Confirmed with Link: It's Started! (Management firings)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I find it hilarious when Leafs fans try to start shit about Dubas, as if it's solely his fault that the Leafs are a bunch of losers. Matthews, Tavares and Marner are all sub-PPG players in the playoffs while making well over $10 million a year. Tavares is especially bad, with only 22 points in 31 games. Leafs fans will just scapegoat their coach, GM, goalies, depth or whatever else instead of realizing their core is made up of a bunch of playoff no-show losers.

Want to know the difference between the Penguins core and the Leafs core? If you give the Leafs core a good supporting cast, they still probably won't win a playoff round. If you give the Penguins core a good supporting cast, they probably make it to the ECF. Know how I know that? Based on the Penguins consistently going deep in the playoffs with strong teams around the core in the Crosby and Malkin era.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
:laugh:

He was probably the worst Pens coach I've ever seen. It's one thing to not win, which was unrealistic in a rebuild anyway, but there looked to be no structure or system whatsoever with him as coach. The contrast between what the team looked like under him and under Therrien was night and day. Again, not necessarily in winning/results, but it immediately jumped off the screen that they at least played with some semblance of structure with MT as coach.

Edzo was just a bizarre coaching hire, even back then, without hindsight. I think he'd be fine in some sort of communications role today, though. He's good with the media, etc. Just keep him away from the hockey stuff.
It wasn’t bizarre if you saw his paycheck compared to average coaches’ salaries for a team on the brink of financial ruin at every turn.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I'll never go to bat for Edzo as a coach (very good commentator though), but you can't deny he was set up in a position to fail and was never really a legitimate "NHL coach", if that makes sense. He was willing to step down from the broadcast team to coach the Penguins for an absurdly cheap price when they were basically broke.

I used to work with his goalie coach Shane Clifford when I was growing up and he'd tell me about all of the shit they dealt with in the 2003-2006 seasons, specifically regarding goaltending. The team rushed Fleury to the NHL and realized he was actually NHL ready, but still sent him down because they couldn't afford his bonuses. The team had a catastrophically bad defense that made the goalies look even worse.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It wasn’t bizarre if you saw his paycheck compared to average coaches’ salaries for a team on the brink of financial ruin at every turn.

"So we're prepared to offer you a lucrative pay structure consisting of P'Zones and Early Times but no actual money. I understand if you need a day to think it over but I think you'll agree that with your qualifications it's a very generous offer."

Reactions: SomeDude

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
"So we're prepared to offer you a lucrative pay structure consisting of P'Zones and Early Times but no actual money. I understand if you need a day to think it over but I think you'll agree that with your qualifications it's a very generous offer."
It was really an internship. His compensation was the experience gained that he used to go back to his old job and become a degenerate gambler. Like most internships.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Yeah I'll never go to bat for Edzo as a coach (very good commentator though), but you can't deny he was set up in a position to fail and was never really a legitimate "NHL coach", if that makes sense. He was willing to step down from the broadcast team to coach the Penguins for an absurdly cheap price when they were basically broke.

I used to work with his goalie coach Shane Clifford when I was growing up and he'd tell me about all of the shit they dealt with in the 2003-2006 seasons, specifically regarding goaltending. The team rushed Fleury to the NHL and realized he was actually NHL ready, but still sent him down because they couldn't afford his bonuses. The team had a catastrophically bad defense that made the goalies look even worse.
Edzo is a terrible commentator.

The only thing he ever says is that [player] really should get the puck to the net. That's it. That's all he's got. He just gets mad if someone passes the puck instead of shooting it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Edzo is a terrible commentator.

The only thing he ever says is that [player] really should get the puck to the net. That's it. That's all he's got. He just gets mad if someone passes the puck instead of shooting it.

He's the main color guy for Seattle and I watch basically every Kraken game. I really like him as a commentator for the Kraken.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
He's the main color guy for Seattle and I watch basically every Kraken game. I really like him as a commentator for the Kraken.
That's your prerogative I suppose. I've suffered his presence on national broadcasts for years and man is he boring. No insight.

Forslund is fantastic though.

Ray Ferraro is my favorite color guy personally.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's your prerogative I suppose. I've suffered his presence on national broadcasts for years and man is he boring. No insight.

Forslund is fantastic though.

Ray Ferraro is my favorite color guy personally.

I wasn't a fan of him when he was on the national broadcast but he's been really good as Seattle's main color guy. I would definitely not criticize him for how he is as a commentator.

As a coach? The guy was put in a position to fail but he certainly didn't do anything to help himself :laugh:

Reactions: Pancakes

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Another thing, some are complaining about the whole Shanahan/Dubas fiasco

Look no further then when Shanahan was director of player safety. Guy just rubs off the wrong way. I don't know Dubas much but I think Shanny really made a clown of himself in that position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad