It's January 2015 And The Sabres Are Hovering Around .500 .....

Bps21*

Also...coaches have different skills anyway. Nolan may be the perfect guy for developing an attitude and culture and all those unprovable things that don't show up in stat sheets....

But everyone close your eyes and think down the line when this team is finally great. Is ted nolan behind the bench then? Because I don't believe he is.

So he is no better than rolston on the winning part? Right now? Bonus.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I never really got that either. People just love to put to put on their rose-colored glasses when it comes to the Bills, and every year loads of people predict 10-6 and playoffs, even though it never happens.

The Bills always get the benefit of the doubt. The Sabres rarely do. Don't know why that is.
Year-round football hype. Football PR schmucks go hard all offseason to sell season tickets, which isn't quite as prevalent in hockey. Football drafts a few guys that most people have seen in college, and then has mini-camps soon after.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Year-round football hype. Football PR schmucks go hard all offseason to sell season tickets, which isn't quite as prevalent in hockey. Football drafts a few guys that most people have seen in college, and then has mini-camps soon after.

The 16 game season is more susceptible to chance as well, and while not every team goes from crap to Superbowl winner, the fluctuation in record from year to year can be massive. I think that all lends itself to hope as much as anything.

TimMcClure*

My dream season is 0-82, we lose every game 4-3 with a decent Corsi, Reinhart has 20-35-55 and wins the Calder, Girgensons has 19-21-40, Myers 15-35-50, Ennis 25-35-60, Stafford 30-25-55, Hodgson 25-25-50 etc - we just lose every game due to a bad goal.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My dream season is 0-82, we lose every game 4-3 with a decent Corsi, Reinhart has 20-35-55 and wins the Calder, Girgensons has 19-21-40, Myers 15-35-50, Ennis 25-35-60, Stafford 30-25-55, Hodgson 25-25-50 etc - we just lose every game due to a bad goal.

#1. Who gives a **** about Corsi when you are losing every game?
#2. Seriously. Corsi, like any other stat, that always has to be taken in context. I want a team of players who give two ***** about Corsi (or any other stat) and care about the win. The talent level on the team is going to dictate that we are going to lose quite a bit. But nobody wants a repeat of last year. Losing breeds losing. Nobody wants to play in a city where losing is accepted.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY

My dream season?

The team plays hard every night and gets a taste of winning and progress, seeing a 10-15 point improvement over last season, and finishing 2nd last in the league. Ahead of NYI. And STL has a down year, narrowly misses the playoffs, and wins the draft lottery.

That's my dream season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
My dream season?

The team plays hard every night and gets a taste of winning and progress, seeing a 10-15 point improvement over last season, and finishing 2nd last in the league. Ahead of NYI. And STL has a down year, narrowly misses the playoffs, and wins the draft lottery.

That's my dream season.

Since we are doing "dream seasons"...

Sabres win the cup, and with NYI's pick we get McDavid.:sarcasm:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
My dream season?

That's my dream season.

You people have ****** dreams.

My Dream season: Grigerenko comes to camp and is amazing. Absolutely dominates and is our #1 center. Reinhart gets to hide his Girg's shadow a bit while he develops, but still puts up 60 points. Gorges and Myers gel perfectly and Myers is playing 25+ minutes a night and the hands down Norris trophy winner. Girgensons is an elite shutdown center that scores 25 goals and 40 assits while winning the selke trophy. Risto, Zadorov, and McCabe all make the team and play amazing. The Buffalo Bills are so inspired by the Sabres turn around they go 16-0 and win the superbowl and Tom Brady retires saying "We'll never be as good as Buffalo, whats the point?"

Tim Murray calls me up personally 2 weeks before the trade deadline and invites me to be the assistant GM. We prank call Darcy Regier and high five and convince Terry to buy the Buffalo news just to fire the sports writing department. The Sabres win the presidents trophy and steam roll every team on the way to winning a cup.

In a TV interview, Rod Brind'Amour admits the 2006 Cup win for Carolina was pure luck and apologizes personally to the Sabres for being so damn ugly. Brett Hull admits it wasn't a goal in 1999.

THAT is my dream season. You people are ****ing masochists in your dreams you see the Sabres finishing dead last.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Also...coaches have different skills anyway. Nolan may be the perfect guy for developing an attitude and culture and all those unprovable things that don't show up in stat sheets....

But everyone close your eyes and think down the line when this team is finally great. Is ted nolan behind the bench then? Because I don't believe he is.

So he is no better than rolston on the winning part? Right now? Bonus.

We honestly don't know this because he's never had a "great" team. He's always been given crappy teams, and there's no denying that.

Who knows what happens with Nolan in the short term. He may only last 2 seasons out of 3 (but I doubt that). But he also may turn this thing around enough to get an extension for maybe 2-3 more seasons. Either way, I do believe that if he's able to bring that culture of hard work and playing hard to this team, you never know how far that can take you. I'm not saying he's great for a team that's ready to compete, all I'm saying is I, along with everyone else, don't know how he is with those teams..b/c he's Never had one of those.

I do believe that what is very key to if he stays long term or not is going to be the assistants he surrounds himself with. If he's able to get some good assistants in there, and they are all able to collectively share a vision and implement it for this team, I think that helps him. He needs people to help him create a system, not just "hard work". Hard work is Great, but there needs to be strategic involvement for teams.

I remember a post on this forum where people mentioned before that Nolan's assistants were the primary people in doing game planning (during his time here in Buffalo). They were the ones that looked at match ups night in and night out...so hopefully that happens again here.

There's no denying it for now though, this IS the guy you want for a young rebuilding team. If he can remain patient for a season or 2, I think he'll start to see the light for how high the ceiling is for this team. There's some things he can't control, like if we get a potential superstar or 2 in the 2015 draft which to be honest, is so crucial to what we're "planning" on for this team. If we get Mcdavid and/or Eichel, I think that just helps the talent level of this team so tremendously.

We've already added reinhart up front, and Risto Zads Myers Pysyk McCabe etc are all going to be very good on the back end. But if we can just get him more talent up there, preferably superstar talent (McDavid), that helps in keeping him around quite a bit.

I've repeatedly heard on interviews players loving to play for him. So hopefully that continues and our stud rookies that are coming into the NHL get off to a great start under him. I think Nolan will really like coaching guys like Ristolainen and Zadorov, 2 young blue chip prospects who can really make an impact on this team.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
Seconded. I hate that Buffalo fans always seem to want to chase all European and Russian skill out of town for being "lazy".

Exactly...I just feel that as true fans of this team you want to ROOT for his development and for him to truly pan out into what he's capable of being. This guy was so highly touted and his ceiling was always known as a top level all-star center. He's just so frecking young and has just in the past year started to realize what he needs to in order to reach is potential. You can't blame him, he was only 18 when he entered the league, and then we mishandled him so badly. I just think he deserves the benefit of the doubt. And if this season he tears up the AHL (which I truly believe he will do), then holy crap is that scary for what our offense could look like in a couple seasons. Because let's face it, Grigo becoming what he was drafted to become increases our ammunition by a lot. Plus he's a big kid, 6'3" and now 220 pounds due to the offseason training he's been doing.

You can tell he's working hard, I just hope our organization is patient with him for at least this season. I'd hate to trade away or lose as a free agent someone who ends up being a sickkk player for another team...just means we wasted a high first round draft pick :/

TimMcClure*

#1. Who gives a **** about Corsi when you are losing every game?

It means the team is playing well, the games are fairly entertaining - i want to finish 30th but I want all players who are part of our future to play well.

We've come too far to settle for a Barzal, Konecny or Kylington.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Seconded. I hate that Buffalo fans always seem to want to chase all European and Russian skill out of town for being "lazy".

And I hate when fans make sweeping generalizations that aren't true. Don't know too many fans that are looking to run Zadorov, Risto, Girgensons or Larsson out of town.

Grigorenko unfairly gets crap from some (not all) because he was put in a situation he wasn't ready for. He struggled badly in the NHL. That's not on him but Darcy for putting him in a situation he was bound to fail in. Many are coming around and beginning to realize that and giving the kid a second chance. Particularly when they see how hard he has worked after going to juniors. Plus the overall growth of his game we've seen in his stint with the Amerks late last year. Others are just being stubborn. They wanted him to dazzle from the get go. When it didn't happen they've turned on him and have not given him a second chance.

Personally I'm excited to see his development back on track. This year should be fun watching him further develop his game at the AHL level. Possibly getting some NHL time as well.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
^^
Good post.

I believe older posters / fans / coaches / gms realize that roles and situations mean a lot more for younger players transitioning successfully from JR to pro (regardless of what country / pro-level we are talking about). Not all palyers are the same, either.

Thankfully also, Grigs will not be the sole focus / scrutiny this year:
Myers
Reinhart
Zadorov
Risto
Pysyk
others

will all be scrutinized, as well as the goalie situation. Hopefully, for Grigs development, the world will not be singularly focused on him.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
If we have more prospects in Roch than Buf, like Grigo, Armia, Risto, McCabe, etc..I think I'll be paying attention more to Amerks games than Sabres lol especially if some of these guys are tearing it upppp

Think Zads will be back in juniors. He'll probably be pissed, but I think its fair to say he needs another season of development in juniors. AHL would be great, but that's not an option :/ It's just that he's such a raw product and has ALOTT of potential, why rush him and risk stalling his development a bit when he can get better and play more in juniors on a good team than a last place crap team. When juniors is done, he'll join the Amerks for the playoff run. It'll be nice for him. But we'll see what happens..

I kinda don't wanna burn that first year off his ELC. We already did it with Risto and completely screwed up Grigo...not too happy about either of those...I wish their ELC wouldn't of kicked in for a whileee :/ But it is what it is.

If he makes strides in his game this season in Juniors I can see him in the starting lineup the following season for sureeeeee then...esp if we get McDavid, then it's just balls to the wall...Throw them all in and fly loll

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad