Staples Twitter: Isles Sign Scott Mayfield (Two years, One way, 625K AAV)

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Awesome, cheap number 7. Guy put his dues in the minors. Adds size and is a righty to boot.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Very surprised at the one-way. Guess he's staying with the big club this year.

I'm sort of surprised as well but in thinking about it they need a replacement for Zid at #7. He has to go on waivers I believe if he is sent down so this was the only reasonable thing to do: guarantee he gets NHL money and a roster spot for the next couple of years but make it cheap.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I had this pegged for a bit. Pelech doesn't need waivers so he's better off getting big minutes than sitting around. Put mayfield on a similar level as Mcilrath in that they never got to prove their worth at the NHL level but for cheap they get the one way deal. Mcilrath has a higher draft pedigree so he got the one year prove it and mayfield got the security of two but for cheap.

Good stuff.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Having to pay him .5M in the minors might be too much for other teams should he on end up on waivers. It probably won't, but it could.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I was always very high on Mayfield (though you guys probably thought I was just high). I like the way he plays the game, adds size and grit to the defense, and I think he's a very solid skater for his size. I guess the Isles are giving him a vote of confidence. I think we see a lot of Pulock, Pelech & Mayfield next year. All 3 with good size and some grit.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
I was always very high on Mayfield (though you guys probably thought I was just high). I like the way he plays the game, adds size and grit to the defense, and I think he's a very solid skater for his size. I guess the Isles are giving him a vote of confidence. I think we see a lot of Pulock, Pelech & Mayfield next year. All 3 with good size and some grit.

I agree. This could be our best D group since the early 2000's with KJ, AuCoin and Hamrlik.

1-8 with Mayfield/Pelech at 7/8 are solid and no more Strait.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
Glad it's a two year deal. For Mayfield it all comes down to whether he can keep up with the pace.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
As expected signing.
Thought maybe he would get a few more sheckels though.
He is at DEFCOM Strait pay level.

Time for him to take control,of his hockey future.
Injuries always happen. He could see 30-40 games.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Very surprised at the one-way. Guess he's staying with the big club this year.

I think the fact that he can't be sent down without being put through waivers played into this deal. I don't think he'd make it through waivers. Maybe the isles thought by giving him a one way, it may scare other teams away if a situation arose where they had to send him down.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Eight (8) deep on defense. It has been a long time coming but the depth and versatility is finally in the Isles system - at the NHL, AHL and juniors levels. I am very happy with players like Pulock, Pelech and Mayfield and the inexpensive depth and insurance they provide. No more Strait!!!

Fingers crossed that the Spoon and MVS continue to develop and Somerby signs after his college career concludes. He would be a welcome addition to the prospect pool since you cannot discount his size.

I am also interested to see what Kyle Burroughs has, if anything, and will keep an eye on him when I catch some BST games this year. If he could at least develop into a cheap, solid RH depth player down the line, that would be great.

I wish the Isles managed to snag another D prospect like Adam Fox in this past NHL draft, however, they just didn't have enough picks. That said, David Quenneville is a VERY interesting prospect, especially for a seventh rounder. Although it would be great if had a late growth spurt and added a couple inches in stature and packed on a few more pounds.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
This Isles defense is shaping up to look very nice.

Interesting thing is that with the exception of Hickey and Boychuk every defensemen on the team is either a prospect, or a player we traded a highly touted prospect for.

Looks like Snow's drafting ain't too shabby is that department.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This Isles defense is shaping up to look very nice.

Interesting thing is that with the exception of Hickey and Boychuk every defensemen on the team is either a prospect, or a player we traded a highly touted prospect for.

Looks like Snow's drafting ain't too shabby is that department.

The defense is the backbone of this team while Tavares is the tip of the sword. As danteipp has mentioned, we go 8 deep and 8 deep with quality - no more scrubs like Strait in the mix. If you consider all the factors, this group is probably the best we've had in decades with a little bit of everything. It's balanced too with 4 deep at either LD or RD, nice mix of youth and experience that is cost controlled.

Look around the league and so many teams are desperate to upgrade their defense group, Snow could sit back and avoid paying those ridiculous prices. Chiarelli got violated with no Vaseline once again in the Hall-Larsson deal, just like in the Reinhart deal. That's why I don't understand why people are so eager to unload a d-man like CdH... for yet another LW like JVR or a vag like Eberle.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00