ISS: Top 10 Prospects Not Playing in the NHL

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
1. Jonathan Drouin

Scout’s take: “Drouin tops this list not only because of his excellent skill set and dynamic explosive offensive ability, but also because of his situation,†says MacLean. “Few prospects fit as well with the current makeup of their organizational talent as Drouin does. He’s an electrifying playmaker who can enhance and amplify the skill sets of those around him. Tampa Bay has stockpiled a strong roster of young players capable of playing a high paced and quick transition style of play. Adding Drouin to the mix makes them one of the most potent young offensive teams in the league."

2. John Gibson

Scout's take: "Gibson is a tremendously poised goaltender who looks so comfortable in the net at times that you can tell he knows how frustrating he is to shoot against. Gibson dominates the crease and leaves his teammates with the confidence to be bold because they know he will shut the door if they make a mistake. Gibson’s biggest asset is how well he plays under pressure. It seems as though the bigger the game and the tougher the moment, the more likely he is to shine. His technical skill and athleticism won’t blow anyone away, but his technical understanding and mental makeup make him a star in waiting.â€

3. Curtis Lazar

Scout’s take: “Lazar is the type of player that turns a mediocre team into a contender. He’s a winner. He’s a very complete 200-foot player with excellent leadership qualities and a warrior’s mentality, Lazar can score, dictate the pace of a game, frustrate opponents and can play in any and all situations. He’s perhaps a surprise to be this high compared to some of the other higher profile names, but Lazar’s development continues to trend upwards and his work ethic continues to open up new levels for his game. He will work his way into any coach he plays for because of his heart and he is the model of how to be a successful player. Expect big things from this young man.â€

4) Teuvo Teravainen

5) Griffin Reinhart

6) Bo Horvat

7) Andrei Vasilevski

8) Darnell Nurse

9) Joel Armia

10) Scott Harrington

HM: Anthony Mantha

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...zar-lead-scouts-top-10-drafted-132446821.html

That is some high praise.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
IIRC Lazar was ranked top 5 prior to his draft year but fell due to his performance. He's tearing it up this year though. Excited for him!

He's already passed his point total from last year in like 20 less games.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good to see this and I agree we got quite the good 1 in Lazar, can't wait to see how he does when he gets to Ottawa.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I'm really glad Murray specifically said Lazar was untouchable.

Edit: Will he be playing in Binghampton next year?

SenatorArmy*

Why wouldn't he be in Binghamton? He's 19 years old already. Is he going to do another year of junior? And if so...why? So many questions

BigBush*

I see him making the team next year. The only way I see Ottawa becoming a contender in the next few years (3 years from now)is because Lazar takes over as the # 1C

SenatorArmy*

how is it he'll have to go back to junior, yet other players will play in the NHL at age 18

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
how is it he'll have to go back to junior, yet other players will play in the NHL at age 18

this would interest me too, people bandy about this truth with such confidence but i have to admit i'm ignorant to the rules

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
At 18-19 it's either NHL or junior. He has to be 20 to play in AHL. This rule exists to protect junior clubs from losing their players to AHL.

SenatorArmy*

ahh ok, makes sense, but do you suppose there's a chance he could crack the Sens roster next year?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
ahh ok, makes sense, but do you suppose there's a chance he could crack the Sens roster next year?

Most definitely.

He has the speed, physical makeup and IQ necessary to succeed in the NHL already.

However, remains to be seen if Ottawa feels like an extra year would be more beneficial for his development.

It could depend on how fast Lazar progresses from now until end of the year combined with how well Sens prospects progress as well. Especially the likes of Stone/Hoffman/Prince/Schneider.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

There's always a chance. I can see him making it a difficult decision for Murray & Maclean, for sure.

Thing is, his entry-level deal can "slide" another year next year, so he's going to have to REALLY knock the socks off of Murray/Mac to stick with the club, IMO.

SenatorArmy*

Most definitely.

He has the speed, physical makeup and IQ necessary to succeed in the NHL already.

However, remains to be seen if Ottawa feels like an extra year would be more beneficial for his development.

It could depend on how fast Lazar progresses from now until end of the year combined with how well Sens prospects progress as well. Especially the likes of Stone/Hoffman/Prince/Schneider.

There's always a chance. I can see him making it a difficult decision for Murray & Maclean, for sure.

Thing is, his entry-level deal can "slide" another year next year, so he's going to have to REALLY knock the socks off of Murray/Mac to stick with the club, IMO.

Is it possible the Sens are getting too deep at center? Suppose he makes the team next year. Who's the odd man out? Smith? Or do you play Z-bad on wing? Or Lazar on a wing?

SenatorArmy*

Isn't the plan to transition Lazar to the wing?

I don't know too much about him other than he's a center with a lot of potential. If he can play wing that's great. Especially because I'm not too hot on the idea of bumping any one of our 4 centers right now.

KA BLAMO

Aug 18, 2008
At 18-19 it's either NHL or junior. He has to be 20 to play in AHL. This rule exists to protect junior clubs from losing their players to AHL.

To play in the AHL you have to be 20 or you have to have played in 4 full junior seasons (which is why Ceci was playing in Binghamton this year at the age of 19).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I see him making the team next year. The only way I see Ottawa becoming a contender in the next few years (3 years from now)is because Lazar takes over as the # 1C

Whoa. He's going to be a good one, but he projects more to be a 2C. His skill level isn't quite where it needs to be to be a good 1C.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
To play in the AHL you have to be 20 or you have to have played in 4 full junior seasons (which is why Ceci was playing in Binghamton this year at the age of 19).

Well turn 20 by December 31st of the season/year you start playing. A player born in 1994 can start playing in the 2014-15 season. Lazar is Feb '95.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Lazar is our best junior prospect at the moment. I would hate to see the club ruin his progression by rushing him on to the team next season, but I'm not too worried because nothing the club has done with other young players makes me believe they will be anything but be patient with his development. I expect Lazar to come in and have a good camp, play 9 games or less if he is really outstanding, and then he will probably go back to junior. The only exception would be if he pulls a Monahan and plays so well against NHL competition that the club can't justify sending him back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad