Post-Game Talk: It's the End of the World as we know it, and we feel fine (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Insult all you want but at what point does it land on the players and not the coaching? When was the last time that Crosby really showed up and dominated a series? Washington 09?

I'll happily eat crow if Trotz or someone comes in and we win 3 straight, but it does make you wonder

Well it has yet to land on the coaching, although hopefully it will soon. I'm not saying Crosby doesn't need to be better, most of us aren't. But when you see the same mistakes throughout the line-up and not just with our stars, then hopefully you can wrap your head around the coaching being a problem.

Crosberry87

Oct 9, 2008
USA
@achiappazzi: If #Pens make any changes to coaching staff/front office, I do not expect internal candidates to be an option. It'll be a full cleansing.

No idea who that guy is but Ian from HF retweeted him.

He writes for the Beaver county times

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
True the the equation so far has been one with the other. I'm just commenting on how 1 half has received seemingly 100% of the blame while the other goes free. Don't get me wrong, I love Crosby. I'm just speculating

1) Crosby hasn't gone criticism free. People have suggested he be traded and/or stripped of the C. That certainly seems to be criticism. People in the media have criticized him.

2) Crosby and Malkin are world-class talents. Dan Bylsma is a person. He's one of a hundred people who could pass as an NHL coach on any given night. I say this both sincerely and as an insult. Jack Capuano has a job. Dan Bylsma is not a unique snowflake.

That said, you get rid of the non-world class talent first, and then, and only then, if the world class talent continues to have issues (and yea, leading the league by 17 pts sure seems issue-laden) do you do something about it.

In my opinion, anyhow.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
Yeah I have no idea what's wrong with these people. You don't just give up on a gem like Bylsma. You build a team around him. Trade Malkin and Crosby for guys who know what game Bylsma was always referring to.

That's really not what I'm saying at all. I'm not saying Bylsma is amazing and the players let him down. I'm just saying that maybe the continual failure in the post season is more on the team as a whole (including the superstars) and not just the coaching.

That said, I'm all for Bylsma being fired. I think it's long overdue in fact.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It is interesting, I'd guess a lot of them were dissatisfied. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Niskanen, Martin, Letang, the young guys probably don't care for him even if they're quiet, Scuderi probably hates him. I could see Adams turning on Bylsma as the ultimate betrayal.

Who didn't have a problem would be more telling. Orpik, Glass...

It would be a good number.

But the ones with the biggest beef would be Sid first, Malkin second. The two greatest players of their generation watched a good chunk of the prime of their careers wasted.

And you KNOW that both would do anything to win, play any system, play any way. Neither is a prima donna. They only ask to be put in a position to win.

Yeah, I am guessing that those two were steaming.

And those ***** on the main board who keep gloating about Mario coming down to talk to Sid and claiming that they know it was to lecture him for (fill in the blank of the HF Crosby bashing), well I would bet dimes to dollars it was the opposite. To reassure Sid that if things went all the way south significant meaningful change was coming. That the organization he gave up literally tens upon many tens of millions to remain part of has his back.

ArcticFox

Nov 2, 2010
Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib · 3 tim
Just saw Brooks Orpik. Limping badly. Brace on his knee. I've heard the injury is a serious one. Likely the end of his Pens career.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
It is interesting, I'd guess a lot of them were dissatisfied. Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Niskanen, Martin, Letang, the young guys probably don't care for him even if they're quiet, Scuderi probably hates him. I could see Adams turning on Bylsma as the ultimate betrayal.

1399781711424.jpg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
True the the equation so far has been one with the other. I'm just commenting on how 1 half has received seemingly 100% of the blame while the other goes free. Don't get me wrong, I love Crosby. I'm just speculating

Probably because the alternative -- people wanting Crosby and Malkin dealt and Bylsma kept -- would result in an even worse disaster.

You get rid of the coach, then you see what needs fixing. You don't get rid of your star players, then realize you just dealt your franchise player and the coach ended up being the issue all along.

That's why people are on the fire Bylsma train, not the trade Crosby/Malkin train (other than a couple of folks who are on ignore now because of how silly they sound).

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
1) Crosby hasn't gone criticism free. People have suggested he be traded and/or stripped of the C. That certainly seems to be criticism. People in the media have criticized him.

2) Crosby and Malkin are world-class talents. Dan Bylsma is a person. He's one of a hundred people who could pass as an NHL coach on any given night. I say this both sincerely and as an insult. Jack Capuano has a job. Dan Bylsma is not a unique snowflake.

That said, you get rid of the non-world class talent first, and then, and only then, if the world class talent continues to have issues (and yea, leading the league by 17 pts sure seems issue-laden) do you do something about it.

In my opinion, anyhow.

Absolutely agreed. And like I said, I'd be happy to see major change (outside of Crosby/Malkin) come to this team in the offseason. I'm mostly just upset with the fanbases seeming happiness over our loss with the justification that Bylsma's firing will fix everything. I just think the team's issues are deeper than that.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
by the by:

Pens PK finished ~80% for the post season.

I'm not one to say I told you so, but actually I totally am.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think Sid quit on his coach after the Olympics. I don't think he was "tired." The guy's in world-class shape in the prime of his life. He wasn't "tired."

I thought there might have been a subconscious quitting on the coach by the team. But maybe it's been deliberate or a sign of strife behind the scenes. IDK, seeing Bylsma from the outside and playing for Babcock had to be jarring.

Crosby's energy level. Prime of life and fitnesss aside, he hasn't been through that much hockey in years and then he had the Olympics. I could see it wearing him down, it's something he hasn't done for years and that can require readjusting. Not to mention Bylsma's riding him hard for most of the season in spite of everything and giving him **** to do it with for most of it.

Maatta looks gassed, too, and he's 19 and in shape. Maatta lacked the experience of a full season and Crosby has been deprived of that for awhile.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I'm not counting on it but like I've said before: watch Orpik go to LA or Colorado or somewhere like that and end the next two seasons +19 or something.

I have no doubt this will happen. Scuderi too.

And I bet the Dmen on the Pens improve dramatically under a new coach.

All that said, I still won't be missing Scuds and Orpik, the younguns shoulda been played more.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
by the by:

Every 5 on 4 was really a 5 on 3. Adams was nothing more than a pilon hoping to get hit with a shot.

How others were benched and that bum continued to get 10 minutes + of playing time a game completely baffled me.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Absolutely agreed. And like I said, I'd be happy to see major change (outside of Crosby/Malkin) come to this team in the offseason. I'm mostly just upset with the fanbases seeming happiness over our loss with the justification that Bylsma's firing will fix everything. I just think the team's issues are deeper than that.

Firing Dan Bylsma is not a magic bullet, if that's what you're saying. Anyone thinking that is is kidding themself, imo.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

The thing is, I honestly do not think that they are.

The Pens have a ton of flexibility in building the team this off-season. One reason they have to get this right. They COULD fix things completely literally overnight with a new system that works and new personnel to fill in to run it. Will they get all this new cap space from the cap rising and from dead weight leaving the books wisely though?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
by the by:

An aggressive GM would've canned him after the Flyers loss, and there would've been plenty of concrete reasons such as special teams.

The average GM would've canned him after the Bruins loss, and there would've been plenty of concrete reasons such as special teams.

A passive GM with questionable judgment would've kept him beyond the Bruins loss, and here we are.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
I think Sid quit on his coach after the Olympics. I don't think he was "tired." The guy's in world-class shape in the prime of his life. He wasn't "tired."

For what it's worth, a non-Pens friend of mine who watched the past few games with me commented on how he hadn't noticed Crosby at all and how that was weird.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
wait, is this true? 26 times in NHL history has a team come back from a 3-1 deficit, and Bylsma's been on the receiving end of 2 of those?

3 of those:

Against the Habs in 2010

Against the Bolts in 2011

And now the Rags in 2014...

Oh, and all 3 game 7's were lost at home, meaning in all 3 cases we were bounced by lower seaded teams. It takes a conscious effort to fail that epically.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC
The thing is, I honestly do not think that they are.

The Pens have a ton of flexibility in building the team this off-season. One reason they have to get this right. They COULD fix things completely literally overnight with a new system that works and new personnel to fill in to run it. Will they get all this new cap space from the cap rising and from dead weight leaving the books wisely though?

Well, given the recent events, I sincerely hope you're right ;)

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
An aggressive GM would've canned him after the Flyers loss, and there would've been plenty of concrete reasons such as special teams.

The average GM would've canned him after the Bruins loss, and there would've been plenty of concrete reasons such as special teams.

A passive GM with questionable judgment would've kept him beyond the Bruins loss, and here we are.

Not only did said GM opt to keep him beyond the Bruins loss but also opted to RE-SIGN him to a lucrative contract as well. On this team, we reward mediocrity ;)

When all is said and done, this is the post season that basically broke the camels back for Bylsma and probably Shero as well. Since we won the cup in 09 we've experienced the following playoff disappointments:

-3 eliminations in game 7's (at home) against lower seeded teams

-2 first round exits, 2 second round exits, and 1 third round exit where we had our ***** absolutely handed to us.

All these glorious results even in spite of sporting a star-studded cast most of the way through. Any other team would've started to make drastic changes a couple of years ago. THis team however...is very special.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
3 of those:

Against the Habs in 2010

Against the Bolts in 2011

And now the Rags in 2014...

Oh, and all 3 game 7's were lost at home, meaning in all 3 cases we were bounced by lower seaded teams. It takes a conscious effort to fail that epically.

I thought 2010 was just 3-2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad