Post-Game Talk: It’s beginning to look a lot like ****mas

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
13 goals and 11 assists in the second half of the season, including a big hat trick in San Jose. Are we talking about the same season?
I definitely think he was disappointing in 16/17, but considering the 17/18 and 18/19 seasons he was amazing. The three seasons prior to his first in Edm he had 47, 36 and 47 EV points, then he comes here and has a 25 EV pts season. PP production outweighed that, but still I think most were expecting much more at EV (I know it was brought up more than once in here).

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
honestly it's not even about oilers fans being cynical anymore
we are more likely to be right predicting a loss than predicting a win
odds get greater when opposition is playing 2nd half of back to back, plays backup goalie, and have injuries to key players

I think they win this one to be honest. They will come out hungry and crush out a couple of goals take their foot off the pedal and end up heading into the 3rd tied and then just barely eek out a win.

We'll probably lose the next 1-2 after this though.

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
it’s just the truth. They barely made the playoffs and barely made it through the first round. The team overachieved. The next season was essentially the exact same team and they were amongst the worst teams in the league...

What? We had 103 points and finished 2nd in the division. We finished 9 points clear of a wildcard spot. How exactly is that “barely making the playoffs”?

Did they overachieve? Yes, but don’t discount what they did because of the years afterwards.

Reactions: TB12 and LaGu

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
The team a few years ago was no stronger than the current one and they over achieved by barely making it through one playoff round.

I agree with this though I think they were a bit stronger on offense and a bit weaker on defense. We had Maroon and a productive Lucic at the time as well as a lukewarm Eberle. We definitely had a better top 6. Our defense was a lot worse though Sekera was amazing that season.

We over performed by a fair margin that season. We had a lot of swagger that year though and a better balance I think. I'm not sure we are there this season. Hopefully the team can kick this slump.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
it’s just the truth. They barely made the playoffs and barely made it through the first round. The team overachieved. The next season was essentially the exact same team and they were amongst the worst teams in the league...

How is 103 points barely making the playoffs? I get being a giant goober after a loss (I don't actually, but that's what 50% of people do on here), but they didn't barely make the playoffs or barely beat San Jose.

Reactions: TB12 and nabob

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I agree with this though I think they were a bit stronger on offense and a bit weaker on defense. We had Maroon and a productive Lucic at the time as well as a lukewarm Eberle. We definitely had a better top 6. Our defense was a lot worse though Sekera was amazing that season.

We over performed by a fair margin that season. We had a lot of swagger that year though and a better balance I think. I'm not sure we are there this season. Hopefully the team can kick this slump.
Sekera was awesome that year. He took a lot of flak for getting point shots blocked but he was a great all around Dman.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
What? We had 103 points and finished 2nd in the division. We finished 9 points clear of a wildcard spot. How exactly is that “barely making the playoffs”?

Did they overachieve? Yes, but don’t discount what they did because of the years afterwards.

my bad, had it confused with where they finished in 06.
When you make the playoffs as often as the Pilers it’s easy to confuse where they placed :sarcasm:

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
my bad, had it confused with where they finished in 06.
When you make the playoffs as often as the Pilers it’s easy to confuse where they placed :sarcasm:

Ah yes, yeah 2006 was a whole different animal.

That was overperformance to a tee. In fact Roloson, Hemsky, Pisani and Pronger made that team in spite of some questionable coaching from MacT. Hell I still remember when he had a designated backup goalie that could only play in the shootout.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad