Pre-Game Talk: It's a Jakal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Good call, Nilsson with the start :)

Its not a call as such. McLellan has stated its his tendency to run with one automatically. That's problematic when neither guy has been a number 1.

McLellan is showing a few wrinkles I don't like. He'll run players hard till they have nothing left for subsequent games like I stated. This is Eakins caliber player management when doofus had guys like Hall and RNH playing too many minutes. This year its Nuge, Hall, AND Draisaitl. That, unfortunately has its effects and already has with Nuge who only went 16last night again looking completely exhausted.

This is not necessarily sound player management.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Its not a call as such. McLellan has stated its his tendency to run with one automatically. That's problematic when neither guy has been a number 1.

McLellan is showing a few wrinkles I don't like. He'll run players hard till they have nothing left for subsequent games like I stated. This is Eakins caliber player management when doofus had guys like Hall and RNH playing too many minutes. This year its Nuge, Hall, AND Draisaitl. That, unfortunately has its effects and already has with Nuge who only went 16last night again looking completely exhausted.

It is with goalies. You run them while they are hot to keep their mojo going.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

McLellan wants to win hockey games. Nilsson gives him a chance to do that. Talbot in almost all of his recent starts does not.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
McLellan wants to win hockey games. Nilsson gives him a chance to do that. Talbot in almost all of his recent starts does not.

So we just deduce from this that Talbot is incapable of winning NHL games.

Posters before the season started were saying Talbot was a completely capable goalie and quite good.

now he gives us no chance to win games..!?

We got a two goalie lineup inherent here. Not an automatic number 1. If you got Quick in net you ride him because you know he can handle it longterm. With Nillson this is completely unchartered territory starting 3 games every week. The result will inevitably be a game in which he's feeling tired and not feeling it. Meanwhile we have Talbot stone cold.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Posters before the season started were saying Talbot was a completely capable goalie and quite good.

We got a two goalie lineup inherent here. Not an automatic number 1. If you got Quick in net you ride him because you know he can handle it longterm. With Nillson this is completely unchartered territory starting 3 games every week. The result will inevitably be a game in which he's feeling tired and not feeling it. Meanwhile we have Talbot stone cold.

Did you specifically ignore in your deduction where the poster mentioned recent starts? The point ChaoticOrange was trying to make is that Talbot has struggled in his recent starts, Nilsson on the other hand has excelled.

Riding the hot hand is not a foreign concept with goalies. Even backups. Not starting him after he stole us 2 points from Dallas is over managing.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I mean the Sens rode Hammond last year during his hot streak and he was and still is unproven. No one's saying Talbot can't win a game, but with how he's played of late there is very little confidence on the team to start him over Nilsson. He'll get a chance to bounce back, but until Nilsson cools off he won't be getting a lot of chances, and really he shouldn't. He's singlehandedly lost us 4 or 5 games this year that we deserved at least a point in.

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I didn't realize Jujhar (who apparently gets called JJ) is up to 6'4 and 229 pounds. Damn.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I didn't realize Jujhar (who apparently gets called JJ) is up to 6'4 and 229 pounds. Damn.

I didn't either, but I'm not all that surprised. He looks big and strong out there, his skating is quite good for his size and he seems to have enough hockey iq and skill to make plays. I also love how he's not afraid to engage in the physical play and I loved against Boston I think it was where he tried to nail Krug I think it was and just barely missed blowing him up and then McQuaid came over and Jujhar shook his hands asking him to go and McQuaid took the line change instead. Kids not afraid of anything and is exactly the type of bottom 6 player we lack.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton

This is total nonsense! My god man get it together

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011

Cmon replacement you're better than that. These are athletes, not premature kids, you can wear niilsson out by playing him 5 of 6. We need the best chance of winning and he is it, the diminishing returns don't happen for a while longer.

Usually I have your back on these forums but lately, you've been off on some statements. Maybe McLellan needs to have a chat with u lol.

Jk, but seriously, get it together young man

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did you specifically ignore in your deduction where the poster mentioned recent starts? The point ChaoticOrange was trying to make is that Talbot has struggled in his recent starts, Nilsson on the other hand has excelled.

Riding the hot hand is not a foreign concept with goalies. Even backups. Not starting him after he stole us 2 points from Dallas is over managing.

The bolded is a logical fallacy. If Talbot is held to his "recent starts" which have not been bad in anycase, then it follows that he's not getting starts anytime soon, unless Nillson struggles at which time were ****ed.

I guess we've been Oiler fans so long we don't recognize something like that as mismanagement. McLellan is riding Nillson till he falls apart at which time we'll put a stone cold Talbot in and expect him to fare well. Good luck with that when you're not giving the back up a sniff.

I understand coaches go with a hot hand. Is it such a great idea to ride a goalie that has never been a #1 and expect him to pull full weight right away. A goalie that had past health problems which can be exacerbated with undue stress.

There is potential mismanagement in this. Its not as open and shut as it looks. The same McLellan has grossly mismanaged Nuge this season to a degree that is almost as bad as what Eakins was doing last year.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Cmon replacement you're better than that. These are athletes, not premature kids, you can wear niilsson out by playing him 5 of 6. We need the best chance of winning and he is it, the diminishing returns don't happen for a while longer.

Usually I have your back on these forums but lately, you've been off on some statements. Maybe McLellan needs to have a chat with u lol.

Jk, but seriously, get it together young man

I was trying to get behind McLellan but he and his coaching staff are showing some wrinkles. over use of some players, **** poor PP, and about the worst I've ever seen, and with that I watched the 93 Oilers ftr. That PP had the excuse of having zero talent on it. This one has no excuse other than profoundly out of place schemes that don't work to best advantage with this group.

McLellan has actually been silly enough to double up on Drai and Nuge, 2 centers, when we're currently short at Center position in lieu of McDavid injury and Lander being a complete disaster. Explain how that makes sense, or that we're riding 4 forwards on a PP and only 1 D when our D have been our most effective weapons on the PP this year. In a recent game Drai and Nuge played a combined 47mins. Due to doubling up Centers which added to their minutes. Pure insanity.

McLellan lately is losing some of my faith.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
They should call up Brossoit and put him in a game, and rest Nilsson rather than play Talbot. No need to put him in net and absolutely ruin whatever little momentum they've built the last two games.

I've never seen a goalie let in so many goals from behind the goal line like Talbot has. Feel bad for the guy for blowing a huge opportunity to be a starter.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Wow, Carolina, Columbus and the Make Beliefs all win tonight. Oilers back in last.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I've never seen a goalie let in so many goals from behind the goal line like Talbot has. Feel bad for the guy for blowing a huge opportunity to be a starter.

The reality is it was probably around 2-3 shots in total. Which can happen to any goalie and especially any goalie on a new club not trusting his defenders on a club. Which would not exactly be a paranoid impression for Talbot to have.

Look, obviously Nillson has been better. But collective opinion is about one month removed from thinking Talbot was going to be the number 1.

its just a little extreme, just my impression, to now hear things like we can only win with Nillson based on Talbots "recent play".

Whatever happened to Talbots highly lauded play in NY that I was hearing about all summer. Frankly I feel strange defending him because his most vocal supporters have disappeared.

meh, theres so much swing in imo here. We all do it, probably a product of following the Oilers up and downs is we're all sorta yo-yo's. ;)

I mean well with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad