It’s been a joint effort - FIRE BOTH OF THEM

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
What a debacle. Enough excuses for either the coach or the GM. Cup winner, blah, blah, blah, hardest working GM, blah, blah, blah. The coach sucks in a 2023 NHL. The GM doesn’t have enough talent on the NHL team, no cap space next year, one of the lowest rated prospect systems and can’t find a coach in nine years. This game was the final straw for me.

Reactions: Tofveve

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No one on here is disagreeing. Both have wrecked this team for years to come.

Cp on the other hand will tell you sutter has cups and won the Jack Adams and Reddit will tell you Brad is a top 5 gm because he didn’t buy out Martin St. Louis. Delusion

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I have avoided these hang em high threads all season but there is clearly an issue within the leadership of this team . Paying 10.5 million next year for a guy who is struggling to hit 50 points this year is a cap issue for sure and he is not alone , 6 million for a meh goalie who looks great when it doesn't t matter but is garbage when it does is another cap issue so is 4.5 for a 33 Year old D man who is defensively week . Time to retool this group with younger , hungrier ELC guys . Change starts with the management group and works down to the ice .

Sorry for the double post

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
The core of this team was Johnny and Matthew, and them leaving royally f***ed the franchise. They were replaced on the fly by older, veteran stars. Hot take here: Huberdeau should have been able to adapt to Darryl. Darryl isn't an Xs&Os coach. Huberdeu should have been able to do his thing within this system. A 1.02 ppg forward over the last 5 season who now can't crack 50 points is mind boggling, and even though there's literally a pitchfork torch mob outside Darryl's house now, and I'm not going to be defending him, I don't think even he - the offense neutering dinosaur - could do this to Huberdeau. We'll know for sure once he's gone and see what a new coach can do. Either way, this has been a bad year, and Tre and Darryl probably won't survive this time.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The core of this team was Johnny and Matthew, and them leaving royally f***ed the franchise. They were replaced on the fly by older, veteran stars. Hot take here: Huberdeau should have been able to adapt to Darryl. Darryl isn't an Xs&Os coach. Huberdeu should have been able to do his thing within this system. A 1.02 ppg forward over the last 5 season who now can't crack 50 points is mind boggling, and even though there's literally a pitchfork torch mob outside Darryl's house now, and I'm not going to be defending him, I don't think even he - the offense neutering dinosaur - could do this to Huberdeau. We'll know for sure once he's gone and see what a new coach can do. Either way, this has been a bad year, and Tre and Darryl probably won't survive this time.

I think its a bit of both. A lot of it is on Huberdeau. However, the guy was playing on his off wing for like half the season. The coach finally moved him back and all of a sudden he looks dangerous again.

Sutter deserves criticism for not fixing something so obvious quickly.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think its a bit of both. A lot of it is on Huberdeau. However, the guy was playing on his off wing for like half the season. The coach finally moved him back and all of a sudden he looks dangerous again.

Sutter deserves criticism for not fixing something so obvious quickly.

Confidence matters. See Jeff skinner in bufffalo

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Pretty hilarious that this roster is capped out

Will be super fun to watch GMDS trade Huberdeau+Ruzicka+Kylington+Pelletier for Anderson & Gallagher

Reactions: Ace Rimmer

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

This always makes me laugh like we didn't just see most of the team hit career highs last season. How quickly everyone forgets.

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
I came to post about that stat killing thing too.... Like people are so short sighted. No wonder we don't have coaches for long periods of time. Fans shit on them after one bad season, even tho they won the Jack Adams last year and had the team playing very well.

I don't get it. Everyone was also all way to go Brad when he made the moves, and now they aren't working out shits on him too.

When the trade was made a few people wanted to flip and rebuild, but the majority said the trade was shit unless we resigned them.

There is legit no winning with fans around here, its frankly, embarassing. I hate on the Canucks because when I lived there the fans were f***ing horrible. From "OUR TEAM IS AMAZING" to "WE LOST 5 IN A ROW TRADE THE SEDINS AND LUONGO" and this was in 2009/2010

Maybe for a minute just assume these professionals maybe know wtf they are doing and have some goddamn faith. Imagine if the Blues would have traded everyone in 2019 when they won the cup or whatever year that was.

• Haha
Reactions: super6646

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I came to post about that stat killing thing too.... Like people are so short sighted. No wonder we don't have coaches for long periods of time. Fans shit on them after one bad season, even tho they won the Jack Adams last year and had the team playing very well.

I don't get it. Everyone was also all way to go Brad when he made the moves, and now they aren't working out shits on him too.

When the trade was made a few people wanted to flip and rebuild, but the majority said the trade was shit unless we resigned them.

There is legit no winning with fans around here, its frankly, embarassing. I hate on the Canucks because when I lived there the fans were f***ing horrible. From "OUR TEAM IS AMAZING" to "WE LOST 5 IN A ROW TRADE THE SEDINS AND LUONGO" and this was in 2009/2010

Maybe for a minute just assume these professionals maybe know wtf they are doing and have some goddamn faith. Imagine if the Blues would have traded everyone in 2019 when they won the cup or whatever year that was.

Management that has had a decade to put together a winning team and failed and probably ruined this decade of contention too as a result of terrible asset management.

A coaching staff that produced boring, uneventful hockey that isn’t winning.

We’ve been more than patient with mediocrity. Over 30 yrs

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
This always makes me laugh like we didn't just see most of the team hit career highs last season. How quickly everyone forgets.

Cool. I can point to one season where Jonathan Cheechoo was the best goal-scorer in hockey, too, or when Bob Hartley won the Jack Adams and was subsequently fired the season after for missing the playoffs and hasn't sniffed an NHL job since as well.

History largely infers that Sutter doesn't have the ability to get the most out of his rosters offensively. One season where the top line completely carried the team doesn't change that. The guy is on pace to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in his last 6 seasons as a head coach and people are still acting as if his approach to the game and strategies are relevant and successful in a much higher scoring, skill prioritized league. This isn't 2013 anymore.

This team has five more wins than Arizona, three more wins than Montreal, and one more win than the Canucks, and people are curious as to why there are criticisms and frustrations being voiced to those in charge? Really?

Bert Mckrakken

Jul 23, 2021
Edmonton
Cool. I can point to one season where Jonathan Cheechoo was the best goal-scorer in hockey, too, or when Bob Hartley won the Jack Adams and was subsequently fired the season after for missing the playoffs and hasn't sniffed an NHL job since as well.

History largely infers that Sutter doesn't have the ability to get the most out of his rosters offensively. One season where the top line completely carried the team doesn't change that. The guy is on pace to miss the playoffs for the 4th time in his last 6 seasons as a head coach and people are still acting as if his approach to the game and strategies are relevant and successful in a much higher scoring, skill prioritized league. This isn't 2013 anymore.

This team has five more wins than Arizona, three more wins than Montreal, and one more win than the Canucks, and people are curious as to why there are criticisms and frustrations being voiced to those in charge? Really?
Clearly Sutters system worked last year. Same system.

Its not the Coaches fault the players aren't performing.
Its not the Coaches fault that Markstrom hasn't been right since the Oilers series.

Tre made the most out of a shit situation, it hasn't worked out. Everyone was like "HOLY SHIT" when he got the return he did for Chucky. Realistically mangement wouldn't have let him or any other GM for this team actually rebuild, which is why he took that offer and extended those guys. Which any GM would have done as well.

Reactions: Haatley

BRobMint

Formerly known as Hockey Ninja
Apr 24, 2013
Cleveland, OH (Grew up in Calgary)
No one on here is disagreeing. Both have wrecked this team for years to come.

Cp on the other hand will tell you sutter has cups and won the Jack Adams and Reddit will tell you Brad is a top 5 gm because he didn’t buy out Martin St. Louis. Delusion
With how Valimaki is playing in Arizona, that pretty much his Marty St. Louis mistake

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I don't think anybody is curious why there is criticism.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Clearly Sutters system worked last year. Same system.

Its not the Coaches fault that Markstrom hasn't been right since the Oilers series.

Tre made the most out of a shit situation, it hasn't worked out. Everyone was like "HOLY SHIT" when he got the return he did for Chucky. Realistically mangement wouldn't have let him or any other GM for this team actually rebuild, which is why he took that offer and extended those guys. Which any GM would have done as well.

Not trying to condescend, but there is a lot more to unpack in regards to coaching than just the system. Yes, it's the same system employed as last year. I don't think I've really seen too much complaining about the system.

What has changed, because the players are different, is deployment. Sutters' deployment of this teams players is a different conversation than his deployment of last years players.

It's not at all contradictory to feel his deployment choices last year were smart, while this year they are not.

Reactions: Janks

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Not trying to condescend, but there is a lot more to unpack in regards to coaching than just the system. Yes, it's the same system employed as last year. I don't think I've really seen too much complaining about the system.

What has changed, because the players are different, is deployment. Sutters' deployment of this teams players is a different conversation than his deployment of last years players.

It's not at all contradictory to feel his deployment choices last year were smart, while this year they are not.
Yup. Lucic's deployment hasn't really changed from last year, but it is very puzzling why Darryl decided to play Huberdeau 16 mins, when he has always been and should be a 19 min a night forward.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lolwut

It's literally the coaches job to get players to perform and execute. And if they can't, they're replaced with some who can - that's, again, literally how the whole profession works.

Honestly, some of the mental gymnastics around what coaches do is ******* bizarre.

Reactions: HighLifeMan

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I think Michael Caine explained it best in the Dark Knight, Treliving was hammered to the point of desperation, and in his desperation, he turned to a man he didn't fully understand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad