HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It was 10 years ago today, Burrows slayed the dragon!

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
definitely the best game I've ever seen a Canucks team play. every player gave everything they had on every shift.

I served Andrew Alberts coffee on his way to the rink. I told him I had no doubt they'd win it. My shift ended just in time for me to sprint over to my buddy's place to watch. After the game we ran around downtown yelling and screaming, running into friends and hugging them, high fiving strangers, etc etc. it'll never be like that again!

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Man you could cut the tension in the city with a knife that night, but in a good way since the game itself was really entertaining. That was probably the biggest cheer I had ever let out. Oddly what I might remember more is when my stomach sunk seeing Patrick Sharp with that OT chance at the side of the net. I vividly remember seeing that chance and thinking that was gonna be the game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Man you could cut the tension in the city with a knife that night, but in a good way since the game itself was really entertaining. That was probably the biggest cheer I had ever let out. Oddly what I might remember more is when my stomach sunk seeing Patrick Sharp with that OT chance at the side of the net. I vividly remember seeing that chance and thinking that was gonna be the game.

Tension is right. Think my fingernails were gone less than five minutes into the game.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Remember thinking the team would go to the finals if they finally beat Chicago. I think they would have extinguished them in Game 4 had they not developed whatever illness spread in that room - and it was evident by their play in Game 4 and 5.

Just imagine had Sharp connected on the OT winning goal minutes prior. That would have been the definition of a franchise killing goal...Burrows singlehandedly kept the core together and saved AV and Gillis' jobs with that one goal.

2009-2012 Canucks ran into a generational Blackhawks roster 3 times and one of the strongest 8th seeds to win a cup. Just unfortunate luck.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I was there, first game. Been all downhill since then :(

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I was there, first game. Been all downhill since then :(
Umm..

Kesler's domination of the Preds was still on the uphill.

As was Bieksa's stanchion goal against the Sharks.

xyper.gif

May 31, 2006
I actually missed the goal. After Toews scored and then we went shorthanded in OT, I stopped watching for my own cardiovascular health.

Pretty crazy day for Burrows. Scored in the first period, missed a penalty shot in the third, took a penalty in OT, and then scored the winner. Then his wife gave birth to their first born a few hours later. I will always love that guy.

Reactions: CanuckCity

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
What a great moment, it was a ride up until game 3 of the Finals...........

Too soon?

It took 8-9 years but life, wife and kids made me really move on from sadness and anger from 2011. I still get mixed emotions when I see highlights from the SCF but it's no longer feelings of anger. Obviously want to see the team win something in our lifetimes but can accept that I would rather much have other things to which are in my control.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Just watched some highlights, I forgot how physical that team was. A young Edler, Torres even Alberts and Ballard.

Also Lu was on that night. Kept a 1-0 score till the very end.

Reactions: CanuckCity

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i still remember the five seconds of silence in my living room after that goal. we were just stunned and silent with relief.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i also remember everything about the schneids cramping up game. easter dinner at my friends' apartment and one of them, who is a fairly fairweather fan and hadn't really paid much attention since 1994, was so disgusted after the OT winner that he said he'd never watch a canucks game again. he didn't tune in again until game three of the finals.

love him to death but i feel like he got what his bandwagoning ass deserved.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
It took 8-9 years but life, wife and kids made me really move on from sadness and anger from 2011. I still get mixed emotions when I see highlights from the SCF but it's no longer feelings of anger. Obviously want to see the team win something in our lifetimes but can accept that I would rather much have other things to which are in my control.

I don’t talk about that run as much anymore as I used too...that took the fun out of me for a couple of years. I’ve moved on and matured, can’t control the outcome of the game and years later it just happened.

Great memories for sure, wished for a better outcome in the end.

Such is life.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
i still remember the five seconds of silence in my living room after that goal. we were just stunned and silent with relief.

Man. Polar opposite in mine - I don't know if I've ever screamed so loud in my life.

Well, that's not true - I definitely screamed and cheered a lot during that run. Game 5 vs. San Jose, Game 2 vs. Boston were the other highlights.

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Man. Polar opposite in mine - I don't know if I've ever screamed so loud in my life.

Well, that's not true - I definitely screamed and cheered a lot during that run. Game 5 vs. San Jose, Game 2 vs. Boston were the other highlights.

same two friends on my couch for game five against san jose and we screamed our fffffing lungs out when we realized bieksa had scored

...thinking about this again, my memory of that bieksa OT goal was that it happened in the early afternoon in toronto. did that game start at 9 or 10 AM in vancouver?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
same two friends on my couch for game five against san jose and we screamed our fffffing lungs out when we realized bieksa had scored

...thinking about this again, my memory of that bieksa OT goal was that it happened in the early afternoon in toronto. did that game start at 9 or 10 AM in vancouver?

Pretty sure that game was played at the usual 7PM in Vancouver. Wasn't until the Cup Finals where all the games started around 5PM PST, I believe.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Pretty sure that game was played at the usual 7PM in Vancouver. Wasn't until the Cup Finals where all the games started around 5PM PST, I believe.

nevermind, i think i'm conflating memories. i think game 4, the game where the sedins and salo murdered them on the PP, was the early sunday game.

the bieksa goal must have happened super duper late for us actually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad