ISS TOP-30 2012 NHL Draft Prospects August

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I care to wager that Frk might make his way into the top10 playing with Mackinnon this year

unless he dramatically improves his skating this offseason and decides to back check no way he does imho.

Matt Dumba at 14 is probably gonna be somewhere around where the leafs pick... I want him. I'd love trouba too, hopefully he falls a little bit. Gonna be such an awesome draft, defense wise. 2012 will be like 2003, but instead of mostly stud forwards, it'll be stud defenseman.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Grigorenko is a bit of a surprise, but he does have the rare ability to slow a game down to his level. Yakupov, on the other hand, speeds to it up. Galchenyuk's status dropped a bit after a recent international tournament where he underperformed in most scouts' eyes. A lot of them wondered if he was riding on Yakupov's success a bit.

how did Galchenyuk underperform in most scouts eyes? what scouts would those be? from the majority of what I have seen from that tourney, Galchenyuk played very well and got solid reports. Galchenyuk, Nieves, and Silk were the only real threats they had on that team, it wasnt loaded like Canada. Galchenyuk didnt tear up the world, but Yakupov really didnt either.

and you do realize that this is an old list, and this list was made before the Hlinka tournament, so your theory of why Galchenyuk fell is completely false.

I dont care if Galchenyuk is rated #9, he will be higher from December on when it matters.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
In all likelihood, Collberg will suffer from too little exposure all season long. Will be a great pick because he won't likely be a full-time senior player, and therefore hurt his draft stock.

J20 is well scouted, he might miss out on some of the hype but a good year in juniors is better then a bench warming one in seniors. Scored a hat trick against Färjestad today, will be really interesting to see what his stat line is if he plays the whole season with the J20 team.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
how did Galchenyuk underperform in most scouts eyes? what scouts would those be? from the majority of what I have seen from that tourney, Galchenyuk played very well and got solid reports. Galchenyuk, Nieves, and Silk were the only real threats they had on that team, it wasnt loaded like Canada. Galchenyuk didnt tear up the world, but Yakupov really didnt either.

and you do realize that this is an old list, and this list was made before the Hlinka tournament, so your theory of why Galchenyuk fell is completely false.

I dont care if Galchenyuk is rated #9, he will be higher from December on when it matters.

You're right i watched all the games and Galchenyuk wasn't bad but he wasn't good aswell. Solid all around game but Nieves looked better at that tournament. You could see the skill but he tried too much by himself, trying to deke 3+ guys alone many times when their team was losing, you could see frustration when he took bad penalties because he lost the puck. He is still a mysterious to me. Was he disappointment? Yes he was, so was Grigorenko. It's the same question on Grigorenko, does he fair well without Kucherov? Galchenyuk didn't play very well he was average. Nieves and Masters were the best players from team USA and Kamaev was best from team Russia.

FC's ivan hlinka review:

http://futureconsiderationsdotca.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/12-eligibles-open-eyes-at-ivan-hlinka/

Last edited:

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
J20 is well scouted, he might miss out on some of the hype but a good year in juniors is better then a bench warming one in seniors. Scored a hat trick against Färjestad today, will be really interesting to see what his stat line is if he plays the whole season with the J20 team.

Well, let's say he performed well for Borås instead, or split time between Frölunda and the J20 roster, there would be more hype surrounding him than if he scored the hell out of the SuperElit. Of course scouts see him in the SuperElit, but not against as good competition and there will always be that little, little question mark in the corner about his play against seniors and some, especially North American, scouts will find it very odd that he isn't playing at a higher level if he is such a remarkable talent.

Come to think of it, it is odd. It's a waste. He's too good for another junior year.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Well, let's say he performed well for Borås instead, or split time between Frölunda and the J20 roster, there would be more hype surrounding him than if he scored the hell out of the SuperElit. Of course scouts see him in the SuperElit, but not against as good competition and there will always be that little, little question mark in the corner about his play against seniors and some, especially North American, scouts will find it very odd that he isn't playing at a higher level if he is such a remarkable talent.

Come to think of it, it is odd. It's a waste. He's too good for another junior year.

CHL? Allsvenskan? This kid can snipe.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
CHL? Allsvenskan? This kid can snipe.

Sounds like his intent is to stay with Frölunda and that Borås (which would be the most natural SEL-2 loan) is out of the question. With Viktor Backman there on loan now, might not be the worst idea, though, since Frölunda's got so many forwards signed who are ahead of him now.

Afro Thunder*

Looks like Ottawa will be draftin Stefan Matteau next June lol.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Sounds like his intent is to stay with Frölunda and that Borås (which would be the most natural SEL-2 loan) is out of the question. With Viktor Backman there on loan now, might not be the worst idea, though, since Frölunda's got so many forwards signed who are ahead of him now.

Yea, I rather not see him sent to to Borås at the moment (see Wallén last season). Backman will be a good guinea pig to see how their new coaching staff treats loaned out juniors. Until then he's fine where he's at now, Frölunda may have many forwards but my guess is at least one will be gone before the season starts, and then you have a whole bunch of injury prone guys so his chance will come.

Koto

May 3, 2011
Surprised by Grigorenko over Yakupov and by Galchenyuk so low. Just to know, does someone have their Top 30 of the 2011 Draft from August 2010 ?

i remember the top 5 had larsson, couturier 2 guys who went second round, and a guy who went 5th round

Kevin Malone

Jul 3, 2009
2012 Top NHL Draft Prospects

1. 6 Nick Ebert - Windsor
ISS

No way Ebert is #6. This kid is an absolute stud, the kind of player you build a team around. If he goes outside the top 3 I will be shocked. He has no real weak aspects of his game, which is why I think goes somewhere near the top.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I don't think Galchenyuk falls to 9, let alone out of the top 5. He is going to be something.

Oh, and Nail not #1? And it's not even Murray ranked ahead of him. It's the captain of the all-hype team.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that I was kidding to anyone who was about to jump down my throat.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
His skating is a bit better this year and he has shown that he is willing to back check so far in the pre-season.

Agreed. I've only seen him twice this year but his mobility has looked drastically improved. Kid might have the best shot in the Q and he looked like he was having a ton of fun playing with MacKinnon on Saturday.

Furthermore he made a nice diving play to knock the puck over the blueline and was backchecking like a fiend. If you watched him last year these were the issues with his game. If he can keep that level of intensity going all year he'll easily be back in the top 10.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
This seems to be a deep draft, I saw Ceci at the Team Canada World Junior Summer Camp, and he looked impressive there, and he's only at 28.

I get to see him on a weekly basis during the year, and do not see any other D in the draft with his combination of skating ability and size. Just not as physical as his size would indicate. Plus he needs to play at around a ppg pace.

pouskin74*

Hlinka Tour. isnt world cup and Yakupov played very well at U18.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad