Confirmed with Link: Isles Sign Julien Gauthier 2 years $787.5 AAV

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
The issue is a DeBrincat package made so much sense because Ottawa is actually looking for the type of depth veteran pieces we have troves of. Philly will want strictly futures. It’s a shame it couldn’t work out, but childhood team yada yada yada.

It’s nearly impossible to move out the kind of money we need to move out while simultaneously improving the team to where it needs to be to contend. It sucks, but that’s where we’re at.
I totally get what you are saying. But in the "proposed" deal, we are sending Wally and a 1st, right? Wouldn't that be close? maybe add in another spect.
I would move Parms then to Anaheim, or maybe Parms could be part of the deal to make the salary work out. Phily at the deadline then can turn around and sell Parm to a playoff team. Just thinking of different rosters. I just think Konceny fits our roster and system better.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
So we definitely have some work to do at F now because there's too many one way bodies.

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Holmstrom-Pageau-Fasching
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Wahlstrom
Gauthier
Johnston

Holmstrom is waiver exempt so they can put him in BRI if need be but there's still too many cooks in the kitchen

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Forward group is crowded. Don't think having both Ross and Martin both taking a 50 man roster spot is needed. Don't hate this signing, but who is moving on?

The Wahligator

Nov 27, 2015
Long Island
I totally get what you are saying. But in the "proposed" deal, we are sending Wally and a 1st, right? Wouldn't that be close? maybe add in another spect.
I would move Parms then to Anaheim, or maybe Parms could be part of the deal to make the salary work out. Phily at the deadline then can turn around and sell Parm to a playoff team. Just thinking of different rosters. I just think Konceny fits our roster and system better.
Wally has very limited value if any at this point. Maybe Philly likes him and wants to take a shot, but I just think there are 30 other teams that could beat that offer quite easily.

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Forward group is crowded. Don't think having both Ross and Martin both taking a 50 man roster spot is needed. Don't hate this signing, but who is moving on?
Gauthier for Clutterbuck seems to make too much sense for this tin foiled hat wearing fella.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Sadly all three are probably improvements at this stage
I'm only familiar with Gauthier but I feel he can definitely be a 4th liner for us. And play up in a pinch. He's more effective than Martin definitely and makes less on the cap.

Tahoeblue

Nov 29, 2019
Reno/Tahoe
Gauthier for Clutterbuck seems to make too much sense for this tin foiled hat wearing fella.
I totally agree. Appreciate what he does and his contributions to this team, but my humble opinion this is an opportunity to save against the cap, open roster space, and get younger. Granted this team needs upgrades in the top 6 as well, but might as well improve the other areas ASAP. Thanks for responding!

Reactions: NYI365

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
If all three are healthy there's no chance Gauthier is in over Martin or Clutterbuck. Doesn't bring anything physically, doesn't PK and is only good for coming down the wing with speed.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That's it in a nut shell - we have too many guys right now. Too many bottom 6 guys, taboot.

But the start of the season is a long way away. And being that Gauthier is signed to a minimum deal, there's no real down side to this move (other than taking up a roster spot). And he could be one of those guys where things click later in his career. Is that likely? Probably not, but he has the raw skills and size, maybe the game will slow down for him? Wouldn't be the first guy who's a late bloomer.

He's a lottery ticket.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Just came by to ask, do you guys think Parise is retiring with Lou signing these depth guys? Haven't heard his decision at all yet, right?
Not sure, all these signings were right shot right wingers or centers. Parise was exclusively a left winger (obviously left shot) for the Islanders with very rare spot duty at center.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
So we definitely have some work to do at F now because there's too many one way bodies.

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom
Gauthier
Johnston

Holmstrom is waiver exempt so they can put him in BRI if need be but there's still too many cooks in the kitchen
Like 4-5 guys there can be waived no problem. It's not an issue.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
That goal he scored against us last year when be blew by Salo must’ve made an impression on Lou. Love the speed and size for our 4th line.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom
Gauthier
Johnston

What about Kuhlman and Pinho. Don't we have enough bottom 6 depth already?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Lee-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Wahlstrom
Gauthier
Johnston

No, nada, nope.

Gauthier/Fasching/Holmstrom/Johnston/Wahlstrom duke it out for the two third line wing positions. If Parise comes back, the aforementioned five are fighting for the 3RW position.

Holmstrom can be assigned to Bridgeport without having to pass through waivers, so unless he clearly wins a job, it's likely he'll be traded.

At this ponit, they can keep everyone because Parise is not in the fold.

impaaaaaact

Jan 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
He's just fast right? Big and fast? Carries the puck out of the zone but doesn't PK or PP? Not quite writing him in to the lineup yet, don't exactly see where he fits.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
That's it in a nut shell - we have too many guys right now. Too many bottom 6 guys, taboot.

But the start of the season is a long way away. And being that Gauthier is signed to a minimum deal, there's no real down side to this move (other than taking up a roster spot). And he could be one of those guys where things click later in his career. Is that likely? Probably not, but he has the raw skills and size, maybe the game will slow down for him? Wouldn't be the first guy who's a late bloomer.

He's a lottery ticket.

We should have seen more of these signings rather than locking up bottom six players these last couple of years. I do not believe he ever puts it all together but having a big bodied forward who can skate is NEVER a bad thing.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
We should have seen more of these signings rather than locking up bottom six players these last couple of years. I do not believe he ever puts it all together but having a big bodied forward who can skate is NEVER a bad thing.
Waive Clutterbuck. Waive Martin.

Reactions: Ishkabible

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Waive Clutterbuck. Waive Martin.

Martin just came off of a solid year. I would give him another shot. Clutterbuck on the other hand should be gone. Fasching, Durandeau, Gauthier, etc are already going to play half his games when he gets hurt anyway. May as well give these guys a shot to build some chemistry.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Martin just came off of a solid year. I would give him another shot.
Why bother? What does he give us that can’t be provided by someone else? Or better yet, waive Martin and go in a different direction from the Identity Line. Give Cizikas 2 wingers with better motors than 15 and 17. Besides at this point what are the chances that Martin has another solid year?

I get it that it’s tough to say goodbye, but the time has come.

Reactions: Ishkabible

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Why bother? What does he give us that can’t be provided by someone else? Or better yet, waive Martin and go in a different direction from the Identity Line. Give Cizikas 2 wingers with better motors than 15 and 17. Besides at this point what are the chances that Martin has another solid year?

That's what I want. I'm tired of a singular line being responsible for the physicality in the lineup. They don't do it as well as they used to either so now it's just about them hitting and doing nothing else.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
That's what I want. I'm tired of a singular line being responsible for the physicality in the lineup. They don't do it as well as they used to either so now it's just about them hitting and doing nothing else.
That line monopolizes too much ice time and 2 wingers hanging on to the NHL by a thread. They’re just not worth it for what they produce.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

That would be fine as well. I don't see them moving on from Martin just yet though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad