News Article: It’s Official: We have one of the worst fan bases in the league

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
Forbes just came out with a list of the least engaged fans in the league, and we are on it: http://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2015/11/24/the-nhls-least-engaged-fans/. The study took a pretty comprehensive approach trying to correct for such things as bandwagon fans and overcapacity figures.

Specific to the Anaheim Ducks it adds: “Ratings on Prime Ticket are third lowest in the league. Even taking into account the two-team LA market the Ducks still only capture under 6% of the area's population on social media. Per Nielsen Scarborough it is second to last in terms of local fans who identified as having watched, attended or listened to a game.”

I know a lot of you will blame this season’s performance but I believe the time period includes last year. Additionally there are plenty of other teams that are not successful, in non-traditional markets, and have not made this list (ie Sharks).

I honestly think we have it good relative to other hockey markets in terms of ticket prices, performance (number of playoff appearances), and investment in community (http://ducks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=789278), so it’s unfortunate the fan base here in Orange County is lacking.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I do think the Ducks fan base spreads a bit further than some teams. When I go to Ducks games in Toronto or Ottawa, I see a ton of Ducks jerseys running around. I know some of the American teams don't have true fans scattered around the continent (and world) as much as we do.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
:(

Perhaps not all that shocking. It would be cool to see the Pond sold out more often, and the crowd perhaps a little more into the game. And louder.

I'd go to every single home game if I could.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but would there be any relocation concerns if we were to suck for ~3 years?

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Cup win aside (which mostly developed bandwagon not long term fans), Anaheim is paying the price for basically doing nothing to grow the brand and just relying on being a novelty until the ownership change. Have to think the Ducks will eventually see returns on their investments into youth hockey and hockey in general in SoCal. They're in a much better position now then they were 10 years ago at least.

Perhaps a bit off topic, but would there be any relocation concerns if we were to suck for ~3 years?
I wouldn't worry about it as long as the current ownership is in place barring a financial disaster for them.

Look how hard the NHL has fought to keep Arizona - which hasn't exactly done much in the NHL. Then consider a Stanley Cup winner has never relocated in the modern era, and only one team with 20+ seasons has ever relocated (North Stars).

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
:(

Perhaps not all that shocking. It would be cool to see the Pond sold out more often, and the crowd perhaps a little more into the game. And louder.

I'd go to every single home game if I could.

Only time relocation would be a concern is if Samueli's sold the team. If we sucked we just go back to a low budget team and they'd keep using the ducks as a "charity" as they call it

Edit: and I think the reason for the crowd at Honda center is the staff could do a lot better in getting us engaged. Posting the same 3 words Lets go Ducks won't do anything. Now I think the watch parties and such have been a huge success, but the PR could do a lot better.

Last edited:

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
not surprising at all

ducks fans at HC are not really "involved" much compared to other teams. the team is doing tons to grow the game in the area which is very cool and will definitely lead to a growth in the fanbase but it doesn't help that the kings will always be the larger fanbase too.

we have it good in terms of ticket prices and arena accessibility. not to mention the on ice product has been pretty successful for a team that's only been around 22 years

snowave

Jan 7, 2012
Idaho
The music at Honda is absolutely horrible... and yeah, that lame "let's go duuucks" chant is about as exciting as watching a slug.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Don't take anything Forbes says seriously as it's stuff like this that not only contributes to the divide between other fanbases but also the bad apples in any fanbase will look to use this garbage from Forbes to cause trouble towards other fanbases.

Also, others will argue that one doesn't have to buy anything associated with a team in order to be a real fan.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
As long as the Ducks aren't on the verge of relocation, I'm not worried. I've been to a good deal of NHL arenas and I believe the Ducks are one of, if not the best value for seats in the league. Can't complain about that.

Also, both Southern California NHL teams have always had bad TV viewership % figures, although I'm sure the Kings have benefitted somewhat from their recent Cup successes.

I think the Ducks are now doing a decent job of growing their brand now, especially within Orange County. I would like to see ownership commit to spending to the cap for a few years though - another Cup run is about the best thing you can do to capture potential new fans attention.

tANNERRRR54

Sep 12, 2012
Southern California
Why is anyone surprised? Look at where this team is located. There are two NHL teams within 30 minutes of each other. And Orange County is substantially smaller in population than LA. If we had one team in the area like the Sharks have, the fan base would be massive. We just have it split between two teams and we just happen to be in the smaller area.

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
Don't take anything Forbes says seriously as it's stuff like this that not only contributes to the divide between other fanbases but also the bad apples in any fanbase will look to use this garbage from Forbes to cause trouble towards other fanbases.

I don't think it's garbage. This is not some journalist writing an opinion based on his or her observations. It looks like they tried to do a relatively comprehensive study examining a variety of data points available (TV ratings, sales, attendance, social media, etc.) and trying to correct for biases (bandwagon, overcapacity numbers, etc).

Not saying that it's a 100% accurate study but I wouldn't call it garbage.

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
The NHL is to blame. The lockouts & strike hurt the fan base. The Ponda was selling out in the 90's/early 00's. Continual lockouts & labor strikes, casual people lose interest.

Bender66

Send in the clowns
Oct 4, 2008
SoCal
We're number 1! We're number 1!

Honestly, couldn't care less. Just means less ****** bags at the games to ruin my experience at the Ponda.

Ramenbot

May 2, 2010
Burbank
Per Nielsen Scarborough it is second to last in terms of local fans who identified as having watched, attended or listened to a game.â€

Not really surprising. Driving around Orange County and just looking at people, I get a sense that very few of them have ever watched a hockey game in their lives. Or know what the Ducks are.

I know the Samuelis have spent a lot of money and time trying to promote the team and increase awareness. There's still this feeling that most OC residents are only tangentially aware that there's a pro hockey team near them. I don't know what can be done about that other than dropping a TON of money into marketing.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
We're number 1! We're number 1.

Haha, that was the first thing that popped into my head too!

The truth is a lot of fans at the HC aren't engaged. They sit like bumps on a log and don't clap, cheer or otherwise show much support for the team. Or they are on their phones, texting, playing games---I admit fall into this category about being on my phone �� ---I post here during the games. Maybe the Ducks in-game entertainment can do more to engage some of these people. And a lot of people in OC don't care about the Ducks. A friend of mine lives about five miles from the HC, but was practically oblivious about both Stanley Cup runs let alone what the team is doing during the regular season.

The Samuelis have been much better owners than Disney and are investing in the local community and in grassroots hockey, so hopefully this will start paying off. It might help for the Ducks to ramp up their other marketing and PR efforts. The watch parties, as someone has mentioned, and things like the tree lightings at the Tustin/Irvine Market Places, ADHSHL and their partnership with the Discovery Science center are good starts.

The NHL really hasn't done much to support the Ducks at all. Once they awarded the franchise to Disney, they did more to hinder the growth of the team instead of support it. There were marketing restrictions (the Mighty Ducks couldn't directly market/advertise the team outside of OC--not even in adjoining counties--for several years) designed to protect the Kings' market; the league hasn't awarded the team an ASG or draft even though they have given one or the other to new franchises in other non-traditional markets and to teams who are struggling with attendance; and the only reason why the Ducks played an outdoor game was because the kings won the Stanley Cup. As early as the season before the kings won their first cup, Bettman basically said the Ducks wouldn't be in an outdoor game anytime soon (he said this during one of the Ducks broadcasts).

Last edited:

BearFlag

Aug 12, 2013
Orange County, CA
Honestly, couldn't care less. Just means less ****** bags at the games to ruin my experience at the Ponda.

Really? I enjoy attending Ducks games at Ponda when there are a lot of Ducks fans cheering our team as opposed to tons of opposing fans or empty seats. It creates a more fun atmosphere. Additionally during playoff season I like seeing Ducks flags flying on cars and people discussing the team as opposed no one in town giving a ****.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Doesn't surprise me and honestly don't really care. Most of our fans are very casual and fair weather. When the team wins, the fans are here. When they don't then the arena will have about 85-90% capacity. It's how sports in general work in Southern California. Same goes for the Kings. Just look at them in the 2000s when LaBarbera was their starting goalie.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
TV ratings for markets like LA mean nothing. They take it as percentages of the entire available viewing audience. Obviously the ratings are going to be **** since there are 20x or 30x more people than in the smaller markets.

It's like in MLB when they say the Angels or Dodgers have terrible ratings, but they actually have significantly more viewers than most of the league.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I wouldn't mind the Ducks having a ridiculously rich owner that doesn't even give a **** about money at some point (like the Clippers and Dodgers have right now).

I like the Samueli's but I think it'd help our fan base if we had an owner willing to spend to the cap every year and put more $$$ into the arena, marketing, etc

Things are fine the way they are though, and we are absolutely not at risk for relocation. Florida and Arizona on the other hand...good lord, what a disaster that is. Those teams can barely get 10K to show up every night, and most nights their arenas are over half empty

perrygetzanother

Jun 14, 2014
somewhere nice
The conservative OC crowd will never be full of die-hard 20 somethings because its more of a family oriented culture. The ducks fanbase will never be like the kings fanbase, it just flat out will not ever happen. And I'm fine with that.

If that means that the team has insufficient support, then as much as I love em, I'd support their relocation to another market where they could get more market share. It's sad to think that they cant spend to the cap, yet still somehow contend. It's really a masterful job by GMBM to do what he's done with what he's had.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
I wouldn't mind the Ducks having a ridiculously rich owner that doesn't even give a **** about money at some point (like the Clippers and Dodgers have right now).

I like the Samueli's but I think it'd help our fan base if we had an owner willing to spend to the cap every year and put more $$$ into the arena, marketing, etc

Things are fine the way they are though, and we are absolutely not at risk for relocation. Florida and Arizona on the other hand...good lord, what a disaster that is. Those teams can barely get 10K to show up every night, and most nights their arenas are over half empty

More money into the arena? We just got a brand new addition, plus a scoreboard, plus building a new ice complex, and bought an AHL and moved them here. They spend enough money. I just think the marketing staff sucks.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
More money into the arena? We just got a brand new addition, plus a scoreboard, plus building a new ice complex, and bought an AHL and moved them here. They spend enough money. I just think the marketing staff sucks.

Yes more money into the arena. The concessions are complete garbage and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I'm not sure how much of that is him and how much is Honda Center but I know for a fact we're at the bottom of the league when it comes to food, and that's a big part of the experience for casual fans who go to games just to be on their cell phones the whole time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad