News Article: It’s Official: We have one of the worst fan bases in the league

Theridion

May 11, 2002
Orange, CA
The NHL is to blame. The lockouts & strike hurt the fan base. The Ponda was selling out in the 90's/early 00's. Continual lockouts & labor strikes, casual people lose interest.

Strike turned me off after being a full time fan and ticket holder. Only the resurgence of Selanne caught my attention in the news and returned me to the sport.

I have friends who never came back.

20Duck

Nov 22, 2008
Honestly, who gives a ****? I'm not a Ducks fan because of anyone else. Might as well be a bandwagoner if I cared.

DigitalSea

Thank you Landon
Jun 13, 2011
Anaheim, CA
Yes more money into the arena. The concessions are complete garbage and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm not sure how much of that is him and how much is Honda Center but I know for a fact we're at the bottom of the league when it comes to food, and that's a big part of the experience for casual fans who go to games just to be on their cell phones the whole time

They tried to offer me RC cola the other night..

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
The music at Honda is absolutely horrible... and yeah, that lame "let's go duuucks" chant is about as exciting as watching a slug.

The chant is sooooo bad. I wouldn't even participate when I was a season ticket holder. No thanks.

How is that chant supposed to create energy?

Dirk316

Nov 8, 2004
St Petersburg, Fl
Ive said it a million times, they should have changed the stupid name. Taking out "Mighty" still left the association to the Disney movies. Hockey is a manly type sport and nothing says rugged like a rated g disney movie

Italian President

Aug 13, 2012
Whatever. Fanbases of massive teams like Montreal, Toronto or Boston are just terrible to deal with in person. I'm from Vancouver and cheer for the DUcks

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Honestly, who gives a ****? I'm not a Ducks fan because of anyone else. Might as well be a bandwagoner if I cared.

Some of the teams future depends on getting casual fans to care and spend money on the team.

It's always going to be a topic of discussion. Are they at risk of being relocated right now? No, not really. But they're hardly the epitome of stability in the league right now...bottom of the league in attendance, poor TV ratings, owners losing money annually (even when we make it to the WCF). They're in a better place than they were before but they have to keep marketing better and coming up with new ways to get people interested if they want to expand on their fanbase

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Doesn't surprise me we're on that list. It's obvious to see at the game who knows whats going on and is engaged and who's only there because they were looking for something to do or got tickets from a friend.

As stated before, the growth of the SoCal hockey leagues setup by the team all they do in the community will have an impact. I think we are very close to seeing a huge wave of new (not bandwagon) Ducks fans coming into the picture because of that.

Even if it s our rivals to the north that have won more cups, it still can create a wave of hockey fans throughout the entire area because of just how close the two teams are. I have a real good buddy who was not a hockey fan in the slightest, but watched the Finals with me in 2014 and after that he decided to become a hockey fan. He chose to support the Ducks. I realize that is just one example but it is something that I think is a benefit of at least one of the two SoCal teams winning championships.

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
Well start a new one

Oh we've tried. It's not easy when your group gets drowned out by those who just instinctively start chanting the most recognized chant. I would chant a lot more if our chant wasn't so embarrassing. Now, with that said, if the majority enjoy our current chant then I'll be the silent minority and save my voice. I usually lose it before the end of the first period when I'm trying to get chants going lol.

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Oh we've tried. It's not easy when your group gets drowned out by those who just instinctively start chanting the most recognized chant. I would chant a lot more if our chant wasn't so embarrassing. Now, with that said, if the majority enjoy our current chant then I'll be the silent minority and save my voice. I usually lose it before the end of the first period when I'm trying to get chants going lol.

what other chants have you tried? Im curious

SoCalHockey

Jun 11, 2010
what other chants have you tried? Im curious

Usually just 'Let's Go Ducks' based on the beat they play 5-6 times a night. We've tried 'Go, Ducks, Go' as well but not nearly as often. Usually we were able to get 'Let's Go Ducks' rolling but the next chant started by someone else would always be the one we are all use to. Not a fan of the chant so I don't generally participate.

I can't imagine the current chant actually sounds energetic to anyone?

Ducks Ahoy

Effort = overrated
Jun 9, 2013
Orange County
Usually just 'Let's Go Ducks' based on the beat they play 5-6 times a night. We've tried 'Go, Ducks, Go' as well but not nearly as often. Usually we were able to get 'Let's Go Ducks' rolling but the next chant started by someone else would always be the one we are all use to. Not a fan of the chant so I don't generally participate.

I can't imagine the current chant actually sounds energetic to anyone?

It doesn't at all. "Lets go DUUUUuuucks" sounds weak and soft.

Just "Lets go Ducks." keep it like that. Its short and firm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad