ISS: Top 10 Prospects Not Playing in the NHL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
the problem is will there be space for him to play meaningful mins on the sens

is he going to beat out stone, da costa, puemple, pageau? hard to say he will but it really depends on how our teams looks after the deadline and summer

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
From everything we've heard from our management teamabout him already, they felt he probably could have played in the NHL this year. With the steep incline in his development this year, I don't think there's any doubt he will be with the Sens next year. Unless of course, there's an injury situation that results in a setback.

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation

is he going to beat out stone, da costa, puemple, pageau? hard to say he will but it really depends on how our teams looks after the deadline and summer

I wouldn't be too concerned since he looks like the type of player that could play 3rd line and gradually learn. He's a complete player, not a one-dimensional scorer (like puempul or da costa

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013

That's definitely a good point - our depth makes nearly impossible to just hand out NHL playing time (as we're seeing with Prince). And like you say we know how much the roster could change between now and next season so it's all up in the air right now.

But something tells me Lazar will find his way here next season. Maybe it's that adorable child-like smile Murray can never suppress when talking about him - the same one we saw when talking of a young Karlsson. Makes me think the old man knows something we don't.

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
But how is he going to build that strength spending another year dominating over weaker competition? If he's going to build himself up to the level of an NHL player he needs to experience that level of play. A year of battling along the boards vs NHLers or vs 16 year olds? A year of taking crosschecks and fighting for position in front of the net vs NHLers or vs the same competition he's seen for the past 4 years now?

Some players definitely need those extra years of intermediate competition (Kadri) but I 100% believe Lazar is not one of them.

......lazar could end up being steve yzerman.......or he could end up radek bonk.....the former seems more likely with this kid...

he doesnt need another year......

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
My guess is that if he is too young to be sent down to the AHL next yr then I think he is returned to junior after his 9 game stint & allowed to play in the WJC again.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Great to see the high ranking. He's a very exciting prospect for sure.

I don't really care if he makes it next year or not, either he does or he doesn't, it will all fall into place. People always want to speculate about the depth chart and who is ahead of who but so much will change between now and camp, and its up to him getting a chance to prove it and doing that.

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Lazar and his 35 goals in 48 games is second in the whl for g/gm. Also, at a quick glance, 30 of the 35 are at even strength and 9 of his goals are game winner's. Impressive stuff.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
......lazar could end up being steve yzerman.......or he could end up radek bonk...

"Radek Bonk" is a pretty damned good "floor" for a player's projection, IMO.

Defensively responsible #2 center who can score 20+ goals/year and pile up assists with some good linemates? Yes please.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Let me rain on this parade by saying Lazar is not a top 10 NHL prospect. Great player, probably a good chance he ends up being a solid top 6 guy with intangibles but this list stinks.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
Let me rain on this parade by saying Lazar is not a top 10 NHL prospect. Great player, probably a good chance he ends up being a solid top 6 guy with intangibles but this list stinks.

So besides raining on the parade what exactly is it with the list you disagree with? "The prospects eligible for the list require a birthdate no later than 1993 and can’t have any NHL experience." - people representing the ISS happen to think Lazar ranks third out of that group and even give a scouting report similar to yours. I think it's great praise from a respected source.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Its not a list for best prospects. There are some key restrictions to who is eligible for it

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

Defensively responsible #2 center who can score 20+ goals/year and pile up assists with some good linemates? Yes please.
Bonk was amazing.

His only problem was, he couldn't win faceoffs to save his life in Ottawa. I have fond memories of him losing the faceoff, then Hossa going in and winning it back.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Very few people around here seem to remember the defensively responsible 60-70 pts bonk that lead our team in scoring as a 23 year old, and was 2nd to Alfie the year we traded Yashin. He had a brief period where he was a very good player for us prior to being traded.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Very few people around here seem to remember the defensively responsible 60-70 pts bonk that lead our team in scoring as a 23 year old, and was 2nd to Alfie the year we traded Yashin. He had a brief period where he was a very good player for us prior to being traded.
He was also part of THE BEST PP lineup we've ever had.

Hossa-Bonk-Havlat
Alfie-Redden

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
But how is he going to build that strength spending another year dominating over weaker competition? If he's going to build himself up to the level of an NHL player he needs to experience that level of play. A year of battling along the boards vs NHLers or vs 16 year olds? A year of taking crosschecks and fighting for position in front of the net vs NHLers or vs the same competition he's seen for the past 4 years now?

Some players definitely need those extra years of intermediate competition (Kadri) but I 100% believe Lazar is not one of them.

You don't build up strength on the ice, you do it in the gym. Now, if the Sens gave him a really great summer and in-season training regimen that puts on a good 15 pounds of lean muscle without losing speed or agility, there's a chance next year. Otherwise, he needs time.

Patience.

PaGEEsBack

tell a friend
Aug 6, 2013
It's ultimately up to the Sens and their training staff, but I completely disagree with all of that.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm not sure he makes the team next year. 2015-2016 is a lot more realistic.

There's not many open spots at forward, and there's at least 3 or 4 candidates who are much older and much closer to Ottawa choosing them now or never. Combine that with the possibility of Ottawa adding a guy like Stewart with a year left on his deal, or a free agent.

Next season is Ottawa's last year with this incarnation of the team before they have to supposedly make some tough budget related choices. Unless he's just lights out in training camp, to the point where he'd be stealing a top 6 spot, it might be better to wait another season on him.

I'm not saying Lazar doesn't have the chance of out playing some of the guys fighting for those spots, but is it worth it to push Curtis Lazar into an open spot when there are now or never guys like Mike Hoffman who'll be 25 and an eventual UFA much sooner than Lazar?

ChabotToTrot

Jul 22, 2011
Ottawa
The thing that would make the most sense for next year would be to let him have his 9 game stint and then send him back to Junior unless he is absolutely tearing it up offensively and/or has the full confidence of the coaching staff. Even then, you look at what Winnipeg did with Scheiflie in the preseason two seasons ago; he came out scoring and putting up major points and they decided to send him down anyways.

Development in the Juniors is very good for players even if they are the best players on their team. And then he'll player another year in WJC and that will be yet another treat, hearing all the analysts drooling over him and saying he is the most complete player. I'm glad to see that Murray has said he is untouchable, means we have quite the player on the way :yo:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
......lazar could end up being steve yzerman.......or he could end up radek bonk.....the former seems more likely with this kid...

he doesnt need another year......

If Lazar turns into Bonk Id be thrilled.

Hopefully he has a little more compete though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad