Confirmed with Link: It's official: The NHL's 31st franchise - Las Vegas

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I don't know if they could object to the trademark request, being that London is not a professional team.

If it is registered it could be an issue, especially if they want use the same black uniforms as London.

The name isn't final in Vegas yet, so no use starting any conundrum on this.

Last edited:

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Congrats to Vegas!

Feel like kind of bad for Quebec, but their battle is far from over i have a feeling.

Hope Canes owner finally folds and sells/moves them over to QC after those faithful lawsuits against him bear fruit.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If it is registered it could be an issue.

The name isn't final in Vegas yet, so no use starting any conundrum on this.

Awesome so we can entertain some suggestions?

The Las Vegas Rats (Rat rod connection)
The Las Vegas Jacks (Pump the AC/DC song in their opening)
The Las Vegas Fear & Loathing
The Las Vegas Vaults
The Las Vegas Family (That would make game description pretty funny)
The Las Vegas Cherries

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

The Las Vegas Vaults
The Las Vegas Cherries

The Gold Miners, Gamblers, Travelers, Atomic Bomb Testers, Heat (hotter than Miami), Slushers (their ice rinks at 43 deg. C) ...

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The Las Vegas Vaults
The Las Vegas Cherries

I like the Slots.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pierre LeBrun ✔ @Real_ESPNLeBrun
Vegas will be given same odds in draft lottery as the team finishing with the third-fewest points during the 2016-17 regular season.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Why the Black Knights? Teams in the NHL who are named with an adjective first tend to change it.

Mighty Ducks -> Ducks
North Stars -> Stars

Friedman was saying that their owner sort of backed off from the black knights name.

Honestly, I don't think it's a bad name, but it does not sound like a done deal at this point.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Well tbf, they built a rink, sold season tickets and secured sponsorship. None of that would have mattered though if they weren't in the West, which was the biggest factor. Plus, the NHL wanted to be the first franchise in LV of the big 4.

Important to put down roots before the NBA and NFL get there.

How fast will those roots be pulled out when the NBA or NFL get there, though?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I thought it was the Las Vegas Aces. Black Knights aren't bad,but the city name is already two words.

The Aces would be a pretty cool name. Not funny enough tough:

The Las Vegas Fallout!
The Las Vegas Queens
The Las Vegas Clowns

:laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The Aces would be a pretty cool name. Not funny enough tough:

The Las Vegas Fallout!
The Las Vegas Queens
The Las Vegas Clowns

:laugh:

Vegas Aces would be a blow to Quebec....les As de Québec....

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
How fast will those roots be pulled out when the NBA or NFL get there, though?

I'm betting the NBA is looking closely to see how this plays out with the NHL. Internally, I believe they have flirted with the idea before. They even had an all star game there not too long ago. The arena is obviously ready to go as well.

NFL is a different beast. I think this is a sport that is very gambling driven, and they would be concerned about the implications of playing in Vegas.

Plus, I don't think any private investor has stepped up, and from what I heard, it will cost taxpayers 1 billion dollars to bring a team in.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I'm super happy to see a team coming to Las Vegas! This is a great news for hockey fans, I'm super hyped! The potential at Vegas is unlimited and I'm sure it will become a successful hockey market.

Awesome news, can't wait to plan a trip at Vegas!!:handclap:

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I thought it was the Las Vegas Aces. Black Knights aren't bad,but the city name is already two words.

Maybe there would be a conflict with the Quebec Aces. They played in the AHL. Team doesn't exist anymore but it's part of the NHL history as the farm club of the Flyers.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Boycott the Habs then because LV was unanimous and Geoff had all the reason in the world to to vote NO to Quebec City's bid.

It's the Habs market now. The old die-hard people now cheer for the Avalanche, Boston or Ottawa.

Never been in business hey? This argument is profoundly dumb.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Great job by the NHL for being the first of the major leagues to get a team in Vegas. I think that's a coup. The mere fact they could demand, and received, a $500m expansion fee is amazing.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I'm betting the NBA is looking closely to see how this plays out with the NHL. Internally, I believe they have flirted with the idea before. They even had an all star game there not too long ago. The arena is obviously ready to go as well.

NFL is a different beast. I think this is a sport that is very gambling driven, and they would be concerned about the implications of playing in Vegas.

Plus, I don't think any private investor has stepped up, and from what I heard, it will cost taxpayers 1 billion dollars to bring a team in.

For NBA, they could use the UNLV Runnin' Rebels arena. It's pretty big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad