Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Scott Mayfield (Two years, One way, 625K AAV)

Sorge Georos

Apr 28, 2009
LI
I agree. This could be our best D group since the early 2000's with KJ, AuCoin and Hamrlik.

1-8 with Mayfield/Pelech at 7/8 are solid and no more Strait.

We haven't had a chance to hate him yet lol

Even Gervais/Strait were praised here when they were rookies, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Mayfield.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The defense is the backbone of this team while Tavares is the tip of the sword. As danteipp has mentioned, we go 8 deep and 8 deep with quality - no more scrubs like Strait in the mix. If you consider all the factors, this group is probably the best we've had in decades with a little bit of everything. It's balanced too with 4 deep at either LD or RD, nice mix of youth and experience that is cost controlled.

Look around the league and so many teams are desperate to upgrade their defense group, Snow could sit back and avoid paying those ridiculous prices. Chiarelli got violated with no Vaseline once again in the Hall-Larsson deal, just like in the Reinhart deal. That's why I don't understand why people are so eager to unload a d-man like CdH... for yet another LW like JVR or a vag like Eberle.

The one thing this team is still missing is that #2 guy to Tavares. I expect a guy like Strome or Barzal to really show up in a big way these next two seasons. Looks like we are going to fix that problem "in house", but this time we may actually have an answer for it

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The one thing this team is still missing is that #2 guy to Tavares. I expect a guy like Strome or Barzal to really show up in a big way these next two seasons. Looks like we are going to fix that problem "in house", but this time we may actually have an answer for it

We have PAP :sarcasm:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Thankfully We Will Soon Add Ryan Suter And Nazem Kadri.

And If We're Lucky My GM Garth Snow Will Find A Way To Pry Ray Emery Away From The German Elite League To Split The Goaltending Duty With Thomas Greiss. Now All We Need To Do Is Convince Gary Bettman To Remove The Salary Cap.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
I really hope I'm wrong and please feel free to rub this is my face if I've proven wrong, but I've never been impressed with Mayfield. I just feel that he is one of those guys that gets overrated due to his size. And I would have liked to sign a vet as a backup to rotate in as the 7th guy. I don't know how Schelmko keeps falling through every crack in the league.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I have ZERO problem with this contract, but wondering why people think Mayfield has "earned" this contract, or better yet...A regular spot on the big club? The kid has all of 13 total NHL games (and limited minutes in most). He is so far from a finished project and hasn't shown't a quarter of a season yet.

Again I'm rooting for him and think he's good some talent, but I think that a couple of memorable shifts in game 7 vs the Caps last year's playoffs is making some fans think Mayfield is more ready/better than he actually is.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I really hope I'm wrong and please feel free to rub this is my face if I've proven wrong, but I've never been impressed with Mayfield. I just feel that he is one of those guys that gets overrated due to his size. And I would have liked to sign a vet as a backup to rotate in as the 7th guy. I don't know how Schelmko keeps falling through every crack in the league.

I tried my hardest to focus on him and Pelech during their pairing together in the Philly game and watching them box out the flyers top line was terrific. To be able to prevent people from getting into the slot and dirty areas without taking a penalty is awesome, was clean and hard.

Looking forward to that in the future.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
I'm psyched for this deal. Cheap, brings size and physicality when needed and I thought he did a pretty decent job in his limited action, particularly in Game 7 two years ago. Zero concern with him being our 7th and if he can progress in the skating department, could be a decent 6D.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I have ZERO problem with this contract, but wondering why people think Mayfield has "earned" this contract, or better yet...A regular spot on the big club? The kid has all of 13 total NHL games (and limited minutes in most). He is so far from a finished project and hasn't shown't a quarter of a season yet.

Again I'm rooting for him and think he's good some talent, but I think that a couple of memorable shifts in game 7 vs the Caps last year's playoffs is making some fans think Mayfield is more ready/better than he actually is.

He has put in three (3) full seasons in the AHL and, as someone who has watched him play with the BST, he has steadily improved each year. He has paid his dues and worked hard to get to the NHL. It is a nice story.

Worst case he is solid, cheap depth and brings some size and physicality. Best case, maybe he develops into a solid third-pairing type. He is cheap and not Brian Strait. He is the Isles 8th defensemen. Nobody is expecting Scott Stevens but hopefully he is a solid pro. If he can't cut it, the Isles will probably bring in someone else to fill the role.

The development of Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield allowed the Isles to trade Reinhart for Barzal and 1/2 of Beauvillier. Did I mention he is not Brian Strait? I think most fans are very realistic of the last player on the depth chart. And that last player is no longer Brian Strait. That by itself is good news.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'm higher on mayfield than most. 2 years dirt cheap. He will have 1 year remaining but be a RFA at the time of the expansion draft. Don't know if that affects anything.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
He has put in three (3) full seasons in the AHL and, as someone who has watched him play with the BST, he has steadily improved each year. He has paid his dues and worked hard to get to the NHL. It is a nice story.

Worst case he is solid, cheap depth and brings some size and physicality. Best case, maybe he develops into a solid third-pairing type. He is cheap and not Brian Strait. He is the Isles 8th defensemen. Nobody is expecting Scott Stevens but hopefully he is a solid pro. If he can't cut it, the Isles will probably bring in someone else to fill the role.

The development of Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield allowed the Isles to trade Reinhart for Barzal and 1/2 of Beauvillier. Did I mention he is not Brian Strait? I think most fans are very realistic of the last player on the depth chart. And that last player is no longer Brian Strait. That by itself is good news.

I think it also has to do with Mayfield being a Right handed d-man. If one of pulock, boychuk,or hamonic get hurt he will be really the only option. So my guess is Pelech starts the year at the ahl and if one of dehaan, leddy or hickey gets injured Pelech will fill in.

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
This is good for a few goals a game when you figure Strait was so costly. So, we can rest assured Mayfield will be able to help keep those goals away.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I am glad we kept Scott as a depth defender. I fore one like Mayfields game. Skating has steadily improved every year and the kid plays with a mean streak!

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I like this signing. He's a perfect #7 to play vs chippy opponents or on back to back days. Pulock and Pelech are better prospects so they should either be in the top 6 or getting regular AHL minutes.

sebsisles

Apr 25, 2013
Long Island
Think Mayfield can be the perfect #7, his size and defense first mentality are perfect for the 3rd pair. I wouldnt be surprised to see him slot in against bigger more physical teams. something like this,

Leddy Hamonic
Dehann Boychuck
Mayfield Pulock

if we want to keep 2 youngsters off the same pairing we can adjust. just my thoughts.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Think Mayfield can be the perfect #7, his size and defense first mentality are perfect for the 3rd pair. I wouldnt be surprised to see him slot in against bigger more physical teams. something like this,

Leddy Hamonic
Dehann Boychuck
Mayfield Pulock

if we want to keep 2 youngsters off the same pairing we can adjust. just my thoughts.

I think long term the plan would be

Leddy-Hamonic
CDH-Pulock
Pelech-Mayfield

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
I don't think pelech is as good as others see him. He's cut from a similar cloth as strait. Gives up the line easy, goes off the boards often instead of an outlet, but blocks shots well. I have higher hopes for mayfield.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Horrible signing! Strait was available and you let him go!!! SO UPSET with this management!!

Same thing about Yashin..talking about him maybe coming back for like 10 years and nothing happens!!!

:cool:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad