HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1682468906365.png

/uhhhh.nooooo.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

IMG_0564-1-1024x683.jpeg

Billy Kapogiannis kept screaming long after the television camera stopped recording. He found himself yelling as he left his seat inside Amalie Arena and realized he was still going even after crossing a street, walking outside in a warm, victorious evening in Tampa, Fla.

“I just couldn’t stop,” he said with a laugh. “I don’t know what the hell came out of me.”

His reaction made him famous to television viewers and social media users on Monday night, releasing a primal scream after watching Leafs forward Alex Kerfoot cap an unlikely comeback with an overtime goal to secure a 3-1 lead over the Lightning in their first-round playoff series. Kapogiannis was seen on the Sportsnet broadcast screaming into his phone, before abandoning the call to scream into space.

By Tuesday morning, raspy and happy, he had forgotten who was on the other end of that call.

“It could have been Jesus Christ at that point, I don’t know,” he said. “I just answered: ‘Hi, Jesus! It’s the Leafs!’”

Kapogiannis is a restaurant server and entrepreneur from Aurora, Ont., just north of Toronto, who flew to Florida on a whim. Sam Cortese, a friend and colleague, was standing next to him when the camera zoomed in after the win. Cortese was laughing as Kapogiannis screamed to the heavens.

“That’s the passion, that’s what being a Leaf fan is,” said Kapogiannis. “That’s what the world doesn’t understand: We’re not fans, we are Leaf fans, and there’s a difference.”

He cheers for teams in other sports, including the Dallas Cowboys.

“When it comes to the Leafs, I don’t know what happens to me,” he said. “I just go mental, if you want to know the truth.”

Kapogiannis works at Avenue, an Italian restaurant in Kleinburg, a 45-minute drive north of Scotiabank Arena.
Cortese is a chef. They are also partners in VTL Indoor Golf & Academy, an indoor golf facility in Vaughan. (It was a customer who offered them the tickets in Tampa.)

At 59, Kapogiannis is old enough to have been alive when the Leafs won their last Stanley Cup, but not to have any living memory. He has been a fan of the franchise for his whole life, with the playoff run of 1993 seared into his memory.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Lightning fan said that Eysimmont was taken out by a vicious hit to the head.

.....He's blind, right?
Dude it's Florida you can't expect them to see straight with everything they got running in their body right now

(I may or may not have lived in FL in the past)

Reactions: Kurtz

Yall are crazy

Dec 11, 2022
Matthews should not play with marner. He defers way to much to marner. This series shows that matthews needs to be your best player to win in the playoffs. Love marner but at the end of the day….you need matthews.

Feels like matthews just wants to give the puck to marner and let him do it which is idiotic. Once matthews got with nylander then he started to do it himself more. He carries the puck more himself.

Everyone says “trade matthews” but he is the only way we win a cup. Marner is a perfect 2nd best player. You need that big center who defends, hits, block shots, scores goals, and drives play.
It's funny you say that cause you literally lose more games with Matthew's in the lineup than marner. Marner has always been the engine and heart of this team.

Reactions: Lauro

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Loved this video by a Tampa fan

It's a bit long but entertaining. Give him a like.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
He gave a pretty cocky answer saying he wasn't surprised it was 4-1 with how good the lightning are. I don't have the clip. Wasn't super egregious but after seeing him run his mouth all series it was pretty funny seeing him on the bench pan shot after Kerfoot's winner.
He is definitely a player who I seems like a mouthy puke. I hope gets his one day. His antics standing chirping Schenn with Maroon and Jeannot behind him is a pathetic look. I know he's not the only one of all time to do it, but jeez. Him and Kuch bother me. I respect the others. I do respect Kuch in the O zone my lord he's a magician at finding seams.

Reactions: 1specter

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Okay, I skipped some parts to get to the good parts, done watching, but at the end of the TBS broadcast they are rolling shots of the crowd reaction after OT... boy there is a lot of Leaf fans down there considering, there was a real good GLG chant going up there as the crowd filtered out.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I'd be shocked if the Leafs don't have a book on every goalie in the league and already knew this information.

Keefe already said that "they have this information" , so yes.

He is definitely a player who I seems like a mouthy puke. I hope gets his one day. His antics standing chirping Schenn with Maroon and Jeannot behind him is a pathetic look. I know he's not the only one of all time to do it, but jeez. Him and Kuch bother me. I respect the others. I do respect Kuch in the O zone my lord he's a magician at finding seams.

Kuch hates to get hit, you see the life drain out of him every time he gets pasted into the boards.

Reactions: ktownhockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad