Post-Game Talk: It’s Pulju, b*tch.

What surprised you the most about tonight's game?

• Total voters

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I thought kass played great last night. Easily his best game of the year.

I thought he looked more comfortable in his skin on the third line but he was still losing puck battles and lost in positioning on defence. Hopefully he gains more confidence and traction though.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
IMO it has to be said that Pulju winning so many pucks, going to the right areas and pressuring his ass off allowed Connor and Nuge to play with the puck on their stick far more than they have for the majority of the season. Is he the best player on that line? No. Was he the straw that stirred the drink? IMO yes.

One thing I really liked about Connor last night was he moved the puck to Pooly quite a bit (and sometimes when he didn't have to as he had room to wheel). That goes a LONG way in upping a young guy's confidence. You can see Pooly's confidence grow as the game went along and Connor kept dishing to him.

In years past, I remember a lot of times where guys would totally look off Pooly when he was in flight and WIDE open. This destroys a guy's confidence and gets him totally disengaged. He starts thinking no one will pass to him and won't go hard to open spots to receive passes or support the puck carrier.

You see good teams in this league and guys on all lines would be snapping the puck around quickly and everyone's engaged and wanting to get into open ice to be available or a pass.

Konami McDavid

May 1, 2015
Edmonton
I dont agree. I peeked over in TML and Jets boards after their losses to Edm and for the most part it was a lot calmer. There general consensus is ' cant win em all, win the next one'. Some fans werent happy with Sheifele's defensive play and Demelo costing them the game at end but there was no fire coach, scratch this core player, shoot this one to the moon etc talks there.
When it comes to bashing our own players/coaches we seem to be unmatched.. Maybe once we start winning more than losing we will change

To be fair, they only got handed their 2nd loss of the season. Having said that, I avoid this place after a loss. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed, but dang this place gets toxic. Here after a win usually though.

Reactions: GOilers88

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I'm not convinced.

In the 3rd, that line got scored on, partly because Turris went to the corner as a C and then the unit defensively shook loose and Kahun lost his man.

I need to see consistency from the Kahun-Turris-Kassian new look 3rd line or whatever the bottom six ends up being next game and beyond.

Actually, Turris did his job. He took the man into the corner and for some reason Barrie decided to follow him which left Ehlers wide open (Who Kahun didn't pick up in time.)

Reactions: Aerchon

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
To be fair, they only got handed their 2nd loss of the season. Having said that, I avoid this place after a loss. Doesn't mean I'm not annoyed, but dang this place gets toxic. Here after a win usually though.
Apologies, i am one of them toxic ones after losses .. Gotta vent somewhere!

Reactions: Aerchon

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Slightly OT: but Facebook memories reminded me that yesterday marked 8 years since Nail Yakupov's buzzer beater to tie up the Kings game back at Recall.

Oh how times have changed.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
As well Neal and Kassian paired up against 2nd and 3rd pair D should offer them more advantage on the forecheck

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Pool party seems to be a larger version of Yams, the honey badger. He's the perfect catalyst for McNuge. He creates chaos in front of the net and those 2 smart players will thrive on that chaos. I'm hopingbthisbisbthebganebhe brings on a nightly basis. Kahun will eventually click on line 2 and we could end up with 2 really strong lines to play against.

Really gotta give Koskinen credit in this one. He made some huge saves in the first to keep us within reach and was big throughout. He sees a lot of grade A chances. Some are going to go in but he has given us a chance to win in every game this year.

Lots to be happy with. Major signs of improvement. Need to clean up the D zone still and get the special teams up to par.

We're much closer to the team we saw last year.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Of course. And winning helps.

I was responding to people claiming nurse haters can suck it. When imo the team was eating ass....so criticism was valid if even for venting.

Premature panic....maybe...but its not like everyone was roses because people were panicking either.
Nurse haters can suck it. Blaming Nurse for Larsson, Jones and others sucking it weak and only shows that those people are simply just haters. They’ll hate on Nurse for the mistakes of others. Think about how dumb that is.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I've always been a Nurse fan. I like my D ornery. Darnell obviously fits that bill to a tee. He's not a bit part here either and I could never understand people wanting him traded or not resigned. He's an alpha on this team and letter or not he's a big part of it. He's one of those personalities in a room that is larger than life and that helps define your team.

Whether he's taking Marners head off, pile driving Gallagher, throttling another Leaf, or staring down Wheeler his take no prisoners attitude says "no shit happening while I'm on watch"

Anybody that has played the game knows that even pregame both teams fairly recognize who the cops are, and who is likely the alpha. Usually doesnt even take a fight to establish that, just a known. Nobody even wants to fight Darnell at this point. He backs people right off. But when that happens its more than just a standoff, its a surrender. When that occurs on ice its a bigger thing than Nurse bolting up and intimidating Blake Wheeler. Everybody on both benches sees it, knows it, knows what it is.

Make no mistake Darnell is taking a ton of liberties this season, almost every game, and no opponent is dealing with him or even wants to. Think about it. He put Gallaghers head into the boards, and no Hab was willing or able to take him on. Gallagher would be one of the most protected players on a club and nothing happened.

Darnell is owning alpha right now. Knocking it out of the ballpark. He's probably the gunslinger in the whole Northern conference. Nobody wants high noon with him.
You kinda hope somebody calls him on it at some point. We need to inject some energy into Kassian's ass and nothing does that quite like getting him physically engaged.

Fluff Kassian is a dud.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Slightly OT: but Facebook memories reminded me that yesterday marked 8 years since Nail Yakupov's buzzer beater to tie up the Kings game back at Recall.

Oh how times have changed.

Looking at how bad our bottom 6 is, I wonder if we should bring back Yak, Paajarvi, Gagner, and the rest of the boyz and plug them into the bottom 6 for nostalgia purposes. Can't be much worse than what we have already :laugh::naughty:
Oh..and Hall as LW in top 6

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Apologies, i am one of them toxic ones after losses .. Gotta vent somewhere!
It's not the after losses that kills me.

It's the game over bullshit in the first period that irks the shit out of me. Then folks decide to act all cheery after the team guts out a win?

Like, f*** off. Go check out rehab or something. They love quitters there. :laugh:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looking at how bad our bottom 6 is, I wonder if we should bring back Yak, Paajarvi, Gagner, and the rest of the boyz and plug them into the bottom 6 for nostalgia purposes. Can't be much worse than what we have already :laugh::naughty:
Oh..and Hall as LW in top 6
If someone told me 2yrs ago or even last year that our bottom 6 in 2yrs would be Neal-Turris-Kassian, Archibald,Ennis, Chiasson and Khaira i would have been very happy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's not the after losses that kills me.

It's the game over bullshit in the first period that irks the shit out of me. Then folks decide to act all cheery after the team guts out a win?

Like, f*** off. Go check out rehab or something. They love quitters there. :laugh:

For mental health reasons its best to avoid GDT's once the games start and to not read to much of anything until a safe amount of hours have elapsed. Then its better to read everything backwards pretending its an alien language.

Starting with the GDT I couldn't comprehend most of the comments yesterday.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
One thing I really liked about Connor last night was he moved the puck to Pooly quite a bit (and sometimes when he didn't have to as he had room to wheel). That goes a LONG way in upping a young guy's confidence. You can see Pooly's confidence grow as the game went along and Connor kept dishing to him.

In years past, I remember a lot of times where guys would totally look off Pooly when he was in flight and WIDE open. This destroys a guy's confidence and gets him totally disengaged. He starts thinking no one will pass to him and won't go hard to open spots to receive passes or support the puck carrier.

You see good teams in this league and guys on all lines would be snapping the puck around quickly and everyone's engaged and wanting to get into open ice to be available or a pass.

Yah, nope, I never saw that, and I doubt others did either. Last night he got himself into position for a pass, and that's why he received a pass. Connor McDavid doesn't refrain from passing off, in fact, if there is a fault, it's that doesn't shoot enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad