Confirmed with Link: It's official: The NHL's 31st franchise - Las Vegas

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah!!!! Another team with 8000 empty seats most of the nights.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
And Quebec got buried live on TV, what a great day

haha, well it does make sense why they didn't get a team. Canadian dollar is garbage and the GDP is awful indicating it isn't going to bounce back. Plus, 16 teams in the east vs. 14 in the west (now 15).

QC will get a team when Carolina needs to move. Be patient Nordiques fans.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What a ****ing joke.....Quebec's best chance is to move the Canes to La Belle Province

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
16.6M dollars check and no team in Quebec City.

20140923-091504-g.jpg

edit: confirmed the team has no name yet. no clapping for Pierre Dion hahaha

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I have no problem with that. Vegas will rot at the bottom of thet standings while Quebec will get an existing team that will be much better and will cost less.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Why the Black Knights? Teams in the NHL who are named with an adjective first tend to change it.

Mighty Ducks -> Ducks
North Stars -> Stars

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Why the Black Knights? Teams in the NHL who are named with an adjective first tend to change it.

Mighty Ducks -> Ducks
North Stars -> Stars

It's a tribute to his military school background or something like this. Not sure the exact details, just know it has somethign to do with the military.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Wouldn't be surprised if scott mellanby leaves the Habs to join LV. Going to be very interesting to see who they get in the expansion draft. With the changes to the format they should get some decent players if they have good scouts/GM.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Wouldn't be surprised if scott mellanby leaves the Habs to join LV. Going to be very interesting to see who they get in the expansion draft. With the changes to the format they should get some decent players if they have good scouts/GM.

What about Kevin Gilmore? Think he'll pop up in some capacity there?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
But they do pay their players :naughty:

Yeah it's just a question of market. IIRC whenever a company submits for a trademark, any other company can file an objection. It can be rejected outright or the plaintiff has to make his case that the trademark would cause him serious damage. I don't think a CHL team could justify damage caused by an NHL team, but IANAL, so I don't know.

Fun fact: There's a bunch of sports team from the UCF (University of Central Florida) also named Knights and a New York Rugby team.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Can't say I'm not a little bitter about this.

To give a team to Las Vegas, in the desert, with zero hockey history before a place like Quebec City... it's just wrong.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada

To give a team to Las Vegas, in the desert, with zero hockey history before a place like Quebec City... it's just wrong.

Well tbf, they built a rink, sold season tickets and secured sponsorship. None of that would have mattered though if they weren't in the West, which was the biggest factor. Plus, the NHL wanted to be the first franchise in LV of the big 4.

Important to put down roots before the NBA and NFL get there.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

Boycott the Habs then because LV was unanimous and Geoff had all the reason in the world to to vote NO to Quebec City's bid.

It's the Habs market now. The old die-hard people now cheer for the Avalanche, Boston or Ottawa.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad