HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It was 10 years ago today, Burrows slayed the dragon!

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The Bieksa stanchion goal game happened in the afternoon on a weekend. It was the only one in the series that wasn't in the evening if I recall correctly.

I ALMOST like the call for the stanchion goal more then the dragon slayer call, but either goal I love Shorty's emotion in the call.

It is a little sad to me though that one of the biggest goals in Canucks history isn't a cup winning goal. It was great to get the Chicago monkey off our backs but still.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
same two friends on my couch for game five against san jose and we screamed our fffffing lungs out when we realized bieksa had scored

...thinking about this again, my memory of that bieksa OT goal was that it happened in the early afternoon in toronto. did that game start at 9 or 10 AM in vancouver?
I screamed like I was dying when OT Campbell scored against the Hawks in 1982.:thumbu: Now I curse his name taking orders from the likes of Jeremy Jacobs.:sarcasm:

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
That was an amazing game, I distinctly remember Crawford keeping the Hawks in it at times, we were dominant for large stretches...Hughston famously called out " It SHOULD be over" after we missed another great chance in the third.

From Toews tying it shorthanded with a minute left, to Burrows slaying the dragon....sensational game.

The burst of emotion afterwards was unparalleled.

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Time flies. I was 17 and watching the game with my extended family. Family members that weren't hockey fans were shocked at how loud we were when Burrows scored.

Reactions: mossey3535

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I don't like knowing that this was ten years ago.

I was watching this game in a pub with a Single Serving Friend from class — she went home after the end of regulation and I got to enjoy the OT goal with the 3 or 4 other strangers there

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It was an exhilarating moment for many....but also looking back, a touch of sadness. 2011 was the year the Canucks should have won the Cup. And not close since.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
It was an exhilarating moment for many....but also looking back, a touch of sadness. 2011 was the year the Canucks should have won the Cup. And not close since.

2009 was heartbreaking as well. Sweeping the Blues, Luongo red hot, Sundin heating up in the 2nd round and being minutes away from a commanding 3-1 series lead.

Christ. Bittersweet years.

Reactions: PM

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
2009 was heartbreaking as well. Sweeping the Blues, Luongo red hot, Sundin heating up in the 2nd round and being minutes away from a commanding 3-1 series lead.

Christ. Bittersweet years.
Yup Bernier was open cross ice but Willie made the safe play off the glass. Havlat knocks it down half fans on it and beats Lu. 2-2 instead of 3-1.

The Hawks hadn’t learned to win yet and that game launched their dynasty.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
What a rollercoaster of a game. I remember watching with so much anxiety as we completely dominated the Hawks at 5v5 throughout the game but couldn't get the insurance marker to save our lives. Burrows' missed penalty shot was especially frustrating because you wanted him to go to his usual forehand-backhand move but he didn't IIRC...

When Sharp had that chance on the PP in OT... I thought that was the game right there. But Luongo read it and played it well.

I actually didn't believe the dragon-slaying goal had gone in until half a second later when the entire team jumped over the bench to mob him. What a ****ing moment I'll never forget. The rest of that run was fun too and I have a lot of fond memories but that goal is still my favourite to this very day.

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
I'm just watching these extended highlights and...man. I forgot what it felt like to watch my team and expect to win. Like every game I expected to win, every chance expected a goal, every shot against expected a save. The team was good. So good. Not just 'a couple exciting players' good, but up and down the line-up so good.

I'm so glad I got to watch that team so closely during those years, and so disappointed it fell apart right at the very end. Watching any highlights from 2011 brings such a mixed bag of emotions.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I'm just watching these extended highlights and...man. I forgot what it felt like to watch my team and expect to win. Like every game I expected to win, every chance expected a goal, every shot against expected a save. The team was good. So good. Not just 'a couple exciting players' good, but up and down the line-up so good.

for some reason, this game has stuck specifically in my head as the quintessential 2011-canucks-are-going-to-win game. every time san jose came back, we'd go righ back up. such good times.

spoiler: burrows with the backhard winner in the shootout

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad