Proposal: It May Be Time To Re-Visit Kessel at Center

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Re-branding Kessel

12 assists this year to lead the team, 45 assists last year. Time to think of Phil as a as not simply a sniper, where everyone focused only on his goal scoring, but a complete player.

Kessel is a better playmaking Winger than goal scorer that could be a playmaking Center once Lupul gets back.

Having Phil also feed Lupul and JVR, his assists totals can even be better. Interesting situation RC will have to deal with when Lupul comes back.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
12 assists this year to lead the team, 45 assists last year. Time to think of Phil as a as not simply a sniper, where everyone focused only on his goal scoring, but a complete player.

Kessel is a better playmaking Winger than goal scorer that could be a playmaking Center once Lupul gets back.

Having Phil also feed Lupul and JVR, his assists totals can even be better. Interesting situation RC will have to deal with when Lupul comes back.

Bozak has been too valuable this year to move out of that spot. Barring some big roster move I can't see any reason why they would break up the top line. Lupul will look great on Kadri's wing.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Bozak has been too valuable this year to move out of that spot. Barring some big roster move I can't see any reason why they would break up the top line. Lupul will look great on Kadri's wing.

RC is not shy to make bold moves, nothing would surprise me with him. Contracts do not matter under this new regime and seeing Grabo in the pressbox would not surprise me.

Bozak has consistently logged more ice time than Grabo this year, and seems to be the most important Center to RC.

Just speculating, but RC already has asked Grabo for more fire this year. Not sure he is happy with him, so when Lupul and Frattin come back, just how it shakes down remains to be seen. Mac has picked up his play and is really clicking with Kadri. Not sure why anyone would want to split up Kadri, Frattin and Mac.

Biggest disappointment this year has been Grabo, on merit he should see the pressbox. RC is not afraid to sit out high priced players, Connolly, Liles, Komi, wouldn't rule it out.

For discussion's sake.

Kessel, Lupul, JVR
Kadri, Frattin, Mac
Bozak, Kule, Komarov (new shutdown line)
Mcclement, Orr, Mcalaren

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Or when Lupul and Frattin come back into the line up, who sits?/thread

Not Macarthur, he's clicking with Kadri and maybe his finger is getting better because he has been more noticable.

Kessel and JVR are really developing into an effective tandem, plug in Lupul, no telling how good this line can be?

Bozak was always a good fit as our #3C, he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, is solid defensively, has started to use his body, he's an excellent fit between Kulemin and Komarov. Time to put him into the proper slot as our #3 C, he may be even more valuable there than between JVR and Kessel.

waingr0

May 14, 2010
It's no coincidence that Lupul had a career year last year, while JVR has 11 goals in 18 games in his absence.

The most s*** on player in the NHL is really, really good.

Alflives*

The Leafs, and their need at center. I think we visited that need in another thread, where it took a while, but people finally got my point.

The Leafs are fine at center. They have no need for any more centers. Kadri is a developing #1 center, who will play the top role in the near future. Getting players like: Parise, Perry, Eberle, or Smyth to come in and play center is as rediculous as suggesting the Leafs are not just fine at center.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
RC is not shy to make bold moves, nothing would surprise me with him. Contracts do not matter under this new regime and seeing Grabo in the pressbox would not surprise me.

Bozak has consistently logged more ice time than Grabo this year, and seems to be the most important Center to RC.

Just speculating, but RC already has asked Grabo for more fire this year. Not sure he is happy with him, so when Lupul and Frattin come back, just how it shakes down remains to be seen. Mac has picked up his play and is really clicking with Kadri. Not sure why anyone would want to split up Kadri, Frattin and Mac.

Biggest disappointment this year has been Grabo, on merit he should see the pressbox. RC is not afraid to sit out high priced players, Connolly, Liles, Komi, wouldn't rule it out.

For discussion's sake.

Kessel, Lupul, JVR
Kadri, Frattin, Mac
Mcclement, Orr, Mcalaren

That's the key right there and why he won't be taken off the top line.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
That's the key right there and why he won't be taken off the top line.

Then you are taking either taling off Frattin or Macarthur off of the second line to make room for Lupul.

Why would you do this? Based on merit of play this year, who do you think is moved off of the second or 3rd lines if you want to move down Macarthur or Frattin.

Not the KGM line redux again, this line was awful at the beginning of the year, and really hasn't been as good as their highpoint in 10-11. Tried, overdone, let's move on and retire KGM line once and for all. Mac is excelling with Kadri, no need to break up the Kadri line when Frattin comes back.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's no coincidence that Lupul had a career year last year, while JVR has 11 goals in 18 games in his absence.

The most s*** on player in the NHL is really, really good.

Yep, keeping Kessel with 2 wingers he has a history of good chemistry with, seems very logical to me. Other than lining up for faceoffs, Kessel is playing more like a Center than winger with the way he is carrying the puck and distributing. It's not a major switch, and it gets him away from his weakest part of his game, the end around puck around the boards break out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Then you are taking either taling off Frattin or Macarthur off of the second line to make room for Lupul.

Why would you do this? Based on merit of play this year, who do you think is moved off of the second or 3rd lines if you want to move down Macarthur or Frattin.

Not the KGM line redux again, this line was awful at the beginning of the year, and really hasn't been as good as their highpoint in 10-11. Tried, overdone, let's move on and retire KGM line once and for all. Mac is excelling with Kadri, no need to break up the Kadri line when Frattin comes back.

Macarthur's days are numbered here. Barring further injuries I don't see him making it passed the Trade deadline, if he lasts that long.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

For discussion's sake.

Kessel, Lupul, JVR
Kadri, Frattin, Mac
Mcclement, Orr, Mcalaren

Why would he tinker with a line-up that's winning? Your posts on this subject make no sense.

You also keep ripping on Grabo for his production when countless posters have proven many times that he's not being played in a role to produce offense. FYI, Kule has been a bigger dissapointment offensively, guy forgets how to stickhandle in the offensive zone.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Or when Lupul and Frattin come back into the line up, who sits?/thread

Not Macarthur, he's clicking with Kadri and maybe his finger is getting better because he has been more noticable.

Kessel and JVR are really developing into an effective tandem, plug in Lupul, no telling how good this line can be?

Bozak was always a good fit as our #3C, he wins faceoffs, kills penalties, is solid defensively, has started to use his body, he's an excellent fit between Kulemin and Komarov. Time to put him into the proper slot as our #3 C, he may be even more valuable there than between JVR and Kessel.

Lol, how is Macarthur clicking with Kadri? He's done nothing to help him out and the points that Kadri does get are on the PP, and get this, the player centering that line is Grabo. Don't know if you've noticed, but the Grabo PP line creates very good offensive pressure and chances.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009

You keep talking about Grabo and how he's not producing, Macarthur playing on one of our most productive lines still has less points then Grabo.

leafspring*

Lupul will look some good with Kadri,and Frattin when he returns. I say that because,i believe in the if it aint broke don't fix it saying. That isn't the only reason though.

Lupul would be a veteran leader for Naz/Frats in intense situations that come up within the game.The 2 young guys will be needing that,and the plus is that it makes the team stronger,and more balanced.

The cycle game Lupes plays is a pretty smart brand he can teach them,and i think they could be solid defensively too. There is alot positive to be said for dropping the veteran in with them.

They would cause some line juggling for the other coach in terms of defending the leafs also.That in turn might give Carlyle a little advantage in line matching here and there in a game.

Kessel doesn't need to be considered to play center.

Apr 1, 2010
Move Kessel to Center?

He has played it in the past.

His rush down the wing is getting old, and he has shown to be an excellent playmaker.

Perhaps he, and the team, would have better success with Lupul and JVR as wingers with KEssel at center.

We need to start thinking about the top 9 creatively for when Frattin and Lupul return.

Anyway. Switch him or no?

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This has been suggested many times on this board, and won't end well.

Kessel also played a few games at centre last season or 2 seasons ago, and IIRC, he failed.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Why not move Grabovski with Kessel and JVR and put Bozak on the checking line? It might work better for Phil and Grabovski but also keep Bozak producing on another with some one he's had chemistry before (Kulemin) while also putting him with a great centre in McClement or even with Komarov.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
You're right, he keeps trying the streak-down-the-right-side-and-shoot move and it's not working. 95% get deflected into the netting, 3% get saved, and 2% go in.

I don't think putting him at centre will work, however. He's more dangerous when streaking down the wing, as it forces defencemen to pivot to defend him.

I'd be interested to see him on the other wing, actually. Gives him a whole new look of the rink. He's already scored 3-4 times from the left side on the powerplay anyways.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Too Weak on D, doesn't forecheck or hit hard so i don't think he'd be able to take tough face offs. He has the passing ability and skating, if he put in more effort and was more physical he could work at center. As of right now, no.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Too Weak on D, doesn't forecheck or hit hard so i don't think he'd be able to take tough face offs. He has the passing ability and skating, if he put in more effort and was more physical he could work at center. As of right now, no.

Kessel being weak on D can now be relegated a myth. He's been playing a 200-foot game this season.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Sorry, but no. Kessel is back-checking more than he used to, which is a good thing, but he is still brutal defensively

Dreakmur, Kessel would have to strap on the pads and get 10 straight shutouts before you gave him any credit for being good defensively.

I'm not saying he's a Selke candidate, but he's pulling his weight defensively. I've seen him as the third man back more times in the last 6 weeks than I have in the previous 3 seasons collectively.

It's a moot point anyways because he will not be put back at centre, and thus won't needed to be counted on as heavily for his defence. I do believe he is more than capable, however, based on his recent work, to shoulder the responsibilities of a centreman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad