It's going to be an exciting week

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I wonder if we trade Gonchar now,pick up Niskanen and someone like Simon Dupreis now to make the difference. We need two more defenceman.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
Remember that buy-outs are for the next two SUMMERS so don't expect any of that in the next week. Could be wrong on that fact but I am pretty sure that is the case.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
Yeah, as far as anyone can tell, since final details aren't available, the free buyouts don't kick in until June and again June 2013. So no buyouts yet.

Maybe there's going to be trades, but the numbers from the potential CBA mean that not many teams actually are forced to make moves to get over or under the caps. They're playing under a prorated 70.something million cap and no team is over that. The floor is up to 44.something and no team is under that.

I really don't think there's going to be too much movement, save the odd signing here and there to fill spaces from injury or to address depth, See Ottawa's Defense for an example.

Luongo MIGHT get moved, but I don't know if the numbers will work. Remember, there's no grace period like the offseason to get under the cap, we're operating (I assume) like it's the middle of the season for cap purposes.

Oct 10, 2010
will Ottawa use one of their Buyouts?

Will Ottawa trade for Hjammasson? especially because of Cowen.

Will Ottawa trade for a top 6? Trade Mika?

Btw, how long is Cowan out for? Any chance he's back this year perhaps if we make the playoffs?

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Yeah, as far as anyone can tell, since final details aren't available, the free buyouts don't kick in until June and again June 2013. So no buyouts yet.

Maybe there's going to be trades, but the numbers from the potential CBA mean that not many teams actually are forced to make moves to get over or under the caps. They're playing under a prorated 70.something million cap and no team is over that. The floor is up to 44.something and no team is under that.

I really don't think there's going to be too much movement, save the odd signing here and there to fill spaces from injury or to address depth, See Ottawa's Defense for an example.

Luongo MIGHT get moved, but I don't know if the numbers will work. Remember, there's no grace period like the offseason to get under the cap, we're operating (I assume) like it's the middle of the season for cap purposes.
How close are the Rangers with Redden's contract included? Because from my (admittedly spotty) info, he's back on their cap.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Anybody know when Condra will be flying in?

Discuss.

I don't know anything about that, but I'm excited to follow the career of his little brother; future superstar Sean Condra.

Condra2Condra in Ottawa's future?

Confer.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
In regards to buyouts, we won't see any before this season starts. It will begin this summer. I'm happy we don't have bad contracts to buy out, but it will be good for a few teams. Montreal (Gomez, Kaberle) and Rangers (Redden). I'm sure you will see a bunch of guys get bought out this summer, but I don't think Ottawa will need to do that.

It will be interesting to see how many trades are made between now and the start of the season though. We should see a few at least.

kilroy

Aug 13, 2007
How close are the Rangers with Redden's contract included? Because from my (admittedly spotty) info, he's back on their cap.

With it? They're technically over the actual cap of 60 million, but are allowed to spend to 70.2 million and even with Redden's contract they're under that by about 2 million with 13 forwards, 7 defense and 2 tenders. They do need to re-sign Del Zotto. Now, I don't know if players currently in the AHL on one-way deals will be exempted from this, if not, Redden may get a reprieve somewhere for this season. It won't be here, though. He's just too expensive and I don't think Melnyk's going to chuck that kind of cash at a guy who's a huge risk.

GK

Not Jeeks
Apr 2, 2010
Banff
I wonder if we trade Gonchar now,pick up Niskanen and someone like Simon Dupreis now to make the difference. We need two more defenceman.

Gonchar was the best defenseman in the KHL. I wouldn't give him up yet.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
So let me get this straight. One way contracts count against the NHL cap no matter where they are? (Even Russia, Sweden, etc?)

And someone mentioned something about waivers changing or something?

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
My personal thoughts on the proposal:

Sens definitely get better this season. Malone is better than Greening and more physical than Greening and will be for the duration of his contract. Acquiring Malone IMO makes any 3rd line he plays on dangerous, whereas Greening is more a complimentary player. Malone is a better top 6er too. Now, there's nothing I'd love more than having Greening streaking down the wing for the next 10 years, but I also feel loyalty to Alfie to surround him with talent this year. Malone is slow but he adds a certain dynamic to our team.
Aulie doesn't replace Cowen but he does fill a void physically and he has the size to clear the net and PK. He's also quite young and could be invaluable over the years as a great #6 DMan. Gryba gets a shot elsewhere in the league.

When all is said and done, this trade all depends on how Tampa values Malone. If they see value in shedding his contract, I think this goes through. If they would rather shed money elsewhere (Ohlund) and feel that they have sufficient cap space, Tampa likely doesnt make this deal.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Doubtful. I don't see anyone on the roster with an unmanageable contract or one that's excessively long or over valued to warrant it.

This, I don't understand... I have been told hundred times that Bryan Murray is horrible with contracts... that he overpays each and every time... It's time to get rid of a contract but now we can't find one? Jason Spezza or Milan Michalek perhaps?

lolz, I wish fans will have smarten up with this lockout but I really doubt that it will be the case

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad