Blue Jays Discussion: It's the off-season-iest time of the year. (Waiting on the winter meetings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Crazy to think, in the past 5 years each of the Giants World series wins have come with a difference ace.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Okay so in the past year - i've now watched a Super Bowl, a NBA Championship, and a MLB World Series presentation.

Hockey >>> all of them.

the giants pitcher, the Madison Bumgarner? person - he's all like, yah, we won the world series, and to hear him talk it was like he won game 10 of the season or something. and the presentation. mehh. lol.

and i am bummed - I really wanted the Cinderella story. (it was shaping it up to be that too with that triple...). boo.

DatsyukianDeke*

Okay so in the past year - i've now watched a Super Bowl, a NBA Championship, and a MLB World Series presentation.

Hockey >>> all of them.

the giants pitcher, the Madison Bumgarner? person - he's all like, yah, we won the world series, and to hear him talk it was like he won game 10 of the season or something. and the presentation. mehh. lol.

and i am bummed - I really wanted the Cinderella story. (it was shaping it up to be that too with that triple...). boo.

Pretty sure he has 3 rings in 5 years.

Ace88*

Not only does he have three rings in 5 years he has the most innings pitched and lowest ERA of any pitcher in baseball playoffs history. ONE RUN in 21 innings. Madison Bumgarner is Redneck Baseball Jesus. Don't get me wrong i love hockey more than any other sport but we witnessed honest to god history last night...and the guy is only 25 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Wow.

I wasn't taking anything away from what he did. (and since I don't really follow baseball, forgive me for not realising I was watching history etc). Sorry if i made it sound like I was.

I just personally meant, emotionally - no matter if it was 3 in 5 or whatever, winning the cup looks to be more emotional and the focus is on the players, and almost all the players are all verklempt. I didn't get that feeling. (and I've watched a couple of world series, including the Blue Jays ones) of any other championships, that's all.

i was just laughing how breezy the pitcher was, like yah, we won, what's next.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Imagine if they sent Gordon home on that play, though. Man, oh man. I mean, I know that a good throw by Crawford has probably him beat by plenty, but you can't guarantee that in a high pressure, rush situation like that. Hell, even with Crawford having a good throw, Posey still has to have a clean pick up. He could've bobbled it or had the ball elude him. Not to mention if he got it, he could've been blocking the plate and Gordon be awarded the run anyway. Say, remember when I said that stupid ass Pejorative Slured abortion of a rule could decide the World Series? We were one huge gamble away from that, potentially :laugh:

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Imagine if they sent Gordon home on that play, though. Man, oh man. I mean, I know that a good throw by Crawford has probably him beat by plenty, but you can't guarantee that in a high pressure, rush situation like that. Hell, even with Crawford having a good throw, Posey still has to have a clean pick up. He could've bobbled it or had the ball elude him. Not to mention if he got it, he could've been blocking the plate and Gordon be awarded the run anyway. Say, remember when I said that stupid ass Pejorative Slured abortion of a rule could decide the World Series? We were one huge gamble away from that, potentially :laugh:

I believe Crawford also fielded the cutoff throw from a hop which might of caused him to misplay the ball transferring from the glove to the throwing hand.

Ace88*

That's part of the stuffy old culture of baseball though. But im pretty sure the Giants were definitely showing emotion, lol. Bumgarner is just a super ultra chill, laid back person. I don't think i remember the last time i saw an outburst of emotion from him (and the old guard in baseball would have it no other way). Baseball's also more of a mind game than hockey, and a lot of the reaction is based on that

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I believe Crawford also fielded the cutoff throw from a hop which might of caused him to misplay the ball transferring from the glove to the throwing hand.

I could just imagine Posey getting called for blocking the plate and Gordon being awrded the tying run. It would've been amazing cosmic justice too. The man whose injury really facilitated the implementation of the rule being called for violating that same rule to cost his team the World Series clinching out? Man... that would've been the greatest irony ever.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

If Gordon was a bit faster I would have taken the risk .. Bumgarner was lights out last night, gotta take the chance to tie it there if you can

I was hoping they had the opportunity to send him

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

They should have sent him. It was either try and score there or try and get a hit off Bumgarner to tie the game.

I would have taken my chances with trying to beat the throw.

Of course, that's easy to say in hindsight with time to think about it. On the field it all happened in a matter of seconds.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Hindsight is always 20/20. No way the 3B coach sends him in that situation knowing he can very realistically get thrown out. Would of been more heartbreaking to lose that way and always wonder "what if" if they didn't send him.

Ace88*

any above average runner would have probably gotten the inside park HR. Gordon is just tragically slow lol.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards

TheThrill81*

TOGuy14;91723103 Smoak will be 28 before he ever sees a pitch in a Jays uniform. I hardly expect a renaissance from a guy his age with a career .224 BA.[/QUOTE said:
Before 2009, Bautista had a career .239 BA at 29 years old.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Is Liam Hendriks really worth trading for? He is out of options anyways and he is likely to be claimed if he gets cut.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Is this a minor league trade? Or does he have to pass through waivers regardless?

He's AAA filler.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Going back a couple days here but:

I don't mind the Smoak pickup as a free potentially decent bench player but puff pieces like this by Davidi make me mad

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/a-hit-friendly-al-east-could-unlock-smoaks-talent/

Smoak will be 28 before he ever sees a pitch in a Jays uniform. I hardly expect a renaissance from a guy his age with a career .224 BA.

Toronto has had success with guys with known skills but haven't put it together yet.

See: Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad