GDT: It's the Late, Late Show with your host, the New Jersey Devils! Ft. Ducks, 10 PM

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anaheim is playing some ridiculous hockey lately. If they can overcome the Boudreau playoff curse they could be in for a deep run. It's almost a shame one of Anaheim/LA/San Jose will be out in the first round.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I KNEW and said this **** would happen after the deadline. That we'd probably have 8 defensemen up, if Schlemko wasn't traded, and that Severson probably wouldn't play most of the games. I'm no prophet, tt wasn't hard to see coming. It was obvious.

Only I figured it would be Gelinas that was still here instead, and I never even realized Warsofsky was an actual thing.

That was before Helgeson was even sent back to Albany initially, before recently returning back last week.

And wasn't it an emergency recall for him too? How does that work? Maybe Merrill is actually injured.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Every coach has them. It's just that they're easier to deal with when the team is winning. When they're not, you look at those quirks and go "What the hell is he thinking?".

Oh I agree completely.

But he did give off the impression of building competition throughout the lineup and at different times he has sat most, if not all, of the guys people routinely complain about here. Except for Moore.

For a coach who pays attention to analytics, it's flat-out weird.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Oh I agree completely.

But he did give off the impression of building competition throughout the lineup and at different times he has sat most, if not all, of the guys people routinely complain about here. Except for Moore.

For a coach who pays attention to analytics, it's flat-out weird.

Add Tootoo to that list. Another guy who hasn't sat as a healthy scratch (except for once in the first half of a back to back in December) who is also terrible at analytics.

Come to think of it, I believe Tootoo's lone healthy scratch of the season was the first Ducks game.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
Here's a fun fact:

Helgeson's contract is 1-way next season. We're looking at Matteau 2.0 here.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Terrible game. Glad i didn't watch.

Here's a fun fact:

One-way has nothing to do with waiver exemption, so I don't see your point.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
+1, these one-way/two-way contracts are about what you're paid in the AHL vs NHL, that's all

The EA NHL games used them for years (maybe they still do?) to determine waivers, which is completely wrong. It has convinced a whole generation of people who don't know any better though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Here's a fun fact:

Who's going to pick up a guy like Helgeson on waivers, Lou maybe? The reason we were stuck with Matteau is he was a 21-year old former first rounder. Helgeson will be 26 going into next season and was a fourth rounder with basically Mark Fraser-7th D type upside.

If he did stick on the roster as a #7D it wouldn't even be the worst thing in the world.

vtdevils2k

"Lets Go Baby!"
Dec 16, 2013
Virginia
wow 7-1? good lord...just saw some of the highlights..Kinky way out of position. Some of the goals...woof. Bad positioning, bad rebounds, can't let in some of those

Burn the tape and move on..

Smith Pelly another goal tho, good for him

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Didn't watch any of the game, and I don't think I'll look at any highlights beyond the DSP goal.

I'm proud of what this team was able to do, but I just can't bring myself to watch the wheels fly off like this.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
If we retain Helgeson he needs specialized training in the offseason
The 0:49 mark is particularly key to his development

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Can't really support this coaching staff until they keep Severson in the lineup and give him solid minutes. There is no excuse, outside of injury.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
They only allowed 1 touchdown

:laugh::laugh:

That was really a ugly pathetic loss. After rewatching, kinkaid coughing g up awful rebounds left and right, Moore horrible again responsible for 2 ga, Larson got manhandled in front a few times and just a flat out terrible 2nd period. What I learned or really reinforced again from this game was we desperately need size especially in the forward group. We just got manhandled after the first. Once again the mighty mites just don't cut it at this level. And the D needs to man up and take the body, this pathetic stick fishing has been going on all year and it needs to stop. It's no coincidence when we play more physical in the back we usually qin

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
This sums up last night pretty well.

secretariat-crashes-o.gif

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Every prospect we should be drafting needs to be over 6-1 minimum and athletic. I don't care if they aren't scoring 100 points in juniors, as long as the are big, athletic and fast, they have a chance to be an nhler and help this team

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Except size bias is how you wind up drafting guys like Connor Chatham. They need BOTH skill players and power forwards.

oxman44

Dec 1, 2015
Hunterdon
Except size bias is how you wind up drafting guys like Connor Chatham. They need BOTH skill players and power forwards.

Yes, I see what your saying. Ideally you want guys that are more skilled than chatam of course. I also realize that every team in the NHL wants big, fast, highly skilled players and there arent that many of them out there. Thats why I said "athletic" as a prerequisite and I think means alot. A really athletic guy, who may not have shown a ton of skill yet, has a chance to grow his skills as he gets older as compared to a big guy who can skate fast but has the coordination of Stonehands McGirk.

Look, we have a few skilled guys in Palms, cammy, blandisi and boucher. but none of those guys are big. Obviously if theres a tremendously skilled guy just sitting there, Im all for taking him. but I feel we need to supplement with some bigger,athletic speedy forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad