Post-Game Talk: It's A Game Of Inches....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Getting really tired of JVR not trying. This isn't him recovering from his injury, he played like this before he got hurt. He's played like this for years.

It just might be why the Flyers traded him to us!

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
My advice to the younger/inexperienced fans: Don't expect playoffs. Get playoffs out of your head entirely. Seems to be a lot of you completely freaking out over something small. This is the youngest team in the league and we don't even look all that bad. We've gotten 4 out of 8 potential points and things look like they can even improve in the very short-term.

Sometimes you lose games that look win-able. And sometimes you win games you should have lost. But all-in-all, it's a HUGE stretch to expect playoffs with this very young team.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
My advice to the younger/inexperienced fans: Don't expect playoffs. Get playoffs out of your head entirely. Seems to be a lot of you completely freaking out over something small. This is the youngest team in the league and we don't even look all that bad. We've gotten 4 out of 8 potential points and things look like they can even improve in the very short-term.

Sometimes you lose games that look win-able. And sometimes you win games you should have lost. But all-in-all, it's a HUGE stretch to expect playoffs with this very young team.

:handclap: Agreed... this wasn't supposed to be a playoff team. We are still in the pain mode. Enjoy the growth of our young players, and all of the exciting prospects in junior and the AHL. This is fun times, success will come in a few years.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think there are only 2 players (Maybe also Kadri) on the current leafs that can handle Marners crazy creativity unfortunately that means a Marner-Mattews-Nylander line. to reach his full potential he needs players that think "oh he might pass this through 3 pairs of legs to me here better be ready" I don't think Bozak has that hockey sense and JVR is sort of net front presence as opposed to tic tac passing.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Such a young Team and they are in every game so far, all close. Some people here really should get a life.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
I think there are only 2 players (Maybe also Kadri) on the current leafs that can handle Marners crazy creativity unfortunately that means a Marner-Mattews-Nylander line. to reach his full potential he needs players that think "oh he might pass this through 3 pairs of legs to me here better be ready" I don't think Bozak has that hockey sense and JVR is sort of net front presence as opposed to tic tac passing.

Gotta wait for Kapanen and a few others to emerge from the minors. Not all of our skilled prospects will make it but the sheer. Plume we have we should hopefully get at least two top six calibre players from our stable.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

the losses have nothing to do with being young, everything to do with goaltending.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
the losses have nothing to do with being young, everything to do with goaltending.

I agree. It's disappointing to see the level of intensity that some vets are playing with (JVR/Bozak/Hunwick etc...).

Like it or not shifting lines around at this point would be difficult. Komo/Kadri/Michalek is a thing because we don't really have any other options as far as putting together a line that can match up with opposing teams top lines. It's not so much that Marner wouldn't be good enough defensively to be on that line, it's just that he would be going up against far better players which might not be the best thing. JVR and Bozak need to get their **** together and help the kid out.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I agree. It's disappointing to see the level of intensity that some vets are playing with (JVR/Bozak/Hunwick etc...).

Like it or not shifting lines around at this point would be difficult. Komo/Kadri/Michalek is a thing because we don't really have any other options as far as putting together a line that can match up with opposing teams top lines. It's not so much that Marner wouldn't be good enough defensively to be on that line, it's just that he would be going up against far better players which might not be the best thing. JVR and Bozak need to get their **** together and help the kid out.

How can they when they have been a part of the same losing for years? They are vets yes, but they have about the same experience in winning as the rookies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It does make you laugh though doesn't?

Matthews, Nylander and Marner come out in Star form, and guys like Bozak, JVR and Komarov have been sluggish.

Heck, I'd rather see Matt Martin playing over Komarov.

But again, it's game 4. I don't really like to judge fully until about week 4

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
It does make you laugh though doesn't?

Matthews, Nylander and Marner come out in Star form, and guys like Bozak, JVR and Komarov have been sluggish.

Heck, I'd rather see Matt Martin playing over Komarov.

But again, it's game 4. I don't really like to judge fully until about week 4

Add Gardiner to the list.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
How can they when they have been a part of the same losing for years? They are vets yes, but they have about the same experience in winning as the rookies.

That's not exactly the point.

JVR is so god damn inconsistent. Probably streakier than Kessel ever was. When he's hot he's a damn good player, when he's cold he's god damn useless. I've always had a problem with Bozak's lack of intensity and unwillingness to engage. Neither of these players are willing to get down low and retrieve pucks. Marner NEEDS someone to do this for him so he can be effective.

We've seen both of these players play much better than they currently are, if they can get back to playing that way Marner will be racking up points like nothing.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015

JVR is so god damn inconsistent. Probably streakier than Kessel ever was. When he's hot he's a damn good player, when he's cold he's god damn useless. I've always had a problem with Bozak's lack of intensity and unwillingness to engage. Neither of these players are willing to get down low and retrieve pucks. Marner NEEDS someone to do this for him so he can be effective.

We've seen both of these players play much better than they currently are, if they can get back to playing that way Marner will be racking up points like nothing.

That is a problem with line combinations then not the players themselves necessarily. Bozak and JVR and not puck retrieval players. Maybe Marner needs to be on a line with someone like Hyman? I'd love to see Brown get into the top 3 lines, I think his hard working and great hockey IQ would help the big 3 so much. Have Brown with Marner maybe and keep Hyman with Matthews/Nylander. Can brown play LW?

If not:

Komarov-Kadri-Brown
Hyamn-Matthews-Nylander
JVR-BOZAK-MARNER
Martin-Holland-MM

I think the vets will come around, they just all look like they are out of shape.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
100% been better than Gardiner no doubt, and you can make a case about Rielly (Rielly probably just ahead) sure he aint all smooth pinches and rushes but that the point, Easily our best defenceman at defending which is kind of important

3 game sample, bit early to declare him better than a proven player, but I do agree he has been better than Gards so far.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

I thought Bozak was fore checking pretty good last night and wasn't afraid to get physical, probably the best he has looked this year.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
3 game sample, bit early to declare him better than a proven player, but I do agree he has been better than Gards so far.

all we have is a 3 game sample. But he does have 7 years KHL experience at least 2 all start games there, I realize big ice etc. But you are right 15-20 more games at this level I think you can say Zaitsev is the better player

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
I don't watch tsn or listen to sports radio. What are they saying? Are they trashing this team, prospects or management? I wasn't expecting playoffs this year. Nobody should. Shannahan there was no timeline for the rebuild to end and that's all I need to hear. The team is in good hands and will slowly improve.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
I thought it was a good game. Do some of you really think we have a team of superstars or what? I really for the life of me can't understand why some are so mad? JVR really hasn't played for almost a year, he is a bit rusty but he is in the game and far from useless. And never has he been a wrecking bar type of player so stop putting that out there its getting tiring.

I really don't expect them to gel as a team until the 30 game point. After that point we can look around see what we've got and see what we need. We were in last place last year for ****s sakes!

I would like to see Holland and Bozak switch spots for now to balance those 2 lines.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Despite some tough losses, I am very satisfied with what I saw in the first 4 games of the season. All the games were very close and exciting, the kids played very well for the most part. They will learn, they will get better and that's what this season is about. Let's just enjoy this ride guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad