It's Bettmans time to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr. Blase

Jun 6, 2007
Ontario
All I know is that many old fans have steadily lost interest in the NHL during Bettman's tenure. As the "leader" Bettman bears the responsibility, just like all the coaches and managers that get fired when teams don't win it all.

GSC2k2*

All I know is that many old fans have steadily lost interest in the NHL during Bettman's tenure. As the "leader" Bettman bears the responsibility, just like all the coaches and managers that get fired when teams don't win it all.
Name those fans.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Just a hunch, but they might be the ones who aren't watching the games in the U.S.

Except the extremely vast majority were NEVER watching the games in the US. The rest changed with the world, so many more options now, especially when it comes to TV. So no.

Not that I think Bettman deserves the full blame, but there is some merit to the "buck stops here" theory.

If by "some merit" you mean "no logical connection whatsoever".

These posts always lack specifics. No more answers of "market better". Specifically, and explicitly, what should Bettman be doing now that he isn't already doing?

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Ok, gs, Ike, and 23 others

If your cable television is out, you probably call to complain. But how often do you call your cable company to let them know that they're doing a great job and that your cable works fine?

The fact is, the collection of people who don't like Bettman is always going to appear much larger than it actually is because the people who think he's doing just fine don't tend to mention it.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
These posts always lack specifics. No more answers of "market better". Specifically, and explicitly, what should Bettman be doing now that he isn't already doing?

As I said before, I don't think he should be excoriated nearly as much as he has been. But I already brought up one thing he could do better to change the perception that nobody watches hockey at all.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=9815350&postcount=50

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg
The fact is, the collection of people who don't like Bettman is always going to appear much larger than it actually is because the people who think he's doing just fine don't tend to mention it.

It is just too bad the last 3 Stanley Cups have been handed out in US cities...

If you think there were a lot of Anaheim fans booing...the fans in Ottawa probably would have been throwing things...

I honestly haven't met a single person living in Canada that likes Bettman (and in my line of work, I meet alot of people). The only "Canadians" I know of that are Bettman cheerleaders are on this particular message board.

If one of you "Canadians" want to post Bettman's praises on the Vancouver Canucks board, go right ahead...I dare you...you will get smoked.

Here is a little sample of what Vancouver fans think of Bettman:
http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=165575&hl=bettman

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
It is just too bad the last 3 Stanley Cups have been handed out in US cities...

If you think there were a lot of Anaheim fans booing...the fans in Ottawa probably would have been throwing things...

I honestly haven't met a single person living in Canada that likes Bettman (and in my line of work, I meet alot of people). The only "Canadians" I know of that are Bettman cheerleaders are on this particular message board.

If one of you "Canadians" want to post Bettman's praises on the Vancouver Canucks board, go right ahead...I dare you...you will get smoked.

Here is a little sample of what Vancouver fans think of Bettman:
http://forum.canucks.com/index.php?showtopic=165575&hl=bettman

It's fitting that you aren't quoting messages properly (and therefore didn't attribute my quote correctly), because you didn't disprove or contradict a single thing I said in my post.

You seem to be good at "appeal to popularity" arguments such as making derogatory nicknames regarding others, however.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
You seem to be good at "appeal to popularity" arguments such as making derogatory nicknames regarding others, however.

One thing defines the haters above all others: they are very fond of their fallacies.

MOENing

Jun 21, 2007
Cam Town
if you don't like him so much then become the comissoner
o thats what i thought
same thing with bush just wait til 2008

BrianSTC

May 23, 2007
Winnipeg

Well, I apologize if you took offense to my "Bettman cheerleader" comment...

No offense intended....I just don't like the guy.

But please don't try to make us believe that Bettman is actually liked by anyone. The fact is, the collection of people who don't like Bettman is much larger than you actually think it is because the people who think he's doing just fine don't exist in Canada...

Last edited:

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I'm not overly fond of Bettman either - but let's at least get the facts right about what he can and can't do instead of holding him personally responsible for every bad thing that's happened over the last 14 years and the crash of the Hindenburg.

GSC2k2*

I'm not overly fond of Bettman either - but let's at least get the facts right about what he can and can't do instead of holding him personally responsible for every bad thing that's happened over the last 14 years and the crash of the Hindenburg.
Sometimes he chews with his mouth open as well.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005

CommentS. Plural. You've called us that on at least three occasions.

And offense is clearly intended, as shown by the context in which you're using it. You want people to dismiss our well-considered comments, and it's easier to do if you have a blanket derogatory name to call us. It's disingenuous to state that no offense was intended.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
But please don't try to make us believe that Bettman is actually liked by anyone. The fact is, the collection of people who don't like Bettman is much larger than you actually think it is because the people who think he's doing just fine don't exist in Canada...

I guess I'm missing your point. Bettman isn't there to win a popularity contest. Honestly WHO CARES if people don't like him. His only solace should be how his bosses, the owners feel about him. Since they just gave him a nice raise, it seems to reason that he's doing OK in their eyes.

GSC2k2*

Are you suggesting I don't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->