It's Bettmans time to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
He won't go off into the sunset, he won't be a hero, but he should be shown the door. Watching sportsnet today, the radio show they have televised, they were talking about how poor of a job the NHL does marketing their larger markets, and not demanding better out of them, as far as winning situations, Boston, LA and, Chicago being the largest markets, that really seem to be contributing the least, compared to the market they reach out too.

I know people who might support Bettman might say, it's not up to the league, it's up to the individual teams to promote themselves, and I would agree, to a point. But the overall status of the league, especially the large NHL cities, and I'll exclude Toronto and Montreal, they're fine, is ridiculously bad.

The fact that Wirtz in Chicago, blacks out local broadcasts is a travesty for Hawks fans, and the NHL should take it upon themselves to force Wirtz to change his stance on this. It's in the best interests of the team, and the league, to sell the Blackhawks as much as they can.

The NHL network is a joke, I know it's a tsn channel, but the NHL should take far more interest into a channel, which sole purpose is to sell the game.

A good point made by the guys on sportsnet today about Bettman. He's there when good news made, he's ready to take credit when they league has something positive to say, but he's absent, and never believes anything is wrong with the league, always pointing to other figures to suggest everything is rosy.

I really believe this league needs a better man at the helm. I remember reading somewhere recently that the SCF was out rated by the Gold Cup of Soccer in the states, which is a sad state, IMO.

I really think this league has only reached a fraction of it's potential, and with a better businessman running the show, maybe that guy who was mentioned from NASCAR, the league would do a better job selling the game, and not continuously draw less viewers than Arena League Football, or the WNBA.

I'm sure there are some better educated posters on here that can shed some better light on who would be a better option as commisioner, because I for one am really tired of that Weasle Bettman running this circus.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
He won't go off into the sunset, he won't be a hero, but he should be shown the door. Watching sportsnet today, the radio show they have televised, they were talking about how poor of a job the NHL does marketing their larger markets, and not demanding better out of them, as far as winning situations, Boston, LA and, Chicago being the largest markets, that really seem to be contributing the least, compared to the market they reach out too.

I know people who might support Bettman might say, it's not up to the league, it's up to the individual teams to promote themselves, and I would agree, to a point. But the overall status of the league, especially the large NHL cities, and I'll exclude Toronto and Montreal, they're fine, is ridiculously bad.

The fact that Wirtz in Chicago, blacks out local broadcasts is a travesty for Hawks fans, and the NHL should take it upon themselves to force Wirtz to change his stance on this. It's in the best interests of the team, and the league, to sell the Blackhawks as much as they can.

The NHL network is a joke, I know it's a tsn channel, but the NHL should take far more interest into a channel, which sole purpose is to sell the game.

A good point made by the guys on sportsnet today about Bettman. He's there when good news made, he's ready to take credit when they league has something positive to say, but he's absent, and never believes anything is wrong with the league, always pointing to other figures to suggest everything is rosy.

I really believe this league needs a better man at the helm. I remember reading somewhere recently that the SCF was out rated by the Gold Cup of Soccer in the states, which is a sad state, IMO.

I really think this league has only reached a fraction of it's potential, and with a better businessman running the show, maybe that guy who was mentioned from NASCAR, the league would do a better job selling the game, and not continuously draw less viewers than Arena League Football, or the WNBA.

I'm sure there are some better educated posters on here that can shed some better light on who would be a better option as commisioner, because I for one am really tired of that Weasle Bettman running this circus.

For real... to this day it makes me wonder how a league posting 2+ billion $$$ in revenues can't market better than they do. I just don't get it.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Um- is this Groundhog Day and not Independence Day- have I not seen this post before or many times before about Bettman and wanting him gone? Am I missing something new or different with this thread? I think we have covered this topic many times and the only people with the real power to kick him out just gave him a pretty good raise and extension so he ain't going anywhere anytime soon- sorry for the news.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
For real... to this day it makes me wonder how a league posting 2+ billion $$$ in revenues can't market better than they do. I just don't get it.

Those revenues are nearly 5x larger than they were when Bettman was hired. That alone is one of the major reasons why Bettman isn't going anywhere soon.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Baseball fans pretty well liked Peter Ueberroth when he was the MLB commissioner. The owners hated him, and canned him after one term. Baseball fans can't stand Bud Selig, and I guarantee he'll be in there until he either dies or decides he wants to leave.

It's amazing how many people think Bettman will be canned any day now, and fail to realize who actually holds the key to that decision. Hint: the fans have less than squat to do with whether he stays or goes. How many times does David Stern get in front of a microphone and talk about what's wrong with the NBA? How many times did Rozelle and Tagliabue opine about the problems with the NFL ad nauseum - yet you expect Bettman to do it?

The league has zero power to force teams to do whatever to market their teams. If Wirtz wants to run his team into the ground, hey - that's his problem.

If you're tired of "that weasel Bettman" running the NHL, then you have two choices:
1. Deal with it, or
2. Come back to the game when someone else is in charge.

$20 says I know which choice you'll make.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Baseball fans pretty well liked Peter Ueberroth when he was the MLB commissioner. The owners hated him, and canned him after one term. Baseball fans can't stand Bud Selig, and I guarantee he'll be in there until he either dies or decides he wants to leave.

It's amazing how many people think Bettman will be canned any day now, and fail to realize who actually holds the key to that decision. Hint: the fans have less than squat to do with whether he stays or goes. How many times does David Stern get in front of a microphone and talk about what's wrong with the NBA? How many times did Rozelle and Tagliabue opine about the problems with the NFL ad nauseum - yet you expect Bettman to do it?

The league has zero power to force teams to do whatever to market their teams. If Wirtz wants to run his team into the ground, hey - that's his problem.

If you're tired of "that weasel Bettman" running the NHL, then you have two choices:
1. Deal with it, or

Right on!!! :clap::clap:

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.

1. Deal with it, or

Never said I was going to leave the game, but I think there are holes in this league, that Bettman either just refuses to fill, or thinks are fine, and doesn't see as a problem. The TV contract he has with VS for one, or getting booted off NBC for the preakness pre game show. I really do believe the NHL does a horrible job marketing itself, especially with the large market teams.

I know the NHL, commisioner Bettman can't go in and make teams do exactly what they want to, but I don't really see them trying to make a better situation out of Chicago either. It's in the best interest of the Blackhawks, and the NHL to have the Hawks marketed to the best of their abilities.

And a "deal with it", or "come back to the game later" comment doesn't really seem much different then "if you don't like our team the way it is, you can cheer for someone else" comment I hear posters slam other posters with. I'm a fan, I don't like the way I see the league being run, and I think the best change that can be made, is bringing in someone with a much different philosophy at the top. I feel like GB has put this league on cruise control, and doesn't really feel the need to change things.

And sorry if people feel this topic has been beaten to death, but my suggestion would be, if you don't like the thread topic, move along, and comment on something else, you don't "have to" comment on every topic that's in HF.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Never said I was going to leave the game, but I think there are holes in this league, that Bettman either just refuses to fill, or thinks are fine, and doesn't see as a problem. The TV contract he has with VS for one, or getting booted off NBC for the preakness pre game show. I really do believe the NHL does a horrible job marketing itself, especially with the large market teams.

I know the NHL, commisioner Bettman can't go in and make teams do exactly what they want to, but I don't really see them trying to make a better situation out of Chicago either. It's in the best interest of the Blackhawks, and the NHL to have the Hawks marketed to the best of their abilities.

And a "deal with it", or "come back to the game later" comment doesn't really seem much different then "if you don't like our team the way it is, you can cheer for someone else" comment I hear posters slam other posters with. I'm a fan, I don't like the way I see the league being run, and I think the best change that can be made, is bringing in someone with a much different philosophy at the top. I feel like GB has put this league on cruise control, and doesn't really feel the need to change things.

And sorry if people feel this topic has been beaten to death, but my suggestion would be, if you don't like the thread topic, move along, and comment on something else, you don't "have to" comment on every topic that's in HF.

And why is this topic that has been gone over and over again not combined with another thread dealing with the same talk about Bettman. Usually this is what is done if similar topics are brought up on the board- hum? I think we know the general consensus among posters here is that they want Bettman to go or have hated his actions as commissioner or whatever. It is like the Winnipeg threads- over and over the same thing.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
This will be a fun thread when it's repeated next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that...

The owners love Bettman. They have the only vote that matters.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
I think it's a good idea for Bettman to walk. We can all improve our cardiovascular health, frankly, and he'd be setting a good example for the kids.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
This will be a fun thread when it's repeated next year, and the year after that, and the year after that, and the year after that...

The owners love Bettman. They have the only vote that matters.

But they shouldn't, he's not doing enough. And it's not like we havn't heard rumblings that they really aren't all that satisfied before.

One example of him not doing enough, the league itself not doing enough, is the lack of press coverage for something as major as the Stanley Cup Final. I found this article on thefourthperiod.com, that sums up pretty well maybe a good idea of what the NHL should be looking at to increase it's exposure.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/wyshynski070607.html

Unfortunately, there's been no one to tell them.

As the Associated Press reported, out of 21 markets in the U.S. with NHL teams only nine were represented at any of the first three games of the Stanley Cup Finals this season; that includes the Los Angeles market, which had to be there. Most major metropolitan newspapers are covering the Finals with AP game stories and small briefs in their round-up sections, right next to waiver wire transactions and sailing news.

To call this coverage pathetic would be an insult to the last decade of Chicago Blackhawks hockey. No profiles, no notebooks, no inside info from well-schooled beat writers — just the same AP game stories that can be found on AOL Sports five minutes after the game ends. And if one of the stud general sports columnists does find the time to opine about the NHL, it was undoubtedly another boring laundry list about why the league is a broken mess and why the masses are apathetic towards hockey on television. None of them know how to actually break down a series or cover the sport, so they turn the NHL into a puck piñata and start whacking away. We know the score, we've heard it all before...

Does it seem like to anyone else, that the man sits at the top, litterally waiting for issues to come up, to address, instead of being pro active, and solving some of the leagues problems. It just seems to me something as simple as coverage of the sport, doesn't even seem to be a priority. His job is to run the league, and a part of running this league is selling the game. He, more than any other commisioner in pro sports should feel the need to do this, it's should be his life, but it's not. This is why the NHL needs a salesman as a commisioner.

And if everyone thinks this thread should be merged with another, great, lets do it. But stop complaining that it exists. HF boards is here for hockey fans to discuss the sport. And if you don't like a particular subject, just because you feel it's been discussed to death, ignore it, it's pretty simple really.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
But they shouldn't, he's not doing enough. And it's not like we havn't heard rumblings that they really aren't all that satisfied before.
The owners care about what's in their best interests. Going into the lockout, they wanted cost certainty - and Bettman kept them together and helped them get it. The lack of press coverage doesn't mean squat as long as people are still buying tickets, games are selling out, fans are plunking down $160 for jerseys and paying another $40 or so to get it lettered and numbered, and so forth and so on.

In the end, for the group as a whole it's all about revenues - and under Bettman's tenure, they're generating more revenue every year.

Does it seem like to anyone else, that the man sits at the top, literally waiting for issues to come up, to address, instead of being pro active, and solving some of the leagues problems. It just seems to me something as simple as coverage of the sport, doesn't even seem to be a priority. His job is to run the league, and a part of running this league is selling the game. He, more than any other commisioner in pro sports should feel the need to do this, it's should be his life, but it's not. This is why the NHL needs a salesman as a commisioner.
See above.

And if everyone thinks this thread should be merged with another, great, lets do it. But stop complaining that it exists. HF boards is here for hockey fans to discuss the sport. And if you don't like a particular subject, just because you feel it's been discussed to death, ignore it, it's pretty simple really.
I'll decide if/when it gets merged, and I'll also decide the level of discourse I'll allow before I put the hammer down. As long as the discussion stays civil, have at it.

LeafErikson

Schwifty 24/7
Jun 23, 2004
Victoria B.C.
The owners care about what's in their best interests. Going into the lockout, they wanted cost certainty - and Bettman kept them together and helped them get it. The lack of press coverage doesn't mean squat as long as people are still buying tickets, games are selling out, fans are plunking down $160 for jerseys and paying another $40 or so to get it lettered and numbered, and so forth and so on. In the end, for the group as a whole it's all about revenues - and under Bettman's tenure, they're generating more revenue every year.

I'm not arguing that they're not making money, but the owners, who are part to blame, maybe even fully to blame for the situation, should be wanting the most out of their product they can get, which I believe, and I'm sure many other do aswell, Bettman is not getting.

I'll decide if/when it gets merged, and I'll also decide the level of discourse I'll allow before I put the hammer down. As long as the discussion stays civil, have at it.
No reason it can't stay civil, all I'm saying is, avoid the thread, if you do not like the subject.

GSC2k2*

I think Bettman has done extremely well, considering it is well known that he frequently leaves the toilet seat up.

Oh, and he murdered an entire family of Winnipeggers. Twice, in fact.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Ever think that the USA TV situation would be magnitudes worse if there was a Commissioner that was not Bettman?

The NHL has made many changes in the last few years. Shootouts, calling penalties much more strictly but you say Bettman won't address the NHL's problems.

Bettman would get criticized regardless of what he does. The fact that a bunch of hack reporters on Sportsnet think he will get fired is beyond irrelevant to the situation.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So can someone please tell me why a whole NHL season was cancelled again?

Now I don't normally get on a soap box for millionaires and billionaires, especially when the billionaire owner in Buffalo and the somewhat wealthy outgoing owner in Nashville are accepting revenue sharing checks from teams who didn't make the playoffs, but there is a case to be made here.

For instance, the Globe and Mail recently published calculations indicating that the so-called "cap" has risen by $11 million per club in just two seasons. From $39 million to $50.3 million for the upcoming season.

Now given that the players can only get 54 percent of the total league revenues in one season, and given that the NHL's television revenues, the lifeblood of most any successful pro sports league, are abysmal, one has to wonder exactly where all this new money is coming from.

Surely some comes from the never-ending parade of ticket price hikes since the lockout ended, but 30 clubs, $11 million per club, well, you do the math.

OK, too many zeroes. Well, the Globe did it for you and if the teams average just $45 million in salaries for next season, some $5 million below the cap, then the projected league revenue is $1.35 billion for next season.

But here's the kicker: That's pretty much the same amount as the league was taking in before the lockout. The problem with that is the big markets are capped, but still taking in tons of money that goes right into the profit column, but the smaller teams have to spend to a floor that some of them can't afford and still have to deal with a system that allows the bigger market clubs the necessary leeway to pick off the better players with more lucrative deals spread out over longer terms to minimize the cap hit in any one season.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070702_100957_1192

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
^Wow. Very mature response. Did you even read the article?

I did read the article. And yes, apparently someone who has press credentials doesn't like the salary cap. And yes, you quoted him.

When we get to the day and age where everyone agrees on everything, then it will be very interesting indeed.

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
And yes, apparently someone who has press credentials doesn't like the salary cap.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole reason for "cost certainty" was to keep the small markets on an equal playing field as the larger markets?

If I was a fan of Nashville, Buffalo, New Jersey, or the Islanders; I would be pretty upset right now...

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole reason for "cost certainty" was to keep the small markets on an equal playing field as the larger markets?

You're wrong (hey, you asked me to correct you).

No one has ever said that the small markets would be on an equal playing field with the larger markets.

For that to be true, a lot more would be required than a salary cap. Very little can be done about the fact that there are millions of people in New York, for example.

If you want the small markets to be on an equal playing field with the larger markets, then you'd have to put all revenue into a central fund, have the league sign the players and assign them to the individual teams. At that point, the larger markets would have very little incentive to promote the sport. But if you want socialism in the National Hockey League, you're free to get on your soap box about it.

GSC2k2*

^Wow. Very mature response. Did you even read the article?
Double Wow. Were you able to pick out the multiple mistakes in the article, displaying Jim Kelley's utter lack of knowledge of anything related to NHL business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad