Confirmed with Link: It's Official! Penguins clinch a playoff spot and Toronto acquires their 2016 1st

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Don't forget that they still have to give up two 3rd round picks to NJ and Detroit for Lou and Babcock. I'm thinking 1 will be this year.

Lou has to give up a third for himself.:laugh:

Conditional 3rd for Babcock can be paid with the TOR '16 or '17. The 3rd for Lamoniello can be paid in either '16,'17 or '18. If we're last this season, then it's the '17 for Babcock. Wait to determine position next season and if it's the same, give the '18 with a mind that it would never be the higher selection.

Peanuts given what these guys have brought.

Mar 26, 2010
Awesome!

Toronto drafts Auston Matthews 1st overall and picks again in the 1st round! Great news.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
Plus, I think they have to use their own third round pick so they can't use the one they acquired from NJ (via PIT).

I'm fairly certain this is not correct - the Leafs only have to provide "a" third round pick to each team. If the Pittsburgh pick is fairly late in the third round, it makes sense to convey that pick for the coming draft.

Having all of those extra second round picks in future drafts helps with the fact that we have to give up a couple of third round picks.

EDIT - I'm trying to find something to verify this one way or another, but it's proving to be very difficult!

Last edited:

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
It's a relief that this is done and over with. Time to plan the "Thank you, Phil" chants for next season :sarcasm:

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
What about drafting Max Jones with Pittsburgh's first rounder ? We need some size and grit at some point.

That's who I would pick. He is probably the highest ranked guy that only sees 2nd line icetime.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
I'm fairly certain this is not correct - the Leafs only have to provide "a" third round pick to each team. If the Pittsburgh pick is fairly late in the third round, it makes sense to convey that pick for the coming draft.

Having all of those extra second round picks in future drafts helps with the fact that we have to give up a couple of third round picks.

EDIT - I'm trying to find something to verify this one way or another, but it's proving to be very difficult!

I think you are correct. I think initially they stated it had to be their own, but teams fought that & it became "a" third.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013

The reason I said "I think" is because on the cap friendly site, only the actual Leaf 3rd round picks have asterisks (which means there are conditions or whatever) but the one they got from NJ (via PIT), doesn't have one. Plus, I thought I heard it somewhere but that could have been in regards to something else.:dunno:

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
It's actually impossible for this to happen.

Washington have already clinched the Presidents Trophy. Meaning they are the best team in the NHL with the best record. Even if you didn't know that, mathematically you must gave noticed they are 20 points up on pitts before the day started with 5 games to go.

I think he means the divisional rounds of the playoffs thats why he says the pick could be 27th or later. Even with the presidents trophy if Washington loses in either of the first two rounds that pick is still only 26th.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

I will give my unsupported seconded to this. Iirc it's any pick not just ours.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
The way the Penguins are playing that pick is 27th OA (if I am not mistaken) and I really wish for them to collapse and go on a losing streak including the playoffs

Mad Brills*

Only way penguins pick is higher than 26 is if they go to the conference finals

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
What about drafting Max Jones with Pittsburgh's first rounder ? We need some size and grit at some point.

Good choice .... however its likely we will have to trade up as Jones will most likely get picked before the 15th pick.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Been hearing next years draft may be the weaker of the next three drafts so it would make sense to give up 2 3rd's in 2017.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Good choice .... however its likely we will have to trade up as Jones will most likely get picked before the 15th pick.

I don't know about him going before the 15th, not because he doesn't deserve it, but he's been hidden pretty well on the 2nd line. Button has him ranked 28th which is out to lunch. Hopefully other teams are in line with Button's assessment. My guess is he goes in the low 20's but if he's around when our Pitts pick comes up I would snag him regardless of how low that pick is.

Xscout*

Feb 9, 2014
i've wondered for a while...
do they have to be TOR picks? or can we trade for a couple extra 3rds in like 2017 and trade those...

say.. if we got CHI and LAK 3rd picks can those be the compensation??

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
i've wondered for a while...
do they have to be TOR picks? or can we trade for a couple extra 3rds in like 2017 and trade those...

say.. if we got CHI and LAK 3rd picks can those be the compensation??

I beiieve its your pick or better, but I'm not 100% sure.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Penguins might be the favourite in the East the way they're playing.

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I asked around about the conditions on the 3rd's for Babcock and LL. The answer was any third within a three year span at the Leafs discretion. If so, it make sense for it to be a 3rd from a higher ranked team, in a weaker year.

Mad Brills*

I asked around about the conditions on the 3rd's for Babcock and LL. The answer was any third within a three year span at the Leafs discretion. If so, it make sense for it to be a 3rd from a higher ranked team, in a weaker year.

It'll be 2017 and 18.

The sharks picks in 2017 and 2018 offset that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad