"it would be nice to have another veteran guy on the team that’s for sure"

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Hard to Argue you point about the team being Utter Garbage, clearly this year has proven how much he was holding the team back.

It's clear his stellar play over the last few years made a big difference. All he did was teach the kids that it's acceptable to lose, acceptable to pocket your big contract, never personally take a bullet for the team in terms of accountability.

Horcoff taught the kids to make sure you are in shape, here are the good restaurants to go to. Because the team is worse than ever this year does not make Horcoff a better player or better influence on the team.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 1m
Sam Gagner says he owes a lot to Horcoff. Helped him shape his career and become more of a leader. #Oilers

Ryan Dittrick ‏@ryandittrick 41s
"We've had a lot of ups and downs here, but no matter what the situation, Horc came in every morning, led this group and worked hard." - 89

And that is what Horcoff brought to the table. Got in shape, skated hard. Also was massively over paid for terrible performance. Also didn't take losing at all hard. Also never took personal accountability for his part in the bad results.

And that is what we have with our team now.

Get in shape.
Work hard on the ice (but don't pay the price).
Take it for granted you are earning your 5-6 million a year.
Never come out after a game and acknowledge that you suck.
Never stick up for other team mates getting it in the neck from the fans or media.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
It's clear his stellar play over the last few years made a big difference. All he did was teach the kids that it's acceptable to lose, acceptable to pocket your big contract, never personally take a bullet for the team in terms of accountability.

Horcoff taught the kids to make sure you are in shape, here are the good restaurants to go to. Because the team is worse than ever this year does not make Horcoff a better player or better influence on the team.

He taught the kids how to lose? Thought the intentional tanking did that...

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

not his fault he got the big money...blame Lowe for that stupid contract

your Horcoff hate needs to stop...he wasn't the reason they were losing because clearly with his "poison" gone the team, we are better off this year :laugh:

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

Horcoff taught the kids to make sure you are in shape, here are the good restaurants to go to.
Because the team is worse than ever this year does not make Horcoff a better player or better influence on the team.

Got all that from watching it on the teevee, did ya? :laugh:

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
He taught the kids how to lose? Thought the intentional tanking did that...

There never was such a thing ever. This team has legitimately been as bad as their record indicates all the while trying to win. This team never tanked.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
not his fault he got the big money...blame Lowe for that stupid contract

your Horcoff hate needs to stop...he wasn't the reason they were losing because clearly with his "poison" gone the team, we are better off this year :laugh:

Yeah it is his fault for the money. (And I do blame lowe.) When you ask for a sum you are expected to play up to that deal. It is no different than any other profession. If you forgive this player for his contract then you can't say a thing about any other player and his contract and no one is over paid or accountable for playing to their pay scale.

No it will never stop because Horcoff was the poster child of all that is wrong with this organization. Zero accountability, tons of longevity and not even close to a level of performance. Worse yet he is as feared, lauded by the new young players as some shining beacon to be emulated. Rather than entering the league with a captain that showed these guys that losing and lack of performance was not acceptable they learned that it is more than acceptable.

McDavidson

#Jultzing
Mar 18, 2013
There never was such a thing ever. This team has legitimately been as bad as their record indicates all the while trying to win. This team never tanked.

Trying to build through a draft, a revolving door of coaches, the lack of upper management to improve a terrible roster, no team unity, no one playing for the name on the front

That may not be tanking per say, but that's not horcoff

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Got all that from watching it on the teevee, did ya? :laugh:

Yes, I learned it from hearing him never be accountable for his actions in the media, only making excuses. By watching him skate hard but do fly bys if there was any actual trouble on the ice. By watching him get fed prime playing time for years without earning it and by happily pocketing his massive cheques each week as if he earned it.

Even to the very end his last quote was something along the lines of 'I hope the kids improve quick because I am getting older and may not have much time left.'

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Trying to build through a draft, a revolving door of coaches, the lack of upper management to improve a terrible roster, no team unity, no one playing for the name on the front

That may not be tanking per say, but that's not horcoff

I've never said the team stunk strictly because of him. I said he was paid and expected to be a top line player and never was. That his 3rd line scoring stats were a function of being given top line gold plated playing time. that he was never accountable for the lengthy times he totally sucked. Never benched or press boxed. Never took personal account for his play. Never go terribly upset at losing. In other words a terrible example for a young group of players who are supposed to go places.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

So..... it was Horcoff's fault for the team losing when he was on the team...

And it's Horcoff's fault for the team losing when he's not even on the team...

Mighty is Horcoff's mojo indeed. That must make him tremendously influential.

Hockey Monkey

Oct 4, 2011
I see a lot of similarities between the Oilers right now and the Blues circa 2010 or so. We were reaching the end of the first stage of THE REBUILD, we had a couple of blue-chip prospects, most of the team was young guys drafted and developed by the team, we'd been picked to "break out" for the previous couple of seasons and failed quite miserably to deliver, and everyone was wondering if we should BLOW IT UP and trade away everything and try a new approach. It took a few years, really until the young core reached the 23-25 age range and proper coach was brought in, but eventually they started to play winning hockey. We did have to trade away a big-time blue chip guy (Johnson) but got a great return for him and improved the team quite a bit.

When things finally came together in 11-12 it was the kids doing all of the heavy lifting. The only vets on the roster by that time were either useless (Arnott, Langenbrunner) or hurt (McDonald). Point being, I don't think that there would have been much if any value added via a major veteran acquisition any time between 06 and 11...the thing that made the difference was the young guys improving. It took a while and was painful though.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
Seguin had Bergeron, Chara, Krecji etc.

Duchene, Mackinnon, Landeskog have/had Tanguay and Hejduk

Stamkos had Lecavalier and St. Louis.

Hall, Ebs, Yak, Schultz, RNH have Horc lol.

Not one forward or D that have experience in being a star player in the NHL that can give tutelage to the kids. They're out on their own out there.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
didn't the oilers just give away a vet for nothing?

let's face it... a vet who has more dimension than a (decently) moving soda machine.

this team needs a Gary Roberts 2.0 punching them in the face after every bad shift. scowling the rest of the time at how bad and soft they are.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003
Gagner has been all kinds of terrible this season. If they're going to make Gagner anything, it should be an example. He shouldn't be playing, much less in a prominent role.

IMO Gagner had a good preseason, and then broke his jaw (or had his jaw broken) and hasn't played the same yet.

And: Oh, good - another player quote for us to latch on to. Remember everyone, there's a code in there for what Hall really wanted to say - it's hidden but I have faith that, if we analyze it enough, we can find it.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
This is part of the problem with this team, Horcoff was a nice guy who worked hard but not a leader. What this team needs is a Messier, someone who is going to ream the **** out of anyone that steps on the Oiler logo.

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
Not one forward or D that have experience in being a star player in the NHL that can give tutelage to the kids. They're out on their own out there.

this has been apparent for such a long time. it was one of the first observations i thought of when this "rebuild" was going to happen.

the management seemed to think planting children into their system would bloom into Stanley Cup Men through magic beans and hocus pocus.

the fact that the management has neglected to foster a solid place of development in this rebuild = should be fired by now.

the "vets" they brought in are C/D level nhl players. sorry Ference, youre not that good.

the rest arent leaders (Hemsky, etc)

and of course Horc faked it until he made it in the role but just wasnt that good with his hands of stone, lack of finish and Siqqqqqqq-CORSI.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I wish we had a guy like Thornton on this team.

Rishaug: So yakupov, what are your thoughts on being press boxed again, you lazy russian *******.

Thornton: hey listen, if I was getting that kind of PB treatment, id whip out my **** and be stroking it in the press box.

oh boy...:laugh:... glad i came :laugh: in this thread just to read that :laugh:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
IMO Gagner had a good preseason, and then broke his jaw (or had his jaw broken) and hasn't played the same yet.

And: Oh, good - another player quote for us to latch on to. Remember everyone, there's a code in there for what Hall really wanted to say - it's hidden but I have faith that, if we analyze it enough, we can find it.

hall never says what he feels :sarcasm:. i hate hall because he is censored :sarcasm:

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I wish we had a guy like Thornton on this team.

Rishaug: So yakupov, what are your thoughts on being press boxed again, you lazy russian *******.

Thornton: hey listen, if I was getting that kind of PB treatment, id whip out my **** and be stroking it in the press box.

I laughed VERY hard at this post. Well done

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Pang said it perfectly this morning on 1260.

If Tarasenko was pissed at his ice-time, not a chance in hell guys like Backes, Steen, and Jackman let him say a word to the media about it.

Not criticizing Ference....he's obviously a warrior on the ice and exactly the type of guy we need that embraces the community and stuff....but he can't do it alone. We need another guy or two.

Yakupov talked to the media about this after Larionov said he's coming down to make his client happy, or trade him.

Pretty sure Yakupov HAD to talk to the media at that point.

Re Hall's comments - couldn't it just be that Hall was paying Horcoff respect as he was back in town for the first time after being a lifer on the Oilers? You think he's going to throw him under the bus?

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Yakupov talked to the media about this after Larionov said he's coming down to make his client happy, or trade him.

Pretty sure Yakupov HAD to talk to the media at that point.

Re Hall's comments - couldn't it just be that Hall was paying Horcoff respect as he was back in town for the first time after being a lifer on the Oilers? You think he's going to throw him under the bus?[/QUOTE]

Knowing Hall, he wouldnt ever throw someone under the bus in public...he also wouldnt say anything for the sake of lip service. the guy speaks his mind and values his opinion. if he had something bad to say he would choose not talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad