Its Scab time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Tb0ne said:
Then I'll go right out and say it, most of his team will as well.

Malkin included, if a new agreement is in place with Russia by then.

Hmm, it seems all they have to do now is get an impasse.

The players have no way to win the more that I think of it. Even if the NLRB rules against the owners, no sure thing, the damages, $1 billion plus in back pay, old CBA rules, etc, etc, would bankrupt the league that has almost every team losing money. That would drive the league under. What are those players thinking?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
So then it seems all it is, is a matter of the NHL winning the impasse. I think most players would cross, especially if veterans playing their last season did.

OilerFan4Life

Feb 27, 2004
Heartland of Hockey
Tb0ne said:
So then it seems all it is, is a matter of the NHL winning the impasse. I think most players would cross, especially if veterans playing their last season did.

there's no such thing as "winning the impasse". It's winning the legal battle after they declare an impasse. :)

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
as much as i hate to say this you don't want to break the union. because then all the antitrust laws would have the nhl in cort for the next ten years

NYFAN

Jul 8, 2004
Long Island
Jaded-Fan said:
The players have no way to win the more that I think of it. Even if the NLRB rules against the owners, no sure thing, the damages, $1 billion plus in back pay, old CBA rules, etc, etc, would bankrupt the league that has almost every team losing money. That would drive the league under. What are those players thinking?
Perhaps they are now thinking WHA.....

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
AM said:
How many "replacement players" are going to get their chance to break into the league next year?

EG get there chance, and show they should be there instead of the dead wood that dosnt want to play?

:speechles

If only we could find "replacements" for some of the bitter people who pretend to be NHL fans.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Tb0ne said:

Do you really think that guys like Chelios and Messier and Yzerman want to retire as scab players.

Balej20*

richardn said:
Do you really think that guys like Chelios and Messier and Yzerman want to retire as scab players.

its just a stupid label. it wont tarnish their career's, believe me.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
Most people would consider them more to be scabs when they are taking away people's jobs who need the money, rather then returning to work at the job they have.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Splatman Phanutier said:
Most people would consider them more to be scabs when they are taking away people's jobs who need the money, rather then returning to work at the job they have.

Quote me here if I am wrong but I don't think Chelios or Messier or Yzerman are playing over in Europe. Stars like Forsberg and Naslund have gone home to play because with no NHL they mise well be close to home.

Phanuthier*

richardn said:
Quote me here if I am wrong but I don't think Chelios or Messier or Yzerman are playing over in Europe. Stars like Forsberg and Naslund have gone home to play because with no NHL they mise well be close to home.
Ok, I'll quote you where your wrong.

Chelios is being a scab by taking away someone's job in the UHL.

There you go. You've been quoted and been proven wrong.

RealFalconsSupporter

Nov 25, 2003
New England
Visit site
I personally prefer the AHL and even ECHL and UHL brand of hockey over the NHL. More mistakes lead to much more spontanious and exciting plays. Far more breakaways and odd man attacks with a consistent effort every night. I thing most fans will really enjoy an NHL brand of hockey that isn't so perfect that it has become totally predictable and boring.

I don't think most fans could tell the difference between most players anyway. I have seen many Tampa Bay and Phoenix NHL players here over the last few years and it's almost impossible to determine any difference between regular AHL players and NHL players that play here.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RealFalconsSupporter said:
I don't think most fans could tell the difference between most players anyway. I have seen many Tampa Bay and Phoenix NHL players here over the last few years and it's almost impossible to determine any difference between regular AHL players and NHL players that play here.

Most fans know when there are replacement players being used instead of NHL players.

People didn't watch the NHL when actual NHL players were playing. What makes anyone think people will watch with replacement players?

No one has anything to gain by having replacement players play. That's why it won't happen. Why would any sponsor put money into this? What television network would put this on TV?

Please. This is never going to happen. Maybe it would if the NHL was on the map in the USA but it's not.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RealFalconsSupporter said:
I personally prefer the AHL and even ECHL and UHL brand of hockey over the NHL. More mistakes lead to much more spontanious and exciting plays. Far more breakaways and odd man attacks with a consistent effort every night. I thing most fans will really enjoy an NHL brand of hockey that isn't so perfect that it has become totally predictable and boring.

That's because you live in an AHL market. I'm sure people who live in NHL markets can tell the difference. Espically markets that have AHL AND NHL teams (Philadelphia) and an ECHL team about 1/2 hour away in Trenton, NJ.

RealFalconsSupporter

Nov 25, 2003
New England
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
That's because you live in an AHL market. I'm sure people who live in NHL markets can tell the difference. Espically markets that have AHL AND NHL teams (Philadelphia) and an ECHL team about 1/2 hour away in Trenton, NJ.

I have been to an NHL training camp without a program and regular NHL players along with prospects wearing different #'s. Other than a few well known NHL players that I recognized I couldn't tell the difference between most players and I have been watching and playing hockey all my life. I don't think the difference is that great. Like I said I see NHL players drop down all the time and this year we see regular NHL players in the AHL and they are not standing out like you may think.

I remember some Lightning players not getting icetime in Springfield but still managed to become key contributors to last years Stanley Cup.

The Phantoms have been a great draw in the past and if they are the only game in town I can see them easily averaging between 12 and 15G per game if tickets are priced just above what the AHL charge now.

I think most fans want to be entertained and care more about the name on the front of the jersey than the one on the back. I think most fans will be pleasantly suprised by a league composed of replacement players and players that cross the line/

Phanuthier*

go kim johnsson said:
Well, I could tell the difference between Jamie Wright and Jarome Iginla, but I sure couldn't tell the difference between Jamie Wright and Chris Clark. Past the 1st and 2nd liners, I really don't see much of a difference between the minor league Jamie Wrights of the AHL and the Steve Begin's and Chris Clark's of the NHL.

Hell, I remember last training camp, Robert Dome (a possible replacement player) was leading the Flames in pre-season scoring.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I remember when they filmed 'Sudden Death', a Claude Van Damme movie, at the Civic arena in Pittsburgh. They gave out a free hot dog and a drink and you got to see a fake part of a game. They likely got close to 9,000 out for that. You keep it cheap enough, and as well with the anti-union sentiment in this community, you might be surprised at how many would drop $20 for a replacement game here to send a message. Afterall break this union and maybe you kill two birds with one stone, getting some progress in 2006 with the MLBPA. You let hockey cave with non-support and not only is hockey lessened, in my opinion, but you lose any shot at changes in baseball too. I can not report on anywhere else, but ask Pens fans their opinions, and whether Pittsburghers will come to replacement games if only to send a message.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Why is it that everyone is ignoring one HUGE fact, that you can't have foreign nationals play as replacement workers in a strike situation? Get that through your heads. :banghead: So far the only name mentioned that can actually be a scab is Steve Kariya. And only for a Canadian team. If you want to know who the replacement players will be, look at Canada's Spengler Cup team. Then split those guys amongst the six Canadian teams, assuming all six are magically allowed to use scab labour. Jeff Shantz would be an all-star. This is the kind of hockey that people are drooling over?

For the US, it would be 1,000 times worse. 24 teams x 23 players. Even if a handful of players cross, you would still need to drudge up hundreds of Americans who aren't currently in the NHL. Bidding wars would erupt over Chris and Peter Ferraro.

You're making a huge mistake if you think this would even be AHL calibre.

KariyaIsGod*

Let's not forget that during the World Junior's Sidney Crosby also said that he would play as a scab if the possibility arose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad