Pre-Game Talk: It's a Jakal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 10, 2015
When I originally bought tickets for this game I was excited that it would be (I thought) the first meeting of Reinhart brothers in the NHL (I didn't verify that they hadn't actually met up yet, but in the limited number of games they had all played before this season, I thought it was a safe guess :D ). I'm still excited to see Sam play (as I would have been excited if Buffalo had passed on Reinhart last year at #2 and allowed Edmonton to take him at #3.....And I have been as excited as anyone by Leon's play, don't get me wrong).

Now that Griffin is down in Bakersfield, it's not nearly as exciting a matchup (kinda like McDavid versus Eichel, someday it will be a great matchup....but not Sunday :D ).

Still looking forward to my first live Oiler game in 17 years though!! Go Oil (and Sam).

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Who gets the start on Sunday?

Another cool matchup (Connor vs Jack) that will be delayed due to McDavids injury.

Vancouver and Arizona are struggling.

#HereComesTheOilers

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Another cool matchup (Connor vs Jack) that will be delayed due to McDavids injury.

#HereComesTheOilers

Is it me or is it weird to see that hashtag used non-sarcastically?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Hilarious that the Oilers are still in the playoff race.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hilarious that the Oilers are still in the playoff race.

I kinda said this the other day. We go on a 4-5 game win streak or go 7-3-0 and we are back in it.

There is a reason to look at upgrading this team this year if you can. Instead of the normal lets throw the towel in at x-mas and pray for 1st overall. Be nice to try ride some momentum into next season and maybe for once have a training camp where we are working on what's in place, not learning a whole new system with a lot of new guys.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
There's no way a pacific team is gonna get a wildcard spot this year. Unless you meant that the wildcard makes it easier to get into 3rd...?

It's not like the central is doing that **** hot right now either. Dallas and Chicago or doing well, but all the other teams are just average. As much credit as the central gets every team in that division has some very big question marks and could go either way depending on who can step up.

Right now it appears the Eastern teams are the ones that are riding some pretty good streaks.

Try get the ground we can, because that can all change quickly

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
On a little streak, Hall back on the scoresheet, Eberle starting to find his way, Nilsson being a beast, 3rd line contributed 2 games ago :)

4 more in a row.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary

#HereComesTheOilers
The Oilers have more wins than the Canucks :laugh:

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Hopefully Talbot gets the start. I don't want Nilsson to get burnt out. He has been working insanely hard.

We have a 2 day break after tomorrow. That would be 5 days off for Nilsson if he doesnt get the start. Im not sure that works to his favor right now. Play him while hes hot. Time to rest after the next game.

Mcnofool6110

Re-defining Rock Bottom since '07
Dec 7, 2011
Sydney
Tank bros. for life!!! But I hope we blow them out. Jujhar with one of his highlight reel backhands. We'll be good

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hopefully Talbot gets the start. I don't want Nilsson to get burnt out. He has been working insanely hard.
Agreed. Nillson really applying himself right now and establishing game but I would prefer if we didn't keep putting him away wet. He's just played two 65min games and one shootout in which he saw a ton of action. He's done his work. Time for Talbot to do some lifting.

We have a 2 day break after tomorrow. That would be 5 days off for Nilsson if he doesnt get the start. Im not sure that works to his favor right now. Play him while hes hot. Time to rest after the next game.

I'm not certain Nillson is a goalie you want to do the "run while he's hot" thing indefinitely to. He's seen a lot of pucks in the last month. He has had health conditions in the past that afaik are gastrointestinal. That are subject to dietary and stress impacts. From what has been reported he's not experiencing symptoms but why risk it. The Oilers have a tendency to overuse players and then get less from them down the road.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I agree , Talbot has been pretty weak as of late after having such a hot start. If there was an offence he should face it's buffalos .

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
They should call up Brossoit and put him in a game, and rest Nilsson rather than play Talbot. No need to put him in net and absolutely ruin whatever little momentum they've built the last two games.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Agreed. Nillson really applying himself right now and establishing game but I would prefer if we didn't keep putting him away wet. He's just played two 65min games and one shootout in which he saw a ton of action. He's done his work. Time for Talbot to do some lifting.

I'm not certain Nillson is a goalie you want to do the "run while he's hot" thing indefinitely to. He's seen a lot of pucks in the last month. He has had health conditions in the past that afaik are gastrointestinal. That are subject to dietary and stress impacts. From what has been reported he's not experiencing symptoms but why risk it. The Oilers have a tendency to overuse players and then get less from them down the road.

Well lets find out. Hes showing us right now he can handle it.

space321

May 11, 2011
It's not like the central is doing that **** hot right now either. Dallas and Chicago or doing well, but all the other teams are just average. As much credit as the central gets every team in that division has some very big question marks and could go either way depending on who can step up.

Right now it appears the Eastern teams are the ones that are riding some pretty good streaks.

Try get the ground we can, because that can all change quickly

The 5th place team in the central would be second in the pacific. I'd like to see the Oilers make the playoff but it won't be at the expense of a central team for the wildcard. Vancouver is hot garbage, and there's no garuantee the Ducks can pick up their game consistently. Arizona is all over the place, I'd say our way of getting into the playoffs is taking the 3rd pacific spot. Do you honestly think we can play better than one of Minny/Nashville/Chicago/Winnipeg?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Well lets find out. Hes showing us right now he can handle it.

Theres a risk to that. Its like playing too many hands at the crap table. Sometimes know when to go to another table or go home.

The dilemma is that to ride a winning table feels great at the time, and you want to continue indefinitely. The trouble is what if it goes cold. I would rather put Nillson away a game here or there and keep him fresh than overwhelm him with nonstop starts and see a crash.

The question you have to ask is the goalies form resiient enough to experience another bad game like the Caps game? It took 2 weeks before he came back to the table after that one. I would rather we not have him for 1,2 games at a time then half a dozen games.

Lets remember that neither of these guys are starters and they are not used to this. The Oilers way, sadly, is to overwhelm players at the first thought that they can handle it. Right now we're riding Drai like theres no tomorrow as well.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
This is going to be an incredibly boring trade deadline this year with only CAR, BUF, TOR, CAL, and VAN as the only sellers :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad