Its a Good Time to Be a Coyotes Fan

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If you open a beautiful restaurant, in an awful location, and sell disgusting food that gets terrible reviews, it isn't the fault of the customers that they aren't showing up to give you their money.

Exactly!. But, if it changes ownership and starts to sell excellent food and gets good reviews you owe it to yourself and the new owners to give it another shot.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What an intolerant lot we have here. The problem isn't any lack of commitment by Coyotes fans. The problem is the abject failure to grow the fan base.

I consider this due to a combination of civic and team incompetence, and Canadian malevolence.

In most cases I would agree with you, but IA bought the team two years ago. Why do we always harp on the last ten years? What is done is done. We can't see the forest for the trees. We are slowly building a pretty good team here, but patience will be key.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The posters on F40 should not be the ones receiving the criticism.

Just think that should be made crystal clear.

If you are a armchair GM and can not afford tickets I understand,and there is nothing wrong with watching on TV, but if the teams moves because of poor attendance don't come on here and blame ownership, it will all be on the lack of fan support.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There is a very easy way to shut the Canadians up. Excuses prove nothing, actions are what speak and actions aren't supporting the theories on here. Fans are not coming to the games, no matter what excuse is used.

Who cares what the Canadians say. Most have a chip on their shoulders about the USA, but I really don't care. I'm a Canadian and I only care what happens here with this team, not what some big mouth yappy sport journalist, or a bunch of know it all's on BOH say. I think we have something special going on with this team and we should do all we can to help support it.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If you are a armchair GM and can not afford tickets I understand,and there is nothing wrong with watching on TV, but if the teams moves because of poor attendance don't come on here and blame ownership, it will all be on the lack of fan support.

What I meant by my post is that you are criticizing the wrong group of people. The people who post here are the hardest-core of the fanbase. Tying "lack of fan support" to the posters here is like a restaurant owner pissing in the soup of his few remaining patrons because he doesn't like his bottom line.

As for the team moving, the only possible people to blame will be the owners. Period. End of story. The decision literally cannot be made by anyone else.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What I meant by my post is that you are criticizing the wrong group of people. The people who post here are the hardest-core of the fanbase. Tying "lack of fan support" to the posters here is like a restaurant owner pissing in the soup of his few remaining patrons because he doesn't like his bottom line.

As for the team moving, the only possible people to blame will be the owners. Period. End of story. The decision literally cannot be made by anyone else.

This is all a moot point anyway, as the team is not leaving.:nod:
I can' wait for training camp and the start of the season, driving to Tucson for a weekend game watching all these young kids. I really don't think the people of Arizona are grasping the Coyote bandwagon the way they should, it will be a fun ride.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

I would not blame Ice Arizona at all. They've took on a huge risk, a team that not many would want to own and have invested a lot into the team. They're trying to make it work here. If the team moves I think they would be just as disappointed as any fan would be.

If they wanted to move the team, they could've done that already. If the team does move it won't be because they chose to, it will be because they didn't have any other option.

And really it looks we're going to get a new arena and have real stability here. The future is bright and it really is a good time to be a Coyotes fan.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I really don't think the people of Arizona are grasping the Coyote bandwagon the way they should...

Of course they haven't. Nothing the team has shown on the ice since 2012 has given them reason to. What we invest in potential and futures and how the team looks on paper doesn't make a dent at all in the grand scheme of things. If the team starts to win and find a way to banish the threat of moving vans for good, the support will come.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It wasn't my post, just my answer to other poster blaming Canadians for lack of attendance success.
Who cares what the Canadians say. Most have a chip on their shoulders about the USA, but I really don't care. I'm a Canadian and I only care what happens here with this team, not what some big mouth yappy sport journalist, or a bunch of know it all's on BOH say. I think we have something special going on with this team and we should do all we can to help support it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would not blame Ice Arizona at all. They've took on a huge risk, a team that not many would want to own and have invested a lot into the team. They're trying to make it work here. If the team moves I think they would be just as disappointed as any fan would be.

If they wanted to move the team, they could've done that already. If the team does move it won't be because they chose to, it will be because they didn't have any other option.

And really it looks we're going to get a new arena and have real stability here. The future is bright and it really is a good time to be a Coyotes fan.

Yup. AL has said a million time the team is not moving, but most just don't believe him. Maybe because of the last ten years, but regardless, IA deserves a chance, and that involves commitment from many.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of course they haven't. Nothing the team has shown on the ice since 2012 has given them reason to. What we invest in potential and futures and how the team looks on paper doesn't make a dent at all in the grand scheme of things. If the team starts to win and find a way to banish the threat of moving vans for good, the support will come.

What? Look at the last two years and all the positives. Stop looking in the mirror, and look ahead.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

I don't think people understand this. They think an arena deal is magical wizardry that does not involve a significant amount of responsibility for funding on the part of ownership. If an arena doesn't materialize, surely it must be the fault of the market, not under-capitalized ownership.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What? Look at the last two years and all the positives. Stop looking in the mirror, and look ahead.

The last two years we finished with the third- and seventh-worst records in the league, respectively. That's all that matters to people who aren't hardcore fans. What you and I believe about the prospect players, the future of the team, and possibilities of new players and coaches and so forth means nothing to the market. Arizona sees the Coyotes and sees a bad sports team.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think people understand this. They think an arena deal is magical wizardry that does not involve a significant amount of responsibility for funding on the part of ownership. If an arena doesn't materialize, surely it must be the fault of the market, not under-capitalized ownership.

And when it does materialize, what will be your excuse then? Who will you point fingers at then? Coaches? FO? Scouts? Weather?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
And when it does materialize, what will be your excuse then? Who will you point fingers at then? Coaches? FO? Scouts? Weather?

That's been the whole point of this thread. IF an arena materializes and is actually built, then we can break out the champagne and celebrate.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Yup. AL has said a million time the team is not moving, but most just don't believe him. Maybe because of the last ten years, but regardless, IA deserves a chance, and that involves commitment from many.

Also Goligoski made it quite clear the team is staying here with his comments and decision to sign a long term deal here. And he has received way more information than anybody on here has.

Everybody knows that arenas cost a lot of money to build.....

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The last two years we finished with the third- and seventh-worst records in the league, respectively. That's all that matters to people who aren't hardcore fans. What you and I believe about the prospect players, the future of the team, and possibilities of new players and coaches and so forth means nothing to the market. Arizona sees the Coyotes and sees a bad sports team.

We are rebuilding and I think most fans realize this but do not understand what it means.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
That's been the whole point of this thread. IF an arena materializes and is actually built, then we can break out the champagne and celebrate.

I still doubt that everybody would be happy. There will still be some people who will claim IA are scam artists, don't have money, the deal will fall through, they'll be kicked out again, they're just waiting for Seattle to get an arena to move there.......

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

And in the meantime you will set on your duff and b---- and moan and point fingers. That sure in hell won't help things. Go to a game with family and friends and enjoy yourself. Good times a coming.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just another excuse. What has happened the last ten years sure as hell has not helped that is for sure, and it was hard to buy tickets knowing what kind of team you had and the chances of winning small, but what has happened the last two years should be enough to at least buy a few tickets for the year. I mean, we all go out to dinner at some nice restaurant not knowing if you will like your meal, and we don't bat an eyelash at the tab when it comes. We have been use to such low expectations because of the NHL ownership etc. etc. As far as I'm concerned be have stable, ownership, and what they have done since buying the team proves this. This team with it's prospects, FO, scouts, coaches etc. have done a wonderful job the last two years, but all I hear is "we won't support the team until they have a building". The same BS about the building could be said about the Suns as their lease expires in a few years, or even the DBacks and their fight with Phoenix. As far as I'm concerned, what happens happens, I just know when I go to games this year I will enter that building with excitement because of our on ice product, and I will have fun.

I see you carefully avoided addressing the impact the bankruptcy and potential relocation had on attendance. Even making the Western Conference Finals three years later didn't bring the numbers back to the first two they spent in Glendale. So what will you lay that off on?

It doesn't matter how stable you think the ownership is. The facts say otherwise. IA needed Glendale's help to even get in the door to begin with. Then commit a huge blunder that cost them their annual allowance. A truly stable ownership would not need to be searching for exotic ways to pry money from the taxpaying public to help cover their operating bills.

I got Sniper''s original point. It had nothing to do with "support" of this team. He and I are just as excited about the potential for this team as the next guy. But at the same time we aren't going to delude ourselves into believing it's going to all roses and candy canes until IA can actually show that they have a permanent home for this franchise to play in.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I still doubt that everybody would be happy. There will still be some people who will claim IA are scam artists, don't have money, the deal will fall through, they'll be kicked out again, they're just waiting for Seattle to get an arena to move there.......

Well, they aren't complete idiots. They bought an undervalued franchise and have converted that into free ownership of half a franchise. That's pretty good return. Regardless they still aren't capable of breaking even without massive subsidies. They actually managed to get that subsidy and then frittered it away in a complete lapse of judgement. They can either find a new form of subsidy or move to a different market and further enhance their investment. I'm not sure what oppurtunity for that subsidy exists.
I won't blame them if they move. The team is an investment. They're free to maximize that investment as they see fit -- but I also don't trust them farther than I could throw Anthony LeBlanc. There's a difference between creative marketing and simply assuming noone is smart enough to see through your miracle elixirs made of watered down whisky. When you lie so often and so easily, it makes it difficult for me to believe any good news they hint at. Just show me.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Not religious enough for you? They are most certainly fans but don't believe that being a fan means turning a blind eye to what's been going on. They are fans, just not as blindly religious about it as you. To each their own and you can't judge them by your own standards.

No religion, or judgement, just facts. A fan loves the game and supports the game, particularly if they have an interest in keeping the game within arms reach.

It's all quite simple: Building? Check. Team? Check?

Support and keep????

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Measuring relative fanhood is a sure sign of an insecure person. As if the Coyotes of all teams are in any position to care about the degree of support they get or where it may come from.

:laugh: I think you'd be hard pressed to find a more secure person than myself.

As for your second sentence? Yet again you make no sense.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
In my opinion the team is not moving, but if you think they are that is still no reason to support them while here. How you spend you entertainment dollar is your preference, but don't complain if they move because of attendance. You are saying they need a building before people buy in, well, where were the fans ten years ago when they signed a long term deal with Glendale? . Buying tickets for this team now will greatly help the team financially which in turn looks better on the bottom line and easier to get financing or investors. Everything we as fans helps, and that includes going to games, buying merchandise etc.

Absolutely.

Where were the fans for the regular season when we were making the playoffs?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad