It's going to be an exciting week

simplefan

May 25, 2008
Remember just before the lockout, some MAJOR deals were close. Now if training camp starts on Wednesday, the following days will showcase a Luongo move, severals signings.

So which are the potential moves, you would expect?

Last edited by a moderator:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Remember just before the lockout, some MAJOR deals were close. Now if training camp starts on Wednesday, the following days will showcase a Luongo move, severals signings.

So which are the potential moves, you would expect?

For moves, I expect there to be a TON. The Luongo/Schneider situation will resolve itself quickly, IMO.

Buyouts are going to be fast and furious. Obvious names include (though probably not ALL of them will get bought out):
Ville Leino
Shawn Horcoff
Scott Gomez
Mike Komisarek
Keith Ballard

... also, I think there might be one or two guys who get bought out, guys who will catch us blindsided, and the general reaction among fans will be something like "that guy still had value, why didn't they trade him instead?"

NinjaSlap

Jun 4, 2011
For moves, I expect there to be a TON. The Luongo/Schneider situation will resolve itself quickly, IMO.

Buyouts are going to be fast and furious. Obvious names include (though probably not ALL of them will get bought out):
Ville Leino
Shawn Horcoff
Scott Gomez
Mike Komisarek
Keith Ballard

... also, I think there might be one or two guys who get bought out, guys who will catch us blindsided, and the general reaction among fans will be something like "that guy still had value, why didn't they trade him instead?"

Leafs need Komisarek and he only has one year left (I believe). He won't be bought out.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Leafs need Komisarek and he only has one year left (I believe). He won't be bought out.

Komi has 2 years left, this year and 2013-14.

Komisarek is one of the main reasons I added the caveat there saying not all of them would get bought out immediately.

I actually think he's 100% going to get bought out, only the leafs will do it at the END of the season. Remember, teams get until the 2013-14 season to buy out their two guys. Use Komi this year, can him in the offseason, and replace him via a better UFA.

simplefan

May 25, 2008
will Ottawa use one of their Buyouts?

Will Ottawa trade for Hjammasson? especially because of Cowen.

Will Ottawa trade for a top 6? Trade Mika?

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

Ville Leino
Shawn Horcoff
Scott Gomez
Mike Komisarek
Keith Ballard

Gomez's contract won't get bought out, there's only three years left on his contract and next year he'll be worth 5 million $. He can still play hockey too.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'd take a shot at Ballard for one year. :dunno:

Absolutely. If Ballard gets cut loose by the Canucks, I'm in.

Ballard is still a very capable NHL defenceman assuming you're only looking at him in a 5/6 role. I even think he has 2nd pair upside, if everything goes right and a change of scenery can let him find his game again.

Ballard's problem is he's getting paid like a low-end 1st pairing defenceman, when at this point he's a bottom pairing #5 guy. Just his luck: we need a bottom pairing, #5 guy!

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Gomez's contract won't get bought out, there's only three years left on his contract and next year he'll be worth 5 million $. He can still play hockey too.

Well, I think one of Gomez or Kaberle gets bought out. Their combined contracts puts the Habs in a tight spot.

Like Komisarek, I think the only chance he doesn't get bought out immediately is if the Habs feel as though their center depth this year is too thin, there's not enough time to replace him considering how little time we have until the beginning of the season, and wait until next season's offseason to buy him out.

You're probably thinking of Gionta.

This. Gionta's hella-useful. Gomez... ehh... not so much.

TheOriginalSilf*

If Gomez doesn't get bought out, that'd be the biggest surprise of the century.

NinjaSlap

Jun 4, 2011
Well, I think one of Gomez or Kaberle gets bought out. Their combined contracts puts the Habs in a tight spot.

Like Komisarek, I think the only chance he doesn't get bought out immediately is if the Habs feel as though their center depth this year is too thin, there's not enough time to replace him considering how little time we have until the beginning of the season, and wait until next season's offseason to buy him out.

Tomas Plekanec, David Desharnais, Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk (assuming he makes the team) can all play down the middle.

jhjhjhjhjhjh*

This. Gionta's hella-useful. Gomez... ehh... not so much.

Gomez can still play hockey and be useful, I don't think Bergevin wants to buy him out. He'll probably ride out his contract.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Maybe I'm wrong but I don't expect a whole lot of movement. In a short season every team is going to believe they have a shot at making the playoffs so they won't be keen to move players off their roster.

Teams will address the falling cap in the summer with compliance buyouts and things of that nature.

NinjaSlap

Jun 4, 2011
If the Habs buyout Gomez and Kaberle, they'd have about 12 mil in cap space. Some of which would go to signing PK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad