Sportsnet: "It's something that can potentially happen in the future " Milan Lucic on playing for Canucks

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
His comments make it seem like he knows something is afoot.

The question I have is, should it not be time for Vancouver to start pushing for, and into the playoffs? Not, be in a position to take on onerous contracts simply to acquire assets?

Reactions: DownGoesMcDavid

Goon42

Apr 12, 2013
I bet Lucic says this about every team he is asked about lol. He knows edmonton wants him out so he is pumping up any and every team.

Reactions: Steely Van

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
There were small tidbits during the season that Lucic could potentially be traded. Obviously never came to pass.

Would be interesting if it was the Canucks that were the ones interested.
Doesn’t make sense. Cause if he plays the same in Vancouver the fans will be way harder on him Han in Edmonton.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
His comments make it seem like he knows something is afoot.

The question I have is, should it not be time for Vancouver to start pushing for, and into the playoffs? Not, be in a position to take on onerous contracts simply to acquire assets?

His contract is more movable by the time the kids need a substantial raise. That could be on thing to keep in mind + also getting an asset from the Oilers to take the contract.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
That's a common misconception that is not quite true. There is only one scenario in which a NMC or NTC guaranteed inherently can disappear when a player is traded, and that is if they are traded before their clause becomes active. For instance, when Subban was traded by Montreal his NTC was not set to kick in on his new contract until July 1st. Nashville thus had the option of not honouring the NTC for the remainder of the contract (and they chose not to), voiding its existence.

However, Lucic's NMC is very much active right now. Which means the only way that NMC disappears is if he additionally explicitly agrees to get rid of it. The Canucks can say that Lucic has to agree to also get rid of the NMC from the remainder of the contract before they trade for him, and they can refuse to sign an agreement that they, the Canucks, will recognize the NMC, but if the Canucks don't agree to maintain the NMC in the contract Lucic has the right to simply refuse to be traded at that point. Basically, Lucic gets final say on if his NMC disappears or not. Capfriendly mentions it here here. But his clause doesn't just inherently disappear if he's traded.
I think you have that backwards. If you waive to be traded, the acquiring club has the option to reinstate. Since it was waived.
A contract traded before protection kicks in is taken on as is. Since no clauses were waived.

Reactions: cheswick

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
The main reason he came to the Oilers was to play with McDavid and that didn't turn out to be a good fit. The last 1.5 seasons have been a disaster for him.

I don't think he'll be on the team next season.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think you have that backwards. If you waive to be traded, the acquiring club has the option to reinstate. Since it was waived.
A contract traded before protection kicks in is taken on as is. Since no clauses were waived.

No, I have it right. If a contract is traded before the protection kicks in the acquiring team has the right to unilaterally get rid of the clauses. It happened to Subban. It also happened to Jeff Carter. You can see Subban's capfriendly page here for example...he had a NMC that was supposed to kick in on July 1, 2016, and Nashville chose not to honour it. Subban didn't have a say in the matter. Lucic will have a say in if his NMC disappears, however.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
His contract is more movable by the time the kids need a substantial raise. That could be on thing to keep in mind + also getting an asset from the Oilers to take the contract.
Okay. You do have to be careful because there will be a cost to move him too.

E draft is no worry since his nmc would be gone.

I suppose in a couple years he could develop agoraphobia and be unable to play. Then it’s off to Robidas Island with Lupul and Hoss.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Lucic only loses his NMC if the Canucks refuse to honour it and he accepts a trade there anyway.

• The clause can travel with the player even if he consents to being traded or is claimed on waivers
    • This requires that the acquiring team sign an addendum to the contract ensuring that the clause does in fact travel with the player (written by the player's agent)
    • If the acquiring team refuses to sign the addendum, and the player waives his clause anyway, at that point the clause may be nullified
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: Lackhalak

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
7 goals in his last 125 games for Lucic

So Vancouver gets the weaker offensive player (both suck) who is owed more money
Vancouver was 26th in goals last year

Everything about this is worse for vancouver, production, money, term etc etc

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
7 goals in his last 125 games for Lucic

So Vancouver gets the weaker offensive player (both suck) who is owed more money
Vancouver was 26th in goals last year

Everything about this is worse for vancouver, production, money, term etc etc

That's why if it happens then Oilers are adding something significant

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Lucic for Eriksson makes sense, but the cost is more than a 2nd. Not only is Lucic's contract for an additional year, but the Oilers expect to receive a better player for each of the next three years.

Eriksson for Lucic (NMC not honoured), 2019 3rd (NYI), and 2020 1st (EDM). 1st is top 10 protected, in which case it becomes becomes 2021 1st (EDM).

Feb 19, 2018
I could see Vancouver taking advantage of a situation where they take on Lucic and Subban this year to help both teams free up the money they want. They could use the 8th overall or a couple second round picks with Lucic ( a second and Pulujarvi?)and flip them to Nashville as part of a Subban deal. Would be pretty smart with being able to save some of their own assets and have an addition by subtraction situation.
Both players add the grit factor they need and money aside could provide a role for the team on bounce back years! Buying low on the dollar could even pay off and I could honestly see Eriksson and Lucic on a line together lol.
I think they would be smarter to utilize the Lucic situation straight up without moving salary back and gain the quality assets that would come with him instead of the depreciated ones by sending a Sutter or Eriksson the other way.
Next year try to move on from one or both of those players and see if you could gain something for them ( due to actual money owed on a contact and less term) or in Sutters case a playoff contender needing a shut down third line guy at the trade deadline!
Bonus if the cap keeps going up and the contracts start to look more “average” then overpaid. In Subbans case it makes Tanev more expandable at next years trade deadline and you could also gain assets from him and almost make the Subban trade a wash from the pieces you picked up by taking on Lucic and being able to trade Tanev without any hesitation because your right side D is so scarce.
If I was GM JB I’d look into these potential avenues and instead of backing up the brinks truck for UFA’s for huge money and term take advantage of my ELC’s and cap space as they aren’t ready to contend anyways. Knowing Seattle expansion is right around the corner you could always sweeten the pot like other teams in the past and get them to take on a Eriksson or Lucic if it doesn’t work out.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If you are traded before its kicked in the team you are traded to does not have to honour it.

You are technically right that traded with one the club has the option to reinstate but most people with nmc just don't agree to be traded unless the club they are going to agrees to honour the nmc effectively keeping it.

Lucic might not care tho if he has any self awareness he should know his contract is already super hard to move without needing a nmc.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Okay. You do have to be careful because there will be a cost to move him too.

I suppose in a couple years he could develop agoraphobia and be unable to play. Then it’s off to Robidas Island with Lupul and Hoss.
Not true exactly. His has a nmc for the duration of his contract.

When players with movement protection get traded those clauses do not automatically transfer.

But the players who waive them they can always ask the new team to sign a waiver to accept the current movement protection otherwise they won’t waive to go to that new team.

Lucic would be insane to waive his nmc. It assured him of remaining in the nhl rather than get redden in the A.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad