Pre-Game Talk: It's a Jakal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crobby

Sep 14, 2009
Literally every goalie in history who ever buckled under the pressure of going from backup to starter in the NHL, has at some point proven themselves to be a good starting goaltender at a lower level.

My point was that he played a lot of hockey last year. I didn't get into actual stats because I realize it's a different level of play. People were concerned he would be tired. I think he can handle the workload.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
But isn't that the misnomer. If we had talent we would be a good team. We don't, people should stop talking about these players as being skilled because of good body nonsense. Just because they look good while stick handling doesn't mean squat. I thought Robbie Schremp if anything taught us that. This team has a hand full of decent players and that's it. You need to ask yourself if it's the coaches plan that blows or a lack of player execution. We've had a boat load of coaches that couldn't get squat out of these players. Ask yourself what the common variable in this mess is.

Yeah, I get all that.

However, it's pretty easy to see what they're 'attempting' to do. Just because they can't (whether it's because they don't have the proper 'skill') is irrelevant to my point. The system for zone entry they are trying to implement sucks. It simply isn't working because it's a lousy system.

As well, they have the ability to play a typical 3-2 system but it isn't even being tried. That's on the coach. Would it work? Don't know but how can it be worse than what they're trying now?

ScrillaVilla

Sep 22, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah, I get all that.

However, it's pretty easy to see what they're 'attempting' to do. Just because they can't (whether it's because they don't have the proper 'skill') is irrelevant to my point. The system for zone entry they are trying to implement sucks. It simply isn't working because it's a lousy system.

As well, they have the ability to play a typical 3-2 system but it isn't even being tried. That's on the coach. Would it work? Don't know but how can it be worse than what they're trying now?

Again that's an assumption. You don't know the system is flawed or "lousy" because you've had only one group of players attempt to implement it. If another group of players can do it than it's not a system issue its a player issue. You might say it's not a good fit for this team for whatever reason but I highly doubt our coach is stupid enough to sit their trying to force a square peg through a round hole. Their must be reasons or rationale behind their behaviour and I still feel it comes down to poor execution not a poor system.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
His health issues are no secret. B12 vitamin deficiency which can affect your muscles, give you fatigue and a whole lot of other nasty things.

The good news is that you take one pill, or one injection, a month and it is all gone.

This is inaccurate.

I have a significant gastrointestinal condition as well which Nillson reportedly has. Notice I use the word has. Such conditions are not cured as such they are in remission with a combination of dietary, lifestyle, and supplements. it takes absolute dedication to purpose to even minimize the conditions. Virtually any significant gastrointestinal condition I am aware of is exacerbated by stress. You can be doing all parts of your regimen faithfully and still suffer ill effects and relapse due to stress. Millions of people suffer though conditions like this fairly silently.

To say that a significant GI condition is just treated with B12 is so off the mark. That's just the start of it. The likely REASON he would be deficient in B12 (and probably multiple other vitamins and minerals) is due to the gastrointestinal condition not allowing proper uptake of nutrients from the consumed diet. Again you can be eating all the ideal foods and not have uptake. Many people have profound difficulty even uptaking vitamins from supplements. Sometimes extensive work has to be done replenishing/reconstituting gastrointestinal flora/bacteria to even approximate normative digestion.

Stress is a major kick in the nuts for almost anybody with a wide range of diagnosed gastrointestinal conditions. Get overwhelmed with stress and relapse is all but guaranteed. I would say particularly in a patient experiencing vitamin B types of uptake difficulty as components of vitamin B can help in alleviating stress, anxiety, and depression.

ps and I can't even eat a snickers bar if I wanted to, which explains sooooo much..;)

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
We are 3-1-1 in the lat 5 yikes. What he is doing is working.

We've deserved to lose every one of those games. Nillson has been very good. Its certainly not that our schemes or D are working. Are EV play is not up to snuff, our PP is worse. We seriously lack puck possession in these games. We have basically one line going in the last dozen games. We're trying to kickstart the rest. We're not scoring goals and not giving goalies any "run support" to work with. For a goalie that's a very tough situation knowing that allowing even 3 goals is probably a loss.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We've deserved to lose every one of those games. Nillson has been very good. Its certainly not that our schemes or D are working. Are EV play is not up to snuff, our PP is worse. We seriously lack puck possession in these games. We have basically one line going in the last dozen games. We're trying to kickstart the rest. We're not scoring goals and not giving goalies any "run support" to work with. For a goalie that's a very tough situation knowing that allowing even 3 goals is probably a loss.

Like TM said, we deserved to win a lot more games then we lost earlier. It all evens out over 82 games.

Lots of teams win on good goaltending. We just arent used to it with this team.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
The thing I've noticed about our pp is that the opposing team plays us VERY aggressively. And besides drai, we don't really have anyone who can consistently win the board battles and we end up fumbling passes and can't get set up properly due to this pressure. This is where I feel like with the current system, we need bigger bodies. Just commenting on what I see, not whether or not I think our current pp setup is good or bad, just that other teams know we are physically not capable of winning battles for the most part

Sensible systems are catered to personnel the org has at hand. You don't substantially revisit your roster in order to cater to systems employed.

System efficacy is about structuring systems that benefit the players you have on a roster.

This coaching staff to this point is pounding square pegs in round holes. Its tough to watch that. It is most pronounced on zone entries. You can see the players have very little faith in the schemes either. What will occur ultimately is reversion where players almost intently start evading the schemes they know are not working. At which point this team reverts to playing disjointed system less hockey.

No sensible system should be taking 30 games to implement.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Yeah, I get all that.

after a quarter season, with again, brand new coach and staff.. people are already resorting to questioning the coaches, the systems… you're assuming, given what you've seen as a fan - whether at the games or watching on TV, maybe some limited playing/coaching experience in your life, that there is a better method, a better philosophy to be implemented than the one being used right now by a fresh set of eyes, a brand new coaching staff. That has had plenty of success in the past. That has seen the players in action in practice, in game, evaluated individual skill, strengths and weaknesses of everyone on the active roster.

Not to say coaching criticisms aren't warranted because this is a message board after all. But don't latch onto this sort of thinking for too long and let it consume you. Because it's still early.

IMO, their breakouts have improved greatly along with their defensive coverages, from years past. Which isn't saying much necessarily because they're still at the bottom of the heap but I think anyone here with a shred of sensibility realizes the team is playing better, despite the disappointments.

The team isn't as good as you think it is perhaps. The players aren't as good or as skilled as you think perhaps. I think this should be pretty obvious by now that having all these supposedly very good to great young players with upside is not a recipe for success. And injuries have been/are a valid concern as well.

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

goes through stretches. lost a bunch of games they probably deserved to win or at least get a point out of. won a few games that probably should've ended up with an L, could of gone either way. It's a long season. Players and coaches are still getting used to each other, and the talent on the roster isn't as good as people would like to believe.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Like TM said, we deserved to win a lot more games then we lost earlier. It all evens out over 82 games.

Lots of teams win on good goaltending. We just arent used to it with this team.

Which is different than saying the coaching schemes are working. As a test to anybody try to watch any 60mins of this team playing on the PP. If someone forced you to watch a contiguous 60 mins of that you would be throwing things at the screen. :D

Nowhere is coaching more evident than in special teams play.

Now this is not to say for an instant I want a new headcoach. I'm almost never about that (exception idiot Eakins) But what I want is a McLellan that starts assessing a little more what is, and isn't working. Frankly I'm expecting more adaptability and adroit decisions from a veteran coach. He's made a lot of mistakes from own admission. Woodcroft? I have limited to no faith in him. SJ PP was good because of personnel. Not because of how it was coached.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Which is different than saying the coaching schemes are working. As a test to anybody try to watch any 60mins of this team playing on the PP. If someone forced you to watch a contiguous 60 mins of that you would be throwing things at the screen. :D

Nowhere is coaching more evident than in special teams play.

Now this is not to say for an instant I want a new headcoach. I'm almost never about that (exception idiot Eakins) But what I want is a McLellan that starts assessing a little more what is, and isn't working. Frankly I'm expecting more adaptability and adroit decisions from a veteran coach. He's made a lot of mistakes from own admission. Woodcroft? I have limited to no faith in him. SJ PP was good because of personnel. Not because of how it was coached.

Yeah, to be fair though TM hasnt had his full lineup ever this season. It has been a experiment ever since. I think thats why in my opinion.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I agree the PP is a concern, they need to at the very least split RNH and Draisaitl onto separate units. Thing is though, they have no one outside of… maybe Eberle? who can snipe it. Hall is essentially the garbage man at the corners when he shouldn't have to be. Not many (if any) quality utility players, and not a lot of hockey sense. No big shot from the point either, or anyone who wants to attempt shooting anyways. The players get to caught up in making extra passes and trying to be pretty, and there's little creativity. It's a combination of player execution and poor individual decision making. 50/50 split IMO.

McDeathbyCheerios*

This is inaccurate.

I have a significant gastrointestinal condition as well which Nillson reportedly has. Notice I use the word has. Such conditions are not cured as such they are in remission with a combination of dietary, lifestyle, and supplements. it takes absolute dedication to purpose to even minimize the conditions. Virtually any significant gastrointestinal condition I am aware of is exacerbated by stress. You can be doing all parts of your regimen faithfully and still suffer ill effects and relapse due to stress. Millions of people suffer though conditions like this fairly silently.

To say that a significant GI condition is just treated with B12 is so off the mark. That's just the start of it. The likely REASON he would be deficient in B12 (and probably multiple other vitamins and minerals) is due to the gastrointestinal condition not allowing proper uptake of nutrients from the consumed diet. Again you can be eating all the ideal foods and not have uptake. Many people have profound difficulty even uptaking vitamins from supplements. Sometimes extensive work has to be done replenishing/reconstituting gastrointestinal flora/bacteria to even approximate normative digestion.

Stress is a major kick in the nuts for almost anybody with a wide range of diagnosed gastrointestinal conditions. Get overwhelmed with stress and relapse is all but guaranteed. I would say particularly in a patient experiencing vitamin B types of uptake difficulty as components of vitamin B can help in alleviating stress, anxiety, and depression.

ps and I can't even eat a snickers bar if I wanted to, which explains sooooo much..;)
There are a multitude of reasons he could have a deficiency. If he is a vegan or vegetarian it could lead to a deficiency.

There is a form of anemia that makes it hard for your body to absorb it.

He could be celiac as well which can be a huge cause for it as well.

If it was something that stress would flair then last year in the KHL he would of struggled or he would quit his job as a goalie for health reasons.

I have yet to see something say it was GI for him. Everything I have seen has either said B12 or celiac disease.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I agree the PP is a concern, they need to at the very least split RNH and Draisaitl onto separate units. Thing is though, they have no one outside of… maybe Eberle? who can snipe it. Hall is essentially the garbage man at the corners when he shouldn't have to be. Not many (if any) quality utility players, and not a lot of hockey sense. No big shot from the point either, or anyone who wants to attempt shooting anyways. The players get to caught up in making extra passes and trying to be pretty, and there's little creativity. It's a combination of player execution and poor individual decision making. 50/50 split IMO.

Like I've been saying we have 5 defenceman on this team that can possess the puck well on the PP and score goals. We actually currently have a wealth of offensive D and a dearth of offensive forwards (due to injuries) we are compounding that with a 4 forward 1D PP. Why?

You couldn't find a lineup where going with a standard 3-2 PP makes much more sense.

As an org we specifically have been recruiting offensively talented D and we have schemes that are not using them to best effect.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Like I've been saying we have 5 defenceman on this team that can possess the puck well on the PP and score goals. We actually currently have a wealth of offensive D and a dearth of offensive forwards (due to injuries) we are compounding that with a 4 forward 1D PP. Why?

You couldn't find a lineup where going with a standard 3-2 PP makes much more sense.

As an org we specifically have been recruiting offensively talented D and we have schemes that are not using them to best effect.

My issues with the PP is their dump and chase. The past games have shown an abundance of it. What happens when they dump it in? Forwards try to forecheck and pressure the opposing PK against the boards, but the PK players easily flip the puck out. I also don't know why Schultz is on the first PP instead of Klefbom. Klefbom is superior than Schultz is. Schultz weak ass slappers make me cringe. I was chuckling seeing Schultz trip himself right after he shot the puck on the blueline during the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad