Post-Game Talk: It’s beginning to look a lot like ****mas

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Trading for a rental who will be gone in a few months is not building a foundation. It's patching a hole for a few months only to see that hole open up again after the season and in the process exhausting an asset that can be used to build a long term foundation.

I'm all for Holland improving the team now, just not with expensive rentals.
It would have been nice if he had some cap space in the offseason to make a J.T. Miller type trade. That's the type of deal they should be looking at although that's more of a draft/offseason thing.
why do people always assume all trades will be rentals. there are players available who won't be rentals. Patty Maroon was acquired midseason, not a rental. we need value players on value contracts who can help now and in the future and we should be willing to give up value picks and prospects in return for them

Reactions: GOilers88

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
why do people always assume all trades will be rentals. there are players available who won't be rentals. Patty Maroon was acquired midseason, not a rental. we need value players on value contracts who can help now and in the future and we should be willing to give up value picks and prospects in return for them

I don't think we NEED to do anything right now. Do you think this team is capable of a playoff push beyond a round or two? I don't.

Why trade any assets if you're not a contender? If we get to the playoffs, regardless of position, this is not a deep enough team where I'd be comfortable giving up any assets.

That's not to say we haven't improved. We absolutely have and the farm is just now starting to bare fruit. This is NOT the time to start trading those pieces away.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I don't think we NEED to do anything right now. Do you think this team is capable of a playoff push beyond a round or two? I don't.

Why trade any assets if you're not a contender? If we get to the playoffs, regardless of position, this is not a deep enough team where I'd be comfortable giving up any assets.

That's not to say we haven't improved. We absolutely have and the farm is just now starting to bare fruit. This is NOT the time to start trading those pieces away.
Yes I do. We did it with with a relatively weaker team few years ago. We can absolutely do it. especially past the first round in a WEAK pacific division.

we care too much about futures. we've been doing this since 2010. I used to be on that boat too but i'm off that now.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I dunno, I kind of liked that game in general. McDavid, Kassian, and Nygard were actually really, really good together. That's... Kind of awesome! It was kind of a flip flop of the usual Oilers game, where Carolina just dominated on special teams, but the Oilers had really good chances 5v5.

Looking at the stats, they kind of support that. Oilers had 73% of the high danger scoring chances, and the unblocked shot attempts was even right down the middle.

I really hope they keep Nygard-McDavid-Kassian together, and I'd love to see Neal and Draisaitl together. Draisaitl really just needs to get his minutes down a bit, and maybe get some easier comp, how about:

Nygard-McDavid-Kassian
Khaira-Nuge-Haas
Neal-Draisaitl-Chiasson (The o-zone penalty line)
Granlund-Sheahan-Archibald

Then when we grab Kreider you can shift Neal to the right side and go Kreider-Drai-Neal as a second line.

How dare you say anything positive after an Oiler loss. Don't you know it's only crying and complaining and the sky falling talk.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Just stop it, he can't make things better, because he's the worst player on the team by a significant margin. Brandon Manning is currently stealing $2+M from the Oilers, he should really thank his agent for all the utterly undeserved contract.

I actually was hoping they were playing him before he got hurt so Holland could trade him for another overpaid bum who we could try to reclaim.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
On the 1260 post game show last night, someone asked how much better points wise the Oilers are compared to last year after 33 games.

They are one point better and were tied with San Jose for 3rd on December 15th last year (game 33). Calgary and Anaheim were 1st and 2nd with 44 and 41 points.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Tip needs to have some consistency and stability with the lines... he's switching things up so much and in-game.. I get he's trying to get some juice for the moment but long-term these guys need time to read one another and build off that

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

I partly agree with you, but we MUST make the playoffs this year and YES I would sacrifice some assets to ensure it. If we miss, yet again, we are denying our core valuable experience that we will need before we can truly contend AND we'll be denying Holland the input data he needs to assess our PLAYOFF weaknesses... which guys are going to perform under the pressure, etc.

Now, ideally we can find some deals for assets that still have some term. I'd certainly be open to bundling a few A- prospects for a B+ NHL asset under contract. Those sorts of deals should be no-brainers.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
I'm surprised this tweet hasn't got a mention haha.

Matheson should retire.

Although in all honesty, he's no worse than some of the fans on message boards and social media. What is it about Draisaitl that attracts so much hate? The guy is one of the best players in the NHL, and yes, he's clearly going through a slump, but what NHL player, elite or mediocre, doesn't experience a slump? Matthews is hot and cold over the course of a year, yet I doubt Toronto media and fans analyze every twitch of his moustache when he misses a pass or shot.

I wish people would let it go. Drat's clearly exhausted from overuse, but I guess that's too rational of a conclusion to attract clicks from the hordes of hate-hungry sheep.

Reactions: I am the Liquor

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
On the 1260 post game show last night, someone asked how much better points wise the Oilers are compared to last year after 33 games.

They are one point better and were tied with San Jose for 3rd on December 15th last year (game 33). Calgary and Anaheim were 1st and 2nd with 44 and 41 points.

Looking at simply the total in the standings omits some perspective on how the seasons played out though. At game 33 last year Edmonton had 39 points, but were just finishing up a 9-2-2 heater then proceeded to lose its next 6 straight (in regulation even). Looking further ahead that team went 6-17-2 over its next 25 games.

Leading up to game 33, Edmonton had been wildly inconsistent. They had started 0-2, followed by an 8-2-1 stretch, followed by a 1-6-0 stretch before the 9-2-2 run.

The big difference so far this year is the poor stretches haven't been nearly as devastating from a win-loss-Bettman point perspective. Could they go 6-17-2 over the next 25 games. Possibly, especially when we look at the last 7 games. But overall, the team this year has at least shown to be be able to pick themselves off the mat before the knockout punch. We've got to hope they can continue to do it so that hockey is at least worth watching come March.

Another thing to consider when looking at last year's team at this same point in time, the playoff team in 2016 was 16-12-5 after 33 games, so they're most certainly not done for the year, but there's obviously a lots of work still to do.

Now Holland has to find what the magic ingredient to get the train it back onto the track. Last year, Chiarelli thought the answer was Petrovic and Manning. Hopefully, Holland can do something smarter than that, which shouldn't be hard considering how badly that went.

Reactions: Satire and Mez

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
His big off season job was to fix goaltednig and fix the bottom 6. He really has done neither. The glaring faults are there, the same ones as the last few years.
Explain to me what you expected to happen? He went after some FA's and lost out to other cities. He brought in almost a new bottom six that while still not scoring a ton has taken the special teams from bottom of the league to top of the league all while being completely up against the cap, and the team has been leading their division all season. He got rid of Lucic and his contract, he signed a serviceable backup in Mike Smith (yes the wheels have come off recently but the team isn't where it is without him this year),which in turn lessened Koskinens workload which seems to have helped him improve as well. He's properly letting the young prospects develop in the AHL which this organization hasn't done in 20 years. He has a bunch of salary coming off the books next year and instead of making hasty decisions and trading everyone away to try and make the playoffs in a year they clearly aren't going to win the cup unlike the last 15 years of management he has let the team run its course to properly evaluate how best to move forward this coming offseason, and he's completely stabilized the franchise in the process.

So again I ask, what the f*** else was he supposed to do to appease you in ONE OFFSEASON? It's a rhetorical question because the team was expected to be bottom of the league and instead they've been at the top all year, and you're still bitching. He hasn't failed at all, you just want to be argumentative and negative.

Last edited:
Reactions: TB12

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
No matter what ,we have Mcdavid and Draisatl on a team, they’re great enough to drag this team into the playoffs. You have to expect some layup games now , they’re ice time is crazy, they’re tired, but I believe they can pull it off.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Matheson should retire.

Although in all honesty, he's no worse than some of the fans on message boards and social media. What is it about Draisaitl that attracts so much hate? The guy is one of the best players in the NHL, and yes, he's clearly going through a slump, but what NHL player, elite or mediocre, doesn't experience a slump? Matthews is hot and cold over the course of a year, yet I doubt Toronto media and fans analyze every twitch of his moustache when he misses a pass or shot.

I wish people would let it go. Drat's clearly exhausted from overuse, but I guess that's too rational of a conclusion to attract clicks from the hordes of hate-hungry sheep.
Klefbom was arguably our best D until a couple of weeks ago, first in the league in TOI/GP and top 15 in pts for Ds.

It literally took one bad game to have him crucified by some posters on here. That was an ugly PGT if I ever saw one. A couple more now, with the added benefit of knowing he is playing through a minor injury, and most are back to previous season form in Klefbom bashing.

No player is above being critisized, but sometimes context is definitely required. Drai has been our best player up until a couple of games ago, and is playing 1-2 mins more per game than any other fwd (edit: in the league). If he is slumping for a couple of games then let him, we all know what he is capable of and he'll be back. Let the others carry the loadfor a while.

Last edited:

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Click to the see the other four parts.

TL;DR - 1st line and 4th line doing well. Khaira and Gagner are the only forwards in the middle six who have shown a pulse over the last month.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
honestly it's not even about oilers fans being cynical anymore
we are more likely to be right predicting a loss than predicting a win
odds get greater when opposition is playing 2nd half of back to back, plays backup goalie, and have injuries to key players

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I didn't think last night was that bad. To me, the PK cost them the game. What happened in the third was ridiculous, and not indicative of how the Oilers have played the last two games.

The Oilers probably should have won last night, because they never should've been down 3-0 after the first. They kept up with a great 5on5 team for most of the game, and basically handed the game away due to a shitty PK and a couple of bad breaks. I think they should stick with the lines because I thought they worked, and just get back at it against Minnesota.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Matheson should retire.

That might be slight over-reaction... at least I interpret it as Matheson saying that one of our studs is frustrated (and looking tired... after skads of shifts... i.e. overuse).

We need to get these guys some help, I think we can all agree on that. (or can we?)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yes I do. We did it with with a relatively weaker team few years ago. We can absolutely do it. especially past the first round in a WEAK pacific division.

we care too much about futures. we've been doing this since 2010. I used to be on that boat too but i'm off that now.
The team a few years ago was no stronger than the current one and they over achieved by barely making it through one playoff round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad