It’s too late

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Rather than pretend grit and physicality doesn’t matter or that the Refs all of a sudden will find their whistles in a playoff series, just accept the observation from O’Neill.

We are soft. Even with Komarov (who will play).

We hope it doesn’t matter.

The good news is that O’Neill can’t predict the future anymore than we can. So let the games begin and play out as it may.
I know Domi has long retired, but what ever happened to Rosehill?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I believe also Leafs lack of team toughness could very well spell their demise, so I tend to agree with o'Neill assessment of Leafs known weakness..

Teams that are big and strong and physical as well as fast and skilled can play the game any you want like Bruins and Jets etc and as such could use that toughness factor to their advantage to impose their will on the Leafs.

The playoffs get tougher and tighter checking and Leafs game is speed and skill alone which is the components that come under that most pressure as scoring comes down and defense comes to the forefront of successful teams.

Your 2nd paragraph:
I totally agree. I want the Leafs to get bigger and more physical, but on one condition; the bigger player shouldn't be in over a faster/more-skilled player. If we can get a big skilled player like Wheeler, Laine, Byfuglien then I'm all for it. But I 100% don't want big players like Reaves, Lucic, etc that aren't as skilled and fast as our guys .

Your 3rd paragraph:
I hate to be 'that guy' but Pittsburgh's defense was not the forefront of their success.

I agree with you that there is much tighter checking, but in my honest opinion players don't play 'tougher' (they smarten up and skate harder every shift). We have hard-working checkers on each line that have great board-work (Hyman, Brown, Kadri, Komarov/Johnsson, Matthews). Just look at last year with Washington. The game didn't have more 'toughness', it had tighter checking.

Reactions: IamruKusleaf

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
ye damn him and his stupid decisions that led our team to have over 100 points..what a meathead
Have you considered, at all, how many more points we might have earned with better player personnel decisions? Maybe Boston and TB are chasing us for home ice advantage.

Oh, never mind, coach Babcock can do no wrong!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
People saying Pittsburg or the Hawks were not physical are lying to themselves they both were physical teams...not goons looking to run players through the boards.

This issue is: are the Leaf players going to show a willingness to take a hit to make a player? If not we will be gone from the playoffs fast. If we pull the chute going back for the puck or anywhere on the ice all the time we will be in trouble. That is the issue.

They weren’t “soft” (a term that really applies to only a very small number of teams) but they were no more physical than what the Leafs are at present.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
wouldnt sacrifice skill for physicality, but ideally you have a guy or two like matthew tkachuk in your lineup who bring both.

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
Have you considered, at all, how many more points we might have earned with better player personnel decisions? Maybe Boston and TB are chasing us for home ice advantage.

Oh, never mind, coach Babcock can do no wrong!

They have over 100 points therefore Babcock's decisions are all wonderful..
2 years ago they finished dead last but that was because they had no talent...

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I think more physicality would benefit the D the most. When teams get the cycle going the D can’t seem to do anything to stop it. It turns into a lot of stick waving and waiting for the opposition to turn the puck over with a shot or sloppy pass. They could stand to be a little more aggressive and take the body more.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Physicality is a general term. Taking the' rough go' is what it takes. Sure, it's a plus to have some players that can dish it out to help wear the other guys down, part of the balance needed.
Not much actual fighting in the playoffs so those roll players often watch. Mean power forwards with talent are valuable, only a handful of those guys around the league.
The leafs have enough talent to win it all, really they are as good as any team in the league at scoring and they've shown ability to take the rough go and the discipline.That said, I would like to see more immediate and severe retaliation for messing with Andersen,but I'm old school like that!

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
This is why i want the Leafs to move up and draft Brady Tkachuk. I've watched him a lot live and TV. He's even feistier than his brother. Not sure he's the goal scorer Matthew is but he isn't far behind. There couldn't be a better fit for the Leafs. My fall back plan is to trade for Tom Wilson over the summer. You wouldn't be giving up nearly as much. But you get what you pay for.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I'm sure the leaf brass will work towards obtaining the needed ingredients going forward. A power winger or center would be great,I'm not up on who is available in order to complete the recipe, but I have faith in Lou and Shanny. For now though, they can go far if Andersen is the best goalie.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Ah yes! Was a big fan of 'old time hockey', understood that fighting had its uses, but I am also a fan of the highly skilled players in the league these days.
Perhaps it will come full circle one day as the less skilled teams resort to intimidation tactics and injuring star players because they can't compete? Hopefully not, but owners/coaches wanna win.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Shanahan was one of my favorite players. The guy could do it all
Yeah we could definitely use a Shanny or Roberts for sure.
Don't know how much Simmonds will ask for but he'd be a good addition.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
People saying Pittsburg or the Hawks were not physical are lying to themselves they both were physical teams
Since you equate physicality with hits when talking about Komarov in the post before the one I quote here, I think it should be pointed out that the Blackhawks are last in hits since 06, and only Minnesota comes even close.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Hits means you don't have possession, etc. Yadda yadda...

As long as Grabovski isn't laying on the ice all night waiting for the refs to call something we'll be ok.

Someone will tug and punch. It's gonna happen. Cuts and bruises will be on the menu. Just fight through it, and keep playing your game.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
O Dog with more bad commentary.

The only team that plays "physical" in the East playoffs is Boston and there is more just Chara and cheap shots from Marchand.

TB rolls all skill lineups out there and everyone thinks they are just fine.

O'Neil is thinking about how the league played 20 years ago

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
O Dog with more bad commentary.

The only team that plays "physical" in the East playoffs is Boston and there is more just Chara and cheap shots from Marchand.

TB rolls all skill lineups out there and everyone thinks they are just fine.

O'Neil is thinking about how the league played 20 years ago
It does seem to me that the Leafs don't finish their checks as often as other teams.
IMO, there is a big difference between physical and dirty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad