GDT: its my gdt comeback party!

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
Guys like him and Bergeron have a tendency to do that. It's a good thing.

I know it's good that he's able to control the play, but it can be frustrating when the eye test says 55-60 point center while the actual offensive outputs are closer to 40. Especially on a team with the tendency to dominate the play and still lose.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I honestly think that's simply a matter of us not having enough finish in our lineup outside of the Skinner and TT lines. The eventual addition of guys like Goat and Roy should help a bit in the depth department.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully we'll eventually get a true high end two way guy to play with Jordan some day, whether it be a guy like Lindy finally putting it together, a prospect, or a trade. He's been effective with poor man's type of guys like that his entire career, but hasn't really had a ton of high end two way guys that he's gotten to spend a whole lot of time with. Be nice if we could go back in time and get a prime Williams to play with him.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Must be nice having a possession-oriented system that uses five guys and tries to actually play hockey.

Your Canes exposed our outdated, trashy system for what it is.

I'm incredibly jealous.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Hopefully we'll eventually get a true high end two way guy to play with Jordan some day, whether it be a guy like Lindy finally putting it together, a prospect, or a trade. He's been effective with poor man's type of guys like that his entire career, but hasn't really had a ton of high end two way guys that he's gotten to spend a whole lot of time with. Be nice if we could go back in time and get a prime Williams to play with him.

I think Roy or Goat could be that guy here as soon as next year, though they won't be entirely ready for prime-time just yet. Goat as that big, quick, finisher on a line with Jordan and Lindy would be huge for this team but I'm not sure he'd be up for the defensive responsibilities that come with Jordan's line just yet. Roy I have more faith in when it comes to that but I don't think he has quite explosiveness of Goat. Then again Rask didn't have a lot of explosiveness either and look how that turned out.

Must be nice having a possession-oriented system that uses five guys and tries to actually play hockey.

Your Canes exposed our outdated, trashy system for what it is.

I'm incredibly jealous.

Of all the moves that Francis made as GM that one had to be the most important. It'll take some time to buy in but someone that runs that type of system that Babcock or Peters does is huge. You guys have the pieces once you dump Disco as long as it's not for another guy of the same ilk. A guy like Scott Walker could be a solid fit but I'm not sure he's interested in coaching full-time. IIRC he stepped down at Guelph due to family health issues. He's a guy I've wanted for a while to run the Checkers for us.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I honestly think that's simply a matter of us not having enough finish in our lineup outside of the Skinner and TT lines. The eventual addition of guys like Goat and Roy should help a bit in the depth department.

True, the lack of finish keeps players numbers down. Tonight though, the lack of finish that kept Jordan off the scoresheet was his own.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I do wonder if the guy from the Avs that might fit best of all would be Landeskog, even though I'd love Duchene. Not really sure what deal there is to be made there though.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I'd love to see what Jstaalo could do with somebody like a Nyquist, but it seems like he always does better with bottom 6 types. Not that there's a need to break up the 4th line right now, but I bet a Nordstrom-Staal-Stalberg line would wreck shop.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I do wonder if the guy from the Avs that might fit best of all would be Landeskog, even though I'd love Duchene. Not really sure what deal there is to be made there though.

I've been wondering that one myself. Landy just seems like he'd be the perfect kind of guy to slot in on the Staal line for us. Still has a very friendly contract long-term as well.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
we won, philly lost, closing the gap while keeping the games in hand

sportsclubstats jumped us up 10% last night because of those two things, now a 31% chance to make the playoffs

seems like theyve got 95 pts as the magic number now, at least above a 50% chance to make the playoffs with that total

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think Roy or Goat could be that guy here as soon as next year, though they won't be entirely ready for prime-time just yet. Goat as that big, quick, finisher on a line with Jordan and Lindy would be huge for this team but I'm not sure he'd be up for the defensive responsibilities that come with Jordan's line just yet. Roy I have more faith in when it comes to that but I don't think he has quite explosiveness of Goat. Then again Rask didn't have a lot of explosiveness either and look how that turned out.

Of all the moves that Francis made as GM that one had to be the most important. It'll take some time to buy in but someone that runs that type of system that Babcock or Peters does is huge. You guys have the pieces once you dump Disco as long as it's not for another guy of the same ilk. A guy like Scott Walker could be a solid fit but I'm not sure he's interested in coaching full-time. IIRC he stepped down at Guelph due to family health issues. He's a guy I've wanted for a while to run the Checkers for us.

If by family health, you mean the health of his family life I think you're right, Dave. I'd have to hunt for the article but he basically said that the fact that he pretty much went straight from playing to coaching was putting a strain on his family and he wanted to take some time to just be a husband and a father. As his kid(s) get older I could see him being interested in getting back into coaching, but that could also depend on his wife's health. Last I heard she was in good health and in remission, so that's a positive sign.

beating the sabres is always a good thing

quote this post if you agree

QFT. Now we know how the game went on "good ice" and not our subpar hazardous, take one step on it and you'll die PNC Arena ice. :laugh:

Dishface

Registered Jerk
Sep 27, 2013
Kenosha, WI
Wasn't able to watch the game, but saw the highlights and the sabres PBP Announcer, Rick, made some comments that stuck out. On their only goal, they figured out Hanifin and Tennyson hug the posts when the puck is behind the net leaving the slot wide open. Also mentioned how quickly we went into defensive mode after their goal and momentum shifted.

Neighbor Lee

Sponsor
Oct 25, 2013
Droneview
Wasn't able to watch the game, but saw the highlights and the sabres PBP Announcer, Rick, made some comments that stuck out. On their only goal, they figured out Hanifin and Tennyson hug the posts when the puck is behind the net leaving the slot wide open. Also mentioned how quickly we went into defensive mode after their goal and momentum shifted.

Well that explains it; seemed like a designed play and so it's interesting to hear the background.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad