Post-Game Talk: It's A Game Of Inches....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisinroch

Jan 5, 2013
The Golden Triangle
Wild fan here

Leafs pass the eye test in my one game sample. Moved the puck extremely well and those forwards created physical matchup problems for the wild D. Add a defenseman and you guys are gonna be a tough team to play against.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's also asking the Leafs to completely overpay out of desperation.

This is the absolute worst time to look for big time upgrades. Don't think you get more than a minor/average trade at this point.

The only trades that could be had, are Anahiem and Winnipeg... and I don't think Winnipeg is in a rush to make a move. Anahiem... they might have a bit more urgency to get Lindholm onto the team... but not sure what would help us there without being too costly.

again, we need Patience.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Wild fan here

Leafs pass the eye test in my one game sample. Moved the puck extremely well and those forwards created physical matchup problems for the wild D. Add a defenseman and you guys are gonna be a tough team to play against.

I'd say 2 defencemen. Also if it keeps up, 2 goalies too.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Having a good possesion team doens't matter if your D is a mess. Everytime the opposition have the puck in Leafs D-zone it's disaster. Coverage is laughable, they cant win any board battles and their young forwards don't know how to support that disaster D. When other hand the opposition teams who can play defense can sustain those Leafs attacks.

I rather take 10 shots against were maybe 1-2 are high danger shots than 4-5 high danger shots in total.

Yup.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I can't say this enough, patience. We have some exciting kids, who can play offensively, but learning a defensive system at the NHL level is going to take time. Babcock said there was going to be pain, and it shall continue this year. Quit trying to blame this on someone, Babcock, the goalies, the young D making mistakes.... Who we are, that is expected. Love the good moments, deal with the tough ones. Our time will come.

It's been the vets who have been frustrating

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
It's been the vets who have been frustrating

Who are you speaking of exactly, and did you really see any of them being part of the long-term solution?

To me it's been Hunwick, JvR and Komarov. Komarov doesn't quite seem to have his edge the way it was, and can easily be replaced for what he is currently bringing. Hunwick was never part of the LT plans. JvR maybe... but he continues to play subpar D... But it isn't as if we don't have a ton of wingers coming up. Rielly has made some mistakes, but I get the feeling that he is trying too hard to carry the team, and needs a couple of more games to settle down.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
the worst thing about bad goaltending is that it taints the whole team.

everyone crapping on our dmen should realize that the Wild's defense was worse in this game.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I can't say this enough, patience. We have some exciting kids, who can play offensively, but learning a defensive system at the NHL level is going to take time. Babcock said there was going to be pain, and it shall continue this year. Quit trying to blame this on someone, Babcock, the goalies, the young D making mistakes.... Who we are, that is expected. Love the good moments, deal with the tough ones. Our time will come.

the defense is fine. even good.

the goaltending has been league worst.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Hockey is a game of inches and a couple of Leaf goals the results of having the smallest NHL goalie in net.

Enroth made some good saves but goals 2 and 3 were direct results of not filling enough net and giving openings for the puck.

Enroth is small and battles hard but you can't teach size.

Mess, I don't think you can categorize it that way, Andersen is 6'4" but let in more goals than Enroth 5'10" in the back to back games Laine's quick release caught Andersen out of position.

Enroth is quicker and uses that ability to be in position, to block shots, where as Andersen is slower and is out of position on some shots and not able to get back in Goal, to use his size to block a shot.

The defense you have in front of you is important too, so the opposition is kept to the outside and they aren't in the best scoring area.

I thought Enroth did a good job and as a backup is a good alternate.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Two goalies new to the team, new to the personnel, new to the system... it doesn't happen overnight.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
The only trades that could be had, are Anahiem and Winnipeg... and I don't think Winnipeg is in a rush to make a move. Anahiem... they might have a bit more urgency to get Lindholm onto the team... but not sure what would help us there without being too costly.

again, we need Patience.
I think Anaheim is definitely worth going after. Even took Carlyle and Nonis :). I wouldn't put it past Lou to make something happen there.

But yeah in general it is all a waiting game. Waiting for guys to develop, waiting for guys to adapt to a new situation, and waiting for potential moves to improve. Just takes time.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Are people trying to say that Enroth is > Andersen

:laugh:

I think I should take a break from these boards... its getting ridiculous the past few days.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Hockey is a game of inches and a couple of Leaf goals the results of having the smallest NHL goalie in net.

Enroth made some good saves but goals 2 and 3 were direct results of not filling enough net and giving openings for the puck.

Enroth is small and battles hard but you can't teach size.

Your obsession with size is rivaled only by Burke.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Getting really tired of JVR not trying. This isn't him recovering from his injury, he played like this before he got hurt. He's played like this for years.

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
Here is the glass is half full take.

We have had the lead going into the 3rd in every game.

That didn't happen to often last year.

I look at it i would rather play with the lead and blow it then be down a few and not even have a change to win.

Eventually the coaching staff will work out the defending the lead kinks and all will be good

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Who are you speaking of exactly, and did you really see any of them being part of the long-term solution?

To me it's been Hunwick, JvR and Komarov. Komarov doesn't quite seem to have his edge the way it was, and can easily be replaced for what he is currently bringing. Hunwick was never part of the LT plans. JvR maybe... but he continues to play subpar D... But it isn't as if we don't have a ton of wingers coming up. Rielly has made some mistakes, but I get the feeling that he is trying too hard to carry the team, and needs a couple of more games to settle down.

Those guys and never been a fan of Bozak
No, none of them are part of the long-term solution but they've been playing frustratingly poor so far. The young guys are great, and you're right patience is required.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Bozak just seems to get things done. Isn't flashy, hardly noticeable, but is going to put up a 40-45 point pace again this year. He's useful for now, is a smart player, has a good FOW, and maybe can help our young guys learn that skill. I agree, not a part of the long-term future, but I don't really see him as being a major part of the problem either.

Heck, I'd love to see them try Leivo - Bozak - Marner for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad