It’s been a joint effort - FIRE BOTH OF THEM

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
To me the biggest issue here is that there is clearly a major disconnect between the general manager and head coach - which only adds fuel to the fire that the Sutter hiring was an ownership decision. The GM has absolutely no say in how these players are being utilized.

Treliving has certainly not been perfect - and I think it's a fair argument to make that his time here has run it's course, but he's a good (not great) gm, in a league that is full of idiots. I certainly think we could do a lot worse, and probably will if ownership has it's way. That's my concern with Brad moving on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

SlovakFlame

Nov 14, 2022
The only consistent thing in this season is Flames´ inconsistency. We should have traded at least two players with contracts to the end of 2024 at the trade deadline for prospects and picks. Now I really believe they both should go.

14 OT losses are a tragedy, winning half of them would place us near the playoff spot. I believe it is a problem of coaching as well.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
This team doesn’t mesh with the coach. Don’t run it back hoping Markstrom plays like an average goaltender. Either make some big moves (IE Hanifin) or fire the coach. Don’t run it back and expect something better. That’s my two cents.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If Darryl Sutter becomes the GM, the funny thing will be, both times he left, the Flames needed to rebuild.

I think Darryl Sutter will be the GM, I say this because we have not heard anything about a Brad Trevling extension or anything out of Brad Trevling regarding his future with the Flames.

This is how I see the future for the Calgary Flames:

2023-24 Darryl Sutter becomes the GM and hires his coach. We spin our wheels in the mud and snow, unable to get out

2024-25 We spin our wheels in the mud and snow, unable to get out

2025-26 We spin our wheels in the mud and snow, unable to get out

2026-27 We spin our wheels in the mud and snow, unable to get out

2027-28 Darryl Sutter leaves or is fired

2028-29 The Flames organization is forced into a rebuild and that rebuild lasts 4-5 years.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I would show Treliving the door and give Sutter the first 20 games of next season

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't hate this team, I've said it a while ago... but man, Mangiapane falling off the map. Huberdeau producing at half the rate y.o.y. Markstrom being a sub 900 goalie. Kadri and Lindholm having average 2C type years... Toffoli leading this team in points... Just like, everything that could have gone wrong, went incredibly wrong.

Not much you can do here. This team is handcuffed with contracts, and the ones expiring are the ones that you win championships with... and the ones that have multiple years left are the anchors that'll hurt you long term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this team essentially tinker and run it back in 2023-24; with Coronato in the lineup, with Pelletier a full-timer... Seems like it's just par for the course of being a fan of this team. I'm very hockey has been a non-factor for me this year, or else I'd have been really in a bad spot.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't hate this team, I've said it a while ago... but man, Mangiapane falling off the map. Huberdeau producing at half the rate y.o.y. Markstrom being a sub 900 goalie. Kadri and Lindholm having average 2C type years... Toffoli leading this team in points... Just like, everything that could have gone wrong, went incredibly wrong.

Not much you can do here. This team is handcuffed with contracts, and the ones expiring are the ones that you win championships with... and the ones that have multiple years left are the anchors that'll hurt you long term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see this team essentially tinker and run it back in 2023-24; with Coronato in the lineup, with Pelletier a full-timer... Seems like it's just par for the course of being a fan of this team. I'm very hockey has been a non-factor for me this year, or else I'd have been really in a bad spot.

Mangiapane is where he always have been, last year he had a flash in the pan career high, just like a lot of Flames players.

In Florida Huberdeau had one of best centers in the game(Barkov) to play with and he took full advantage of that, the Flames don't have that.

Kadri and Lindholm are 2nd line centers, so they are where they should be.

Markstrom is an average goalie.

This team has secondary pieces, they don't have anything that challenges for a championship team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hope y'all are ready for Treliving walking and Sutter being promoted.
I've been ready since the extension. Bring it on! Also head coach Kirk Muller. And Craig Conroy walking to the Leafs.

It's the darkest timeline, we just have to embrace it.

Is there a Kris Chucko 2.0 in the 2023 mid first round?
I'm hopeful that Button and his team will be allowed to do their job, at least in the first round.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I've been ready since the extension. Bring it on! Also head coach Kirk Muller. And Craig Conroy walking to the Leafs.

It's the darkest timeline, we just have to embrace it.

I'm hopeful that Button and his team will be allowed to do their job, at least in the first round.

I don't know what to do or what side to take. Hello friends!!!

Tim Ramholt over Bergeron or Weber! (Seriously, Weber would be a Sutter favourite type, wtf happened there?)

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
In Florida Huberdeau had one of best centers in the game(Barkov) to play with and he took full advantage of that, the Flames don't have that.

Barkov wasn't Huberdeau's centre last year though. Bennett was. All of the centres that Hubs gets to play with are at Bennett's level.

It seems like more of a systems thing to me. Huberdeau was in Florida his whole career, and they played a certain way. I'm of the opinion that Quenneville's system was basically just carried forward by Brunette.

I really think he'll figure himself out here during this contract.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I’m not worried about Huberdeau. He’s too talented to keep sucking.

Kadri on the other hand… uh oh

This team will be different next year. Wolf will change things. I truly believe that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I’m not worried about Huberdeau. He’s too talented to keep sucking.

Kadri on the other hand… uh oh

This team will be different next year. Wolf will change things. I truly believe that.

I just realized that Treliving basically turned Kanzig + 6th into 4 games of Lack, 20 of Prout and Dustin Wolf.

He turned the Ritchie bros from trivial to trivia for free.

He salvaged the Hamilton and Tkachuk situations in an unexpected and resounding manner.

Baertschi for the pick that gave us Andersson.

I feel like he finds really Damn good deals for mucking around in a sandbox and he can randomly get something from nothing. But demand he build a sandcastle to someone else's specifications, it'll crumble, even if it looks good at first.

TBH, the strange irony could be that he's probably the best GM out there for trading the way out of our mess of a situation, if it were to get to that point.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
Ok when do the Flames ownership secretly admit they missed the playoffs and start to plan out potential changes or has it happened already. I would even be ok with extending Treliving if it means that they will NOT try Sutter as GM or even POH again.
Will they see the writing on the wall tonight if all 3 of these happen tonight?
1) Flames Lose to Vegas even in OT
2) Jets beat the Bruins
3) Preds beat the Hawks
or will it also take
4) Kraken beating the Sharks tonight.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Vladar's the cap casualty because NMCs and the only signed blue-chip prospect

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Barkov wasn't Huberdeau's centre last year though. Bennett was. All of the centres that Hubs gets to play with are at Bennett's level.

It seems like more of a systems thing to me. Huberdeau was in Florida his whole career, and they played a certain way. I'm of the opinion that Quenneville's system was basically just carried forward by Brunette.

I really think he'll figure himself out here during this contract.

This is what makes the whole situation mind boggling. Even the unwashed fans can tell that:

- Huberdeau was benefitting from the run-and-gun style in Florida; and
- Sutter's teams are the polar opposite of run-and-gun

and piece it together. Yet the wizard didn't see it coming.

Not to mention for all their faults Bennett drove the net, hunted down pucks and created space for Huberdeau and Duclair could one time his passes. Something Huberdeau's linemates here aren't capable of doing.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think our problems on the management side started years ago.

We wined and dined our superstars like twits compared with how contending clubs treat their superstars. Brad not even talking to Johnny's management group until training camp during his previous contract negotiations; then leaving it until the final year of the contract to pretend that they cared about his re-signing. Tkachuk got similar last minute fawning during his final year. Sutter had them playing Dallas like it was 1984 leaving nothing for Edmonton (the year or novel, whichever); mind-melting weirdness in his coaching methods throughout his tenure prior.

Then you have the treatment of anyone under the age of 29 who isn't a goon/has-been (outside of Toffoli, a former player for the coach). Kill confidence, kill careers seemed to be the MO. Jarnkrock running around like a scared bunny-rabbit for a quarter season plus ploffs without a goal let alone 2-pass-plays spoke volumes about instilled confidence. Heck even talk weird to the media about your new big name guys.

Oh hey then there was not trading Brodie and Monahan years earlier, while saddling your superstar with one of those 2 for seasons too long. And how about not protecting Gio? The list is endless.

What a blender.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iggys Dome

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
🤪🤪🤪go figure the jets beat the preds in OT. They get 2 the preds get 1 and the preds will still have 3 games in hand over the Flames

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Treliving has run this team into the ground. Bring in a GM that will move some veterans at draft. Not surprising considering he came from that wildly successful Arizona franchise. Did Burke even interview anyone else nine years ago??

Reactions: Tofveve and MM917

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
People are blaming Treliving for a lot of the teams faults, which is fair, he's been the GM for a decade now and we've done nothing as a team. HOWEVER, he still has to listen to the owner. If the owner(s) says to keep going for it, he can't just trade a bunch of guys for draft picks and tank the team, he'll be fired right away. I don't think he has the leash to go through another rebuild (even though our rebuild was half assed AF) so he keeps trying to go for it which is just making us San Jose 2.0, except they were consistent playoff teams who actually made a final.

Flames front office needs a complete overhaul except for amateur scouting. Pro scouts can also go. And Murray Edwards needs to let the team truly suck, enough of this 9th place, 16th overall pick BS.

Reactions: Fig and Mitts

Cant Kick On 1 Foot

Nov 22, 2006
Fire Huberdeau too…. Float float float float float float float… like, blame the coach all you want, but at least show some inspiration in your stride. All these excuses that it’s the coaches fault is so childish. Make a f’n play on the PP, or something… or sit in the press box and let some prospect show how to play with some inspiration.

Reactions: MM917

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad