/three moves in, is asinine.

Jaysfanatic*

Oh, really?

Can you tell me how we finish next year too? Who wins the World Series? Maybe we can make some money off of this.

Judging an off-season before it's complete, well heck, when it's only two/three moves in, is asinine.

I can. 82-80.

St. Louis

Bookmark this post.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Solid. Gonna place my bets now.

Don't do it Cor!

star_wars_its_a_trap.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad